Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #436
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
To much plastik for my opinion,but for sure a good camera
According to the Nikon Site:

QuoteQuote:
Compact but durable with magnesium-alloy top and rear covers, superior weather and dust seals and a 150,000 cycle-rated shutter system providing reliable operation

09-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #437
Veteran Member

only the backside and the topcover are made of metal,the complete bodybase and front+griparea is made of plastic/polycarbonate.
not to compare with k-7/5 and d300.they are the top of durability in aps-c range.
09-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #438
Veteran Member

Nikons neue Mittelklasse-Kamera: D7000 (aktualisiert) | photoscala

http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.photoscala.de%2FArti...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8

please scoll down......the metalparts are screwed in plasticparts,not like in the d300 and k-7.complete different bodystyle.sure,made good but much lower than the big sister and the pentax.
best regards,andy
09-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #439
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Nikon = button overload.

that's actually what I like about nikon, Canon are too software dependant and use a rather minimalist camera design, but that isn't what canon is good at. Leica certainly have the minimalist design thing working in their favour.Pentax I would rank as having the most in common with nikon..that is why I find it easier to switch between my K-7 and D3, I sometimes get annoyed with my Canon 1 series bodies for not having controls for certain functions.

09-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #440
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
that's actually what I like about nikon, Canon are too software dependant and use a rather minimalist camera design, but that isn't what canon is good at. Leica certainly have the minimalist design thing working in their favour.Pentax I would rank as having the most in common with nikon..that is why I find it easier to switch between my K-7 and D3, I sometimes get annoyed with my Canon 1 series bodies for not having controls for certain functions.
I do agree that in terms of control ergonomics and user interface, Nikon is close enough to Pentax. Canon make fine cameras but their design engineers need to go back for a refresher class in design. Infuriatingly disconnected controls...
09-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #441
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
why would you choose the K-5 instead of the new Nikon D7000?
Well, my K mount glass will probably work much better with the K-5 than the D7000.

But I agree that IF the rumored K-5 specs and price are correct, they'll certainly have a harder time attracting new customers compared to this Nikon. Then again, the D7000 will probably force Pentax to reduce their price so we'll gain from the competition.
09-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #442
Site Supporter

I do agree that in terms of control ergonomics and user interface, Nikon is close enough to Pentax. Canon make fine cameras but their design engineers need to go back for a refresher class in design. Infuriatingly disconnected controls...
Apparently the build quality of the D7000 is just a smoke screen in comparison to the K-7 and I would assume the K-5. See Zackspeeds post regarding the attachment of the magnesium cover.

09-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #443
Veteran Member

I could not disagree more... but i'm not saying my opinion is any more valid than yours. I own 3 Canon bodies (1DmkIII, 5dmkII, 30D) and 2 Pentax bodies (K20d, K-7)... and I shoot 2 Nikon bodies on a regular basis for other companies (D200, D3). The Nikon cameras continue to confound me in spite of the fact that I have used them on at least 50 shoots.

Pentax has by far the best control layouts. The only thing I truly despise about the Canon cameras is the 9-point AF control on the 30D and 5dmkII (words cannot begin to describe how stupid it is... if you have not already experienced this). The list of things that confuse me about Nikon grows every time I take one of their camera's out... try formatting the memory card without the manual handy, sometimes the flash power increases by full stops and sometimes increases by 1/3, it takes 2 buttons and a wheel (used simultaneously) to zoom in on an image... and I don't think you can go to the next image unless you come out of the "zoom mode" on the current image (I might be wrong here but I could not figure it out yesterday when I was in a hurry)
09-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #444
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience is rather limited with other brands, since whenever I use them I feel like I am being forcibly probed by their design team.

Pentax has the best ergonomics in terms of feeling in the hand and UI design. Of this there is no doubt. They should build on this and innovate further. The K-x has a mappable Green button but most of the options are poorer choices than the default. A completely mappable button and switch plus "My Menu" type arrangement would rock.
09-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #445
Inactive Account

d7k's mag alloy

is as described, different from big sister. top and back vs top front and bottom.
seems like the lens mount in the d300 is screwed into the mag alloy body vs plastic in the d7000
what about the k7?

and of course our beloved k7

09-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #446
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The K-x has a mappable Green button but most of the options are poorer choices than the default.
Not exactly, the optical DOF is only available through the green button on the K-x.
09-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #447
Veteran Member

The next Pentax ad should show the K-7 (or soon to be announced K-5) in a Terminator style match-up with the D7000. Visualize the scene where the Terminator goes after Sarah Conner... your K-7 exterior being burnt away to show the magnesium endo-skeleton while the competition is just a melted mass of plastic with just the metal top and bottom panels remaining. With a Pentax there's more than meets the eye under the skin...
09-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #448
Pentaxian

I don't think the difference is that big. The D7000 has a plastic front, the K-7 has a plastic back. Although admittedly the K7 does seem to be sturdier.
09-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #449

Is interesting in comparing the 2 bodys.. D7000 vs. K7... Looking front on with the images posted previously, K7 is very enclosed, very smooth, D7000 has a number of gaps in the body (to reduce weight?), I would imagine this K7 would significantly help with WR as there are less entry points for Water/Dust... of course, this is a front view only... dont know how the plastic back on the K7 looks.
09-17-2010, 04:18 AM   #450
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Not exactly, the optical DOF is only available through the green button on the K-x.
Yeah, that's why I said "most" Though I personally don't find a use for optical DOF on a digital camera with instant review on the LCD.