Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm surprised no-one in this discussion has referenced this chart shown by Hoya (alongside a range of other interesting, but in Japanese, diagrams) at the K-r launch:

from ƒyƒ“ƒ^ƒbƒNƒX�A�uK-r�v‚�V�•i”*•\‰ - ƒfƒWƒJƒ�Watch

So I expect for the post-Photokina future the line up will be:

HI-END: 645d
Middle: K-5 (since production of K-7 has reportedly stopped already)
Entry: K-r
Entry: K-x, until it is phased out.

DCWatch also reports that from 30 September 2010 the K-x will no longer be available in multiple colours, but will continue to be available in a standard colour (black?), so I guess that shows the writing is on the wall for the K-x.

Last edited by rawr; 09-11-2010 at 07:48 AM.
09-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree the lineup will ultimately look like
K-r
K-5
645D

There simply aren't significant differences between the K-r and K-x to justify selling both long term (like MP); the K-r is clearly an tweaked version of the K-x and not a new model meant to sit above it. Of course, Pentax will continue to sell the K-x and K-7 until they deplete their inventory (and likely until the prices of the new cameras drop so to continue to provide attractive price points).
09-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The biggest problem with Hoya's pyramid chart is that there's an $8500 pricing gap between the high end and middle. The K-5 is certainly closer but there's very little stepping room from one level to the next unlike Canikon. They definitely need at least 4 cameras in play to arouse interest and give consumers more choice. Since the K-r is priced and spec'd as a mid-level camera I'd say keep the K-x around or demote the K-7 to entry as both still top FPS from the likes of a D3000/D3100. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot with lost sales I think.

Last edited by F-Stop; 09-11-2010 at 08:19 AM.
09-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #19

Curious what features seem to drive this, personally I'd like

1: FF (not alone in that ...just a matter of time I guess)
2: Low ISO (They keep going for high ISO ...how about I set the speed ...30sec+ ... you just keep counting the photons [RAM is cheap] and end up with a correct exposure ...even if that ends up being ISO 4 ) having to use ND filters on a digital camera aways seems daft ...throwing away precious photons.
3: Battery ... when you're on a shoot and your last set of batteries have just died and you absolutely MUST get that shot ... you can always beg borrow or steal some AA.

09-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graemev2 Quote
3: Battery ... when you're on a shoot and your last set of batteries have just died and you absolutely MUST get that shot ... you can always beg borrow or steal some AA.
You can already have this with the K-7, the additional grip allow for Li-On or 6 AAs.

For the line-up I don't see K-x and K-7 surviving the new cameras. If they cost the same to build as K-r and K-5 there's no point for Hoya to keep these cameras in the line-up as they will have to sell them very cheap at almost no profit.
09-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #21
Forum Member

I just realized how bigger the K-r is than the K-x. Perhaps the two can coexist.
09-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #22

Well - local dealers in different regions could "position" them differently - the K-X, while nearing the end of its model-run in the US, etc - could linger on for years, priced higher than the K-R - both with std kit Pentax 18-55mm...

While joking a bit - it is actually based on (Sydney, Oz) - fact.

My closest local camera shop - and it is a professionally run store with shops in other cities in Oz - I've bought 2 cameras - Canon SX10 and Fuji HS10, and cards, filters, etc, there - is still offering the K-M (K2000), for AUD$799.00 with Pentax 18-55mm kit - while you can have a K-X, with same Pentax 18-55mm kit, for $82.00 less - $717.00.

Gets funnier - with the K-M (K2000) - you can get the Pentax twin-lens 18-55 / 50-200 kit - for a mere $975.00... However, you can't get that Pentax twin-lens kit with the K-X at all - the closest to it the K-X gets is the Sigma pair - 18-55 and 50-200, for $749.00...

Of course, we still don't get the Pentax 18-55 and 55-300mm kit at all - seems to be US and EU only.

If the K-M (K2000) / K-X "deals" seem wacko - I do have a screenshot and have D/L'd the page...

Regards, Dave.
09-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alessandro63 Quote
I just realized how bigger the K-r is than the K-x. Perhaps the two can coexist.
The difference in size is quite minor, I think

Images from dcwatch japan

Mainly I think they needed more room for the bigger rear display. But it's a marginal increase in size and weight overall.

It's funny, but looking at the two side-by-side I think the K-r design seems to be pretending that it has a pentaprism inside, not just a penta-mirror like the K-x.

Last edited by rawr; 09-11-2010 at 06:38 PM.
09-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #24

Just realized that the 4-way controller is quite low in K-r as well. After using K200D for long and started using K-x, I find moving my thumb between the dial and the 4-way controller (in Kx) for zooming/browsing images is very painful.
K-r is also going to be painful, I think.

BTW. Is there anyway, I can browse while at the same zoom (magnification) levels (like in Canikon)?
09-13-2010, 05:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
BTW. Is there anyway, I can browse while at the same zoom (magnification) levels (like in Canikon)?
You can do it with the 2 dials cameras (K-7, K20D, K10D, etc.) the front dial is used to browse while keeping the same magnification. Fortunately in the latest cameras like the K-x there is a function to compare two images at the same zoom (press down button in review mode and choose "image comparison").