Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #31

Switching to Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What are your reasons to switch from Sony to Pentax? Surely there are some good reasons to do it but I could also think of reasons for switching from Pentax to Sony.

I'm curious in your personal motivation.
That's why I said I will probably keep my Sony. I like both systems. The main fault I have with Sony is their direction they want to go. For the past year, it seemed like they were leaving the advanced level and only going to make entry level cameras. Like I've read about Pentax, I think the way they advertise and market to the pro level is lacking. For a while I didn't think they were going to replace the 700 but recently there are rumours that it will happen at Photokina. They have come out with new models lately but still not a 700 replacement. The problem with Sony is they don't seem to listen to the users of their products. I am thinking lately that the reason the 7xx hasn't come out is because they are redesigning it to be an awesome replacement. The new model's preorders have sold out in some areas so I think they are getting back on track. They do make good cameras and if they look like they will be in it for the long haul, more people will stay with them. You can't invest a lot of money in the system if they won't be there to support you in the future. That's why I am waiting to see what both Pentax and Sony offer during the next year before I actually buy my next camera.
Pentax seemed to be on shaky ground for a while but I think they are turning things around. They listen to their users a little more than Sony does I think. They are heading in the right direction IMO. Eventually I think they will also have FF but their APS-C cameras are built well enough to keep them going in the near future. They will move to FF when the time is right financially. These are just my opinions from what I have been reading.
As far as technical reasons I would buy a Pentax:
1) Weather resistant body
2) The best Auto WB in a camera (this includes all companies)
3) Prime lenses
4) Price
5) In body stabilization (I would not go to Canikon)
6)ability to adjust front/back focus (Sony only has this in their $2000 and up models)
7)Ability to use older glass (Sony took this away on most models but brought it back on the latest one)
8) Camera is built solid (Sony is a little plasticky in this department)if that's a word. lol
9) 7 to 8 FPS (without having to put it in a certain mode to use it)
10) Video for when you need it (Sony has just started to put it in their cameras)
All of these things could be easily put in the new 7xx model from Sony so we will have to wait and see. I really think it will be a good camera but two of the most important things to me are the prime glass and the Auto WB. Those are two things Sony is behind in making.
I think the biggest thing that would help both companies take part of the Canikon market is proper marketing and availability. You can't find a Pentax in ANY store where I live and Sony is limited to two models in Best Buy and Wolf Camera. You have to put the cameras out there for people to try if you want to sell them, otherwise they will pick up a Canon or Nikon which are available everywhere(even Walmart). Pentax was in Walmart at one time. A lot of entry level shoppers buy at Walmart. If you start out with a Pentax, you might move up to a higher model when you out grow it. My point is they should be available in more places than they are currently or the general public will never hear about how good they are. Walmart would be a good place to start along with some camera stores. Walmart is in almost every town. Best buy would also be another good place. Wolf Camera would be another. Just my opinion. They also need some marketing on TV and magazines. People have to know they exist!

09-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
Then you are going to need to support that camera with a Professional Service Center, lens rentals, and more than a 28 lens line up.

Pentax is capitalizing on the social networking market. Smart. Very smart. No one else is doing it with as much flare as Pentax.

But painting cameras fancy colors does nothing to attract the advanced amateur, semi pro, or pro photographer. To be honest, I don't think Pentax even cares. They are selling a crap load of pink Kx's and making money. The bottom line is the bottom line. They market to the under 30 crowd that has a credit card and can afford a 600 buck camera painted in a fancy color. They are not catering or advertising to the people who can afford a $2,000 or more camera.

That's why, I think, you are seeing the third party lens makers dropping the K mount. No one is going to go to the party with a camera bag full of len's. They are going to take their purple Kx and kit 18-55 and tomorrow they will update their face book pages with what they got. Maybe send some photos via E mail to friends.

Which brings us back to the K5. Is it a Pro Camera? From a company that is interested in supporting Professional Photographers?

I think the answer is obvious. There's a lot more to claiming you have a pro camera body than specs.

[/COLOR][/LEFT]
Agreed. Pentax needs those stuff. There is some speculation that Pentax is going to start a Professional Service with the 645D. As for the lenses, Pentax really only needs some fast zooms, and maybe some * or LTD primes, mostly in the telephoto range.
Low-priced Pentax bodies are bringing in customers. Personally, I will never get a dSLR that isn't black (maybe, just maybe... white). But we have to look at Pentax as a company. It's making cameras and selling them, for a profit. I do want my name or initials engraved on my cameras, though.
My only problem is with Pentax Marketing. I love their R&D. Just look at the K-7. As far as I see, it's only flaw is high ISO IQ. But Pentax labelled it semi-pro. The It's WR, light and lot's of other qualities. K-x, a lovely camera with low noise at high ISOs, which should atleast be mid-range, not entry-level. As for the K-5, it's all that and a lot more (assuming specs are real).
I'll give Pentax an idea. A lot more professionals use APS-C than FF cameras. If you're a Photojournalist, you don't need a D3s. You need a K-5 with which you can run in rain, through people and angry mobs, without feeling like you're carrying a rock on your belly. Studio photographers you say? Get the 645D, or another medium-format.
Well, even though I only have the K-x, I have to point it out. I've met people with Canon and Nikon dslrs, much more expensive than mine. There are exceptions, but most shot with the kit lenses (WITHOUT HOODS) in bright sunlight. IMO they don't even own tripods.
I started with the K-x, and am buying more lenses. I could have gotten a D90 with kit, and follow the herd. But I chose to spend the money I saved and more on glass (F50 1.7, 28 2.8 etc) and gear, and some photography courses at the photography school.

