Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 04:30 AM   #451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Yeah, that's why I said "most" Though I personally don't find a use for optical DOF on a digital camera with instant review on the LCD.
I don't use it that way. In liveview mode the K-x has the strange habit of stopping down the lens (the K-7 doesn't do that). Ex: you want to focus a 50mm f/1.4 @f/1.4, the K-x will start the liveview in f/2.8 even in Av mode. So I use the optical DOF preview to set the aperture correctly during LV.

09-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #452
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I'm not buying a K5, but on the other hand I could really care less what Chase Jarvis whoever he is thinks. And...I would never take a camera review serious that uses "kick a##" to describe the camera. It's like totally like non like serious like you know.
===========================

What remains to be seen with the K-5 is whether it will continuously autofocus in HD like the (lesser $$) D7000 will.

I have quite a few Pentax lenses wanting to know.

Uh ...This HD1080p ain't too shabby ...

The SunBreak | A&E | Visual Arts | Chase Jarvis Road Tests the Nikon D7000, Makes Benevolent Mischief

Last edited by Rite; 09-17-2010 at 08:46 AM.
09-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #453
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I don't think the difference is that big. The D7000 has a plastic front, the K-7 has a plastic back. Although admittedly the K7 does seem to be sturdier.
The lens mount is on the front.
09-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #454
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eccentricphotography Quote
LOL. Yes I'd agree about the output as it looks here. But I'd never leave it there. The white balance on the cooler side shows more color gremlins than on the warmer side, which is what the actual lighting was. The other camera used at this wedding was a d700 and had nearly the same output in noise since I turn off all NR in camera preferring to use Topaz. Take a look at the finished product on page 29. that is absolutely usable in my unhumble opinion
I hope you didn't think I was knocking You in my comment, not the case. I've read however since day one, how every other camera but the Kx sucks at high ISO performance. Not only that but that if Pentax didn't get on the ball real quick with matching it in other cameras, they were doomed. Taking your cleaned up versions into account (I like the monochrome one best btw), I would submit that similar results can be had from other cameras, using the same techniques, and processing as you used. My point was, what is all the Hype about? I expected an Out of camera image to be clean and your photo clearly demonstrated, they are not.

09-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #455
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm interested if the Lens coupler on the K-5 will be like that of the D7000 - allowing for mechanical or electronic aperture coupling. Clearly aimed at Pentax in terms of existing lens compatibility.

I know some of you have already discussed this on other forums.

Last edited by Clarkey; 09-17-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: add what I was talking about...
09-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #456
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I'm interested if the Lens coupler on the K-5 will be like that of the D7000 - allowing for mechanical or electronic aperture coupling. Clearly aimed at Pentax in terms of existing lens compatibility.

I know some of you have already discussed this on other forums.
Shouldn't the mount be like the one on the K-7? It sounds like you are asking if they are doing away with the screw drive.
09-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #457

I think he means whether Pentax might finally get around to uncripple the mount, so that M and K lenses are as unhindered in their use as they were meant to be.

09-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #458
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Shouldn't the mount be like the one on the K-7? It sounds like you are asking if they are doing away with the screw drive.
QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
I think he means whether Pentax might finally get around to uncripple the mount, so that M and K lenses are as unhindered in their use as they were meant to be.
Yup, the D7000 mount looks like it is uncrippled for use with Ai lenses of the same vintage as M and K. This is pretty huge.

Oh, I think we will have the screw drive for a wee while yet.
09-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #459
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
O.k. I realize what you mean now. I'm not sure I see Pentax adding the mechanical aperture actuator back to the body at this point in the game. It would work with the M & k series but wouldn't do much for the m42. Granted, it would also work with 3rd party M type lenses as well, but Pentax has rarely shown concern about 3rd party accessories, especially the last 15 years. I bet Hoya is even worse.

Edit: However, if Pentax releases a FF dSLR, I wouldn't be surprised if it has the actuator. Perhaps if they have it in the works it will show up on the K-5. However, with the Green Button, I don't think that is a deal breaker on the K-5
09-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #460
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

O.k. I realize what you mean now. I'm not sure I see Pentax adding the mechanical aperture actuator back to the body at this point in the game. It would work with the M & k series but wouldn't do much for the m42. Granted, it would also work with 3rd party M type lenses as well, but Pentax has rarely shown concern about 3rd party accessories, especially the last 15 years. I bet Hoya is even worse.

Edit: However, if Pentax releases a FF dSLR, I wouldn't be surprised if it has the actuator. Perhaps if they have it in the works it will show up on the K-5. However, with the Green Button, I don't think that is a deal breaker on the K-5
Good point regarding M42.

I guess that is the thing. Nikon already include the actuator on their FF bodies. This is the first time that it has shown up on an APS-C body (i.e. more available to the enthusiast market).
Pentax sells reverse compatibility as a feature, so I would have thought this be very important to add to the feature set. No more F--, unless using M42.
09-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #461
Pentaxian

Edit: However, if Pentax releases a FF dSLR, I wouldn't be surprised if it has the actuator.
That's what I thought too. The FF model needs something to stand out in the crowd, and with the diaphragm actuator back in place it surely gets a lot of attention. That my K-mount lenses suddenly are worth more is a plus
09-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #462
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
try formatting the memory card without the manual handy
On the D700/D300/D300s you just have to hold two buttons simultaneously. Don't even have to go into a menu.

QuoteQuote:
it takes 2 buttons and a wheel (used simultaneously) to zoom in on an image...
Or you can set the center button to toggle the zoom to 100% in one click. Incredibly handy.

QuoteQuote:
And I don't think you can go to the next image unless you come out of the "zoom mode" on the current image (I might be wrong here but I could not figure it out yesterday when I was in a hurry)
See above.
09-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #463
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
On the D700/D300/D300s you just have to hold two buttons simultaneously. Don't even have to go into a menu.
Wow!
Sounds dangerous
09-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #464
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Wow!
Sounds dangerous
Well, you have to press them again to actually go through with the formatting.
09-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #465
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Well, you have to press them again to actually go through with the formatting.
Like I said - try figuring that out without the manual handy ... Don't forget the wait times - first when you push the buttons... and then before you push them again.