Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #16
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
He's the owner, proprietor and main author over at The Online Photographer Blog. He's at least my age and unlike me has spent his entire life in the world of photography, much of it as an editor. Very knowledgeable guy. He writes much less formally than the guys over at Luminous Landscape which is one of the reasons why so many people read him daily. I've gotten a lot of great ideas from his blog, in fact, it's probably my favorite photography blog out there.

He does tend to say what's on his mind without thinking TOO hard about it, and I think that's what he did the other day when he dissed the new Pentax 35 f/2.4. He got a ton of feedback telling him he was wrong, and he seems to have listened, hence today's apology.

If you love photography, I recommend that you check his blog out.

Will
Totally agree! I love that site. I enjoy his writing style. As a previous editor at various magazines, he really has a nice way with words. Very sensible. A lot of wisdom there. For those that don't know he is also the one that praised the DA 35 mm Macro as one of the best lenses. I think he stated so in this second post. That is what started the long running thread on 'the theory on the DA 35 mm being the greatest...' (something like that).

09-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Please have a look at my post

I have more than a few good things to say about Mike and TOP:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/96946-one-stop...-listings.html

Hope you find some useful links. If anyone has any useful additions they don't find scattered (I do mean scattered :- ) ) within, please pm a link or two.

Best,

Nic

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Totally agree! I love that site. I enjoy his writing style. As a previous editor at various magazines, he really has a nice way with words. Very sensible. A lot of wisdom there. For those that don't know he is also the one that praised the DA 35 mm Macro as one of the best lenses. I think he stated so in this second post. That is what started the long running thread on 'the theory on the DA 35 mm being the greatest...' (something like that).
09-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
^ Good comments, indeed.

Here's one that I agree with, and I believe is Pentax's decision behind such a lens:

"So Pentax is encouraging K-x and K-r buyers to experience the pleasures of a matched normal prime that goes with those killer little cameras. That's a move I should approve of. I do."
If the new lens is very good optically, and I have no doubt that it is, it may be the first cheap shot for a new generation of prime lens junkies. That looks like a smart move to me. Mike Johnston obviously is a little sad because it may hurt sales of the DA35 Ltd. which he really has dear, and it probably will, because those new prime lens lovers sure will look for something else than a 35 mm for their second, third or fourth prime lens.
09-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #19
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
It began long before the DA35 when he claimed the FA limited to be the best autofocus lenses money can buy.
QuoteQuote:
Granted, three lenses doth not a legend create. But if you're wondering which autofocus lenses are ne plus ultra, I submit that little has changed since the days of Kennedy and Kent State, Barbie and the Beatles, when "the Pentax" was the best-selling SLR there was and Zeiss was the world's most prestigious cameramaker. Each optical house may be a stately shadow of its former self in the minds of 35mm photographers today, and lens quality may not matter any more anyway — Canon and Nikon are awfully darned good, and nobody makes any dogs, and it's all going digital anyway. But when it comes to the best autofocus lenses in the world, whether for a viewfinder camera or SLRs, it's still Zeiss and Pentax, baby, same as the old days.

09-14-2010, 05:14 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
He's the owner, proprietor and main author over at The Online Photographer Blog. He's at least my age and unlike me has spent his entire life in the world of photography, much of it as an editor. Very knowledgeable guy. He writes much less formally than the guys over at Luminous Landscape which is one of the reasons why so many people read him daily. I've gotten a lot of great ideas from his blog, in fact, it's probably my favorite photography blog out there.

He does tend to say what's on his mind without thinking TOO hard about it, and I think that's what he did the other day when he dissed the new Pentax 35 f/2.4. He got a ton of feedback telling him he was wrong, and he seems to have listened, hence today's apology.

If you love photography, I recommend that you check his blog out.

Will
Fully cosign. The online photographer is one of the few sites dealing with photography that I check on a daily basis.
09-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like to get a sliver DA 35mm f/2.4....

The available colors that match the camera is what make this lens special, I think...
Unless you get a silver K-r and get the sliver FA ltds...