Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 5 is photoshopped into this photo of the K-7: just zoom in a bit and you'll see pixelation and misalignment.
Adam, which photo of the K-7? Besides, how do you explain the minor structure differences (mode knob, AF switch, front wheel)? I downloaded the big Lenstip photo and besides the fake reflection etc. my non-photoshop-trained eye sees no obvious signs of a photoshopped K-7 picture.

09-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 5 is photoshopped into this photo of the K-7: just zoom in a bit and you'll see pixelation and misalignment.

I can bet my K-7 that this is a real photo.
Will be funny to see what you will say in 10 days
09-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just compared the picture with my K7. The mode dial is indeed different. the K7 has 3 rows of the little spike grooves on the side, and in this picture there are 4.
09-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cyy47 Quote
I just compared the picture with my K7. The mode dial is indeed different. the K7 has 3 rows of the little spike grooves on the side, and in this picture there are 4.
No shit Sherlock! It was already often mentioned in this topic.

(I don't blame you, sometimes it's hard to keep up with all of those new posts...)

09-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyy47 Quote
Give me 5 minutes and I'll give you 10 rows... naturally, there will be no change in the perspective of the top row or the lock button, since it isn't really getting any taller (just like the K-5 image here).

Open the image in a decent image editor and zoom in on the black texture around the SR logo - you won't even need to do any brightness or contrasting or look at the individual channels.

That's bad photoshopping, whether from corporate or not... but whatever. I don't expect a new body to vastly different in any case. This is a K10-K20 kind of "upgrade year" right?

Last edited by panoguy; 09-10-2010 at 12:46 PM.
09-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #21
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Open the image in a decent image editor and zoom in on the black texture around the SR logo - you won't even need to do any brightness or contrasting or look at the individual channels.
Can you show in this picture what you mean?
Attached Images

09-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Can you show in this picture what you mean?
Not sure what that crop has to do with the "leaked" image?

Oh wait, you have that super "enhance" button like on CSI or in Blade Runner....

This is what I see:

Yeah... no photoshop there... just a noisy section of the image.

09-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #23
emr

What's it got to do??? It's a crop from the "leaked" image! The original Lenstip image is of 2831 x 2230 resolution. Besides, I can't see what you mean from your crop.
09-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #24
Pentaxian

What's it got to do??? It's a crop from the "leaked" image! The original Lenstip image is of 2831 x 2230 resolution. Besides, I can't see what you mean from your crop.
Ooohhhh.... so not the image at the beginning of this thread that everyone else has been discussing! I get it. You're talking about some other thing somewhere else. Riiiiight...

Link to the "original" image please?
(And, no, I'm not going to look through the other K-5 rumor threads here... this one is just barely holding my attention!)

And if you can't see the editing errors, well, you need a better monitor or better eyes. (Okay, that was harsh. Maybe you need 15 years of retouching experience - certainly helps me!)
09-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Link to the "original" image please?
(And, no, I'm not going to look through the other K-5 rumor threads here... this one is just barely holding my attention!)
It seems that image was pulled out from those two webpages which published it.
09-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #26
emr

Somebody posted that the link is now dead, but I'll attach the 1.1MB picture. It's too big to attach as a JPEG, but I'll rename it to .zip, don't have suitable zipper available. Let's see if it works.

So it's only renamed, not zipped!
Attached Files
File Type: zip pentax_k5.zip (1.09 MB, 195 views)
09-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #27

I know Lenstip for a few years now and they are as reliable as DPReview. So as they said they get this picture from Hoya (probably a pack of pictures sent to journalists to prepare the release communicate) I have no doubt that is a genuine picture.
By the way, you must check this website more often, they offer lens test as good (even better?) than Photozone.de! ;-)
09-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Somebody posted that the link is now dead, but I'll attach the 1.1MB picture. It's too big to attach as a JPEG, but I'll rename it to .zip, don't have suitable zipper available. Let's see if it works.

Looks good!
Thanks
09-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I seriously tried every zip utility around, until I had dinner and re-read that last line!

The larger file (which is not what I/we were looking at from the beginning of this post), has definitely been photoshopped. But not where I thought from the low-res image!

The mode dial, for one, hasn't been "digitally enlarged" (there are even unrepeated fibers and dust on it!). So, like I said earlier, it probably is a marketing image, but now I can see that Pentax had a half-decent studio shoot and retouch it.

What's been touched up (if anyone cares) are the SR logo, the K-5 logo, and every button (especially the shutter release) was heavily smoothed with noise added. The lens and top of the prism housing are quite obviously from a different time and place (K-7 era), and the chrome lugs were dropped in from a different lighting setup. Other than that, even the large image is too low-res to see any other work that probably went into this. I would've cleaned up the fit and finish of the seams if it was a prototype, but all they had to do was repaint a production K-7 body so that would've been disingenuous.

So, emr, if this thread had started with the larger image posted or linked to, then I'd have agreed it's a leaked promo photo (that lenstip added a cheesy reflection to?). But, really, that initial postage-stamp jpeg amplified all kinds of crap which looks like a weekend-dabbler's retouching job.

Personally, I like the "tootsie-roll" mode dial...
09-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Uhhh. Where is the Photoshopping evidence?
http://cl.ly/1a40511a0fa4f0936e82

I think what you're mistaking for a bad Photoshop job is just compression artifacts.