Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
music_lover

Pentax K-5 I want it

the difference , i wanted to know is whether 7FPS or 8FPS is right?

Regardless, I originally said I wanted Pentax K-7, but there was something in me told me to hold off, and i sure glad I did.

What would be a good Zoom lens besides the 16-50? and is there such a thing as Pentax 18-135mm lens?

Does anybody know the real specs, I have found 2 different ones, here they are:

Brief info about K-5 and K-R

PENTAX K-5:
- 16 million pixels (SONY new sensor)
- ISO 25600
- 7 frames per sec as noted here
- ¥ 139,000 (too high price - $1625 , but it could be $1400 at US market))
- announcement on September 20
- Released in mid-October

But this next one seems more Legit.

K-5 details:
• $1699 US Body Only
• $1999 AU Body Only
• Magnesium body with plastic and rubber exterior, 80 weather seals.
• Tempered glass top and rear LCD
• 16.2mp Sony EXEMOR Sensor • 23.6 x 15.8 mm CMOS sensor
• Dimensions 131 x 97 x 73mm
• Weight 770g
Focusing
• Complete new AF system superior algorithms.
• 18-point wide autofocus system (SAFOX IX+)
• AF-Single
• AF-Continuous
• 4 Custom AF-C modes, auto, action, portrait, night
• Manual focus
Sensitivity
• ISO standard : 200-12800
• Expanded ISO : 50 – 25,600
Movie mode
• AVi (Motion JPEG)
• 1920 x 1080 25p, 30p
• 1280×720 25p, 30p
• 640 x 480, 25p, 30p
• Av, Sv, Tv and M modes for video.
• External stereo mic jack.
• Movie processing including Custom Image, Cross Process and selected Digital Filters
Viewfinder
• penta-prism
• Hybrid VF utilizing translucent LCD to display focus points and framing grid.
Flash
• Angle of view coverage: 28mm wide-angle (35mm equivalent)
• Flash Exposure Compensation: -2 EV – +1EV (1/2EV steps)
• P-TTL (Is same P-ttl as in 645D)
• Hot shoe, sync-speed: 1/180 sec. (will have 1/250 available with new flashes to be released First half 2011)
• Wireless-sync with PENTAX dedicated flash and IrSimple.
Continuous shooting • Hi speed: 8fps and here
Connectivity • USB/Video
• USB 2.0
• HDMI
Storage
• Dual SD or SDHC card

Last edited by music_lover; 09-10-2010 at 08:07 AM.
09-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are the most probable K-5 specs: Pentax K 5 Specifications Official - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

We already have a K-5 specification discussion thread. Please post further questions there. Moved to Pentax rumors.

It seems now that the K-5 will actually have 8 FPS, since the K-r has 6.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kricha6431 Quote
What would be a good Zoom lens besides the 16-50? and is there such a thing as Pentax 18-135mm lens?
If you're interested in a camera like the K-5, you might want to consider the compromises inherent in a lens like that.....
09-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have had every top-end Pentax DSLR since the *istD, I had one D for the longest time (carried a film as 2nd body/back-up), than got a second one used and never went back to only 1 DSLR, Since than I have had 2 K10's (thought it was worth the 2 investment because of how much better it was than the D (though still used the D for low-light at the K10 only did crappy 1600) than had A K20 and now a K7 (got the K7 overnighted about 2-days after it hit the market) I did "rent" another K7 for a few weeks to see if it was worth the 2nd body (over just carrying the K20) and decided though nice, I could not justify the price, Now the K5 I will probably overnight one ASAP as I want both some real improvments in AF speed and FPS and My K7 is taking a beeting, With almost 80K on it and enough dings, scraches and paint-rubbing off as it has I fear that it will die if continued use at the current abuse rate.
The K5 if its specs are true:
6-8fps is fine with me as long as they have a new AF
AF must be faster in all light, and esp in AF-C mode, Currently even the K7 in AF-C mode only will do about 2-3fps under fast action, now true I over come this by MF some times and I know when to start firing, but sometimes when it is thinking I end up missing the shot if in AF-C and even manually focusing I must run with an Appiture around F5.6 to keep DOF wide enough for my eye/hand to match up to the action etc.
Overall though I will get the K5 for the main reason that I need to give my K7 a bit of a break. It has been in the shop 2 times already and only want it there another 1 time max before retiring it to the bookshelf and really I would just like to keep it running in deff. like even my *ist-D's are (I do a decent amount of Remote-camera work with my older DSLR's now)

If you are justifying purchase because of price/use I understand (if you only use it say on the weekends) For me its a job and money-making tool, and partially still just fun to get a new camera every X# of years. The K5 pre-production/rumor specs are good and even if they turn out to be just marginally better than the K7, If you dont have a K7 I would recommend it so far sight unseen, Most DSLR's these days for the average consumer I think I could say the same, exceptions come in if you specialize in a area that demands a lot from a camera like low-light indoor sports or high-end model/mag adds, but in general it should be good. Pentax aint rocket scientests but they do know how to make a darn good proverbial combustion engine.

Last edited by BrendanPK; 09-12-2010 at 05:09 PM.
09-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
I have had every top-end Pentax DSLR since the *istD, I had one D for the longest time (carried a film as 2nd body/back-up), than got a second one used and never went back to only 1 DSLR, Since than I have had 2 K10's (thought it was worth the 2 investment because of how much better it was than the D (though still used the D for low-light at the K10 only did crappy 1600) than had A K20 and now a K7 (got the K7 overnighted about 2-days after it hit the market) I did "rent" another K7 for a few weeks to see if it was worth the 2nd body (over just carrying the K20) and decided though nice, I could not justify the price, Now the K5 I will probably overnight one ASAP as I want both some real improvments in AF speed and FPS and My K7 is taking a beeting, With almost 80K on it and enough dings, scraches and paint-rubbing off as it has I fear that it will die if continued use at the current abuse rate.
The K5 if its specs are true:
6-8fps is fine with me as long as they have a new AF
AF must be faster in all light, and esp in AF-C mode, Currently even the K7 in AF-C mode only will do about 2-3fps under fast action, now true I over come this by MF some times and I know when to start firing, but sometimes when it is thinking I end up missing the shot if in AF-C and even manually focusing I must run with an Appiture around F5.6 to keep DOF wide enough for my eye/hand to match up to the action etc.
Overall though I will get the K5 for the main reason that I need to give my K7 a bit of a break. It has been in the shop 2 times already and only want it there another 1 time max before retiring it to the bookshelf and really I would just like to keep it running in deff. like even my *ist-D's are (I do a decent amount of Remote-camera work with my older DSLR's now)

If you are justifying purchase because of price/use I understand (if you only use it say on the weekends) For me its a job and money-making tool, and partially still just fun to get a new camera every X# of years. The K5 pre-production/rumor specs are good and even if they turn out to be just marginally better than the K7, If you dont have a K7 I would recommend it so far sight unseen, Most DSLR's these days for the average consumer I think I could say the same, exceptions come in if you specialize in a area that demands a lot from a camera like low-light indoor sports or high-end model/mag adds, but in general it should be good. Pentax aint rocket scientests but they do know how to make a darn good proverbial combustion engine.
thanks for the info
09-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by music_lover Quote
thanks for the info
No problem, Its really a decision more on the wallet it sounds for you than overall Quality/function. The K10D is VERY capable in the right hands, but if you find yourself outgrowing its capabilities (very possible) And have the $$ go for the K5, or even better pick up a used K7 for uber cheep after the K5 comes out
09-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by music_lover Quote
and is there such a thing as Pentax 18-135mm lens?
Superzooms supersuck. Slow and blurry at the long end, fish-eyed at the short end, and with heavy chromatic aberration at both ends...

09-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Superzooms supersuck. Slow and blurry at the long end, fish-eyed at the short end, and with heavy chromatic aberration at both ends...
See Photozone test for Nikon iteration of a 18-135.

This is not yet superzoom realm, and you can get quite decent performer, sure you can't expect the same performance as a 2.8 pro zoom, but it can be a very good all around lens, especially it it's suported in Lightroom or DXO.

Sure don't expect a prime lens performance, but different lens, different job.
09-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
These are the most probable K-5 specs: Pentax K 5 Specifications Official - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

We already have a K-5 specification discussion thread. Please post further questions there. Moved to Pentax rumors.

It seems now that the K-5 will actually have 8 FPS, since the K-r has 6.

Sorry Adam, but K5 will be "only" 7fps (wich is already a big performance for K20D users like me! )
K5: 7fps
09-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
Sorry Adam, but K5 will be "only" 7fps (wich is already a big performance for K20D users like me! )
K5: 7fps
Doesn't the site state that official data were not found with concluded spec's as assumed basic data...
09-15-2010, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #11

I want it too, and I'll take it for $1299.

That is what I consider a fair price based on the specs of the Nikon D7000, which will sell for retail of $1199.

Ted
09-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
That is what I consider a fair price based on the specs of the Nikon D7000, which will sell for retail of $1199.

Ted
I'd agree with you there, although I'll probably be stupid and buy it for $1,400 or whatever they release it at since I need it for a wedding in October.
09-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'd agree with you there, although I'll probably be stupid and buy it for $1,400 or whatever they release it at since I need it for a wedding in October.
d7000 won't be out till october, so hope the wedding is later in the month, and good luck to you if you can get it before then.
09-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Not always, my wife's DA 18-250 is a pretty good lens, no serious signs of your concerns, even lot better than my FA 35-80. So naturally I expect 18-135 will be better than 18-250.
09-16-2010, 01:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

You obviously have had experience with a bad copy. My Tamron 18-250 is a gem. Not the fastest in the world, but in 95% of my normal shooting situations, it gets the job done quite nicely when I dont or cant take a lens bag around with me.

Jason