IMO it doesn't matter if third-party manufacturers stop producing for the K-mount. What company in it's right mind would make lenses if nobody wants them? Bring more Pro and enthusiasts, and they'll start again.
Look at Olympus's "professional" model, an M4/3.
You're right. There's a lot more to claiming you have a pro camera body than specs, and Pentax already has 80% of that. Just the Pro service and it's good.
09-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
So you would expect some interest from other groups, a couple of really
interesting cameras, good specs, solid offer.
Not a single thread about Pentax news can be found on dpreview Canon
or Nikon forum, nor other Canon forums I'm following.
Then comes the news no more Zeiss or Voigtlander lenses will be offered for Pentax.
What do Pentax have to do to attract some attention?
Without any new buyers it's gonna be hard to become sexy again...
Shouldn't they launch some big advertising right away? I have yet to see
another Pentax camera out there... I know they are a bit more popular in Europe,
but here - nothing, nada.
I'm sure I will pick up the new K-5, but I'm hesitant to spend much more
on the remaining Zeiss glass for example...
When the K-7 and K-x came out, there were several threads on them in the Nikon forums on dpreview....
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I thought so. They have obviously corrected that before I went to the linked page
They now have a black K-r, red K-r and white K-r list for sale at $849.95 but out of stock.

Last edited by Blue; 09-12-2010 at 04:18 PM.
09-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They now have a black K-4, red K-r and white K-r list for sale at $849.95 but out of stock.
LOL, that's hilarious and I believe you, but I still do not see it, in here that was?
09-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #36
Site Supporter

LOL, that's hilarious and I believe you, but I still do not see it, in here that was?
That one was a typo by me.
09-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #37
Inactive Account

That one was a typo by me.
Now you really got me laughing, to my self too!
09-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Now you really got me laughing, to my self too!
I'm wondering if they have a typo on the price of the K-r. Penatax imaging is selling it at 849.90 and the K-x and the various colored K-x at 649.95. I wonder if that means it will be available through Adorama and BH at 700.

09-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #39

That was a forgone conclusion for me when the canceled it right before I had to replace my Viv Series 1. That conclusion has been reinforced over time. There's is even rumors that Sigma is dropping the 105 EX DG macro at least in k-mount and BH shows it as discontinued.
Sigma Telephoto 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens 257109 -

where does it say discontinued?
you probably meant the other sigma 105 mm - non DC one which was selling for 300 dollars and apparently was sold out .. thta one was discontinued.

and btw I am also going to get this one for macro since pentax 100mm is ugly and 100mm WR is too expensive plus it is no better than tamron 90 which is worse than sigma 105 in CA department.
09-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psdigital Quote
Do you think there is another camera coming after the K-5? Like a K-8? The only reason I'm asking is because the Number of the model is less K-5 instead of K-8 but the specs look like it is an upgrade to the K-7. I just wanted to verify that the 5 is an upgrade for the 7.
The model numbers are basically there to sound cool and do not stand up to logical analysis. The K-7 is the replacement/upgrade for the K20D, and the K-5 replaces/upgrades the K-7.
09-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The model numbers are basically there to sound cool and do not stand up to logical analysis. The K-7 is the replacement/upgrade for the K20D, and the K-5 replaces/upgrades the K-7.
K100D, K10D, K20D numbers are pre-Hoya models. I think Pentax opted not to following Canon model naming - 10D, 20D etc. Even the Canon 5D and 7D are also confusing. But the industry generally accepts smaller number being the more enhanced/advanced model. Therefore, k-5 should be better than k-7. But then, why no "even" number?
09-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm probably going to sell my Sigma 105 2.8 EX DG and get the Pentax D FA 100 2.8 WR when I get a K-5.
The wife dosen't want my K-7 so I guess I'll sell it cheap too. I hope the grip will fit the K-5 after paying almost 2oo for it.
And I hope they don't come out with a K-9 I'd hate having to clean up after it or store it in a litterbox.
09-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Engadget had comments today:

Pentax's K-r entry-level DSLR looks like a toy -- Engadget
09-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I'm probably going to sell my Sigma 105 2.8 EX DG and get the Pentax D FA 100 2.8 WR when I get a K-5.
The wife dosen't want my K-7 so I guess I'll sell it cheap too. I hope the grip will fit the K-5 after paying almost 2oo for it.
And I hope they don't come out with a K-9 I'd hate having to clean up after it or store it in a litterbox.
Actually as the owner of 2 K-9's and three cats I can assure the K-9's will only want to eat what's in the litter box. For some reason they think it's candy!!!

I remember the first time I saw my dog Stanley grazing in the cat box, he just gave me a look like "what's your problem and no I'm not sharing."
09-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #45

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
That makes sense. Canon does it opposite as well as Nikon, Fuji and Sony. That's why I was thinking the other way. It really doesn't matter to me as long as the camera is an upgrade. After I read more on the threads, I answered my own qusetion. lol I do have a question about the k-5. Does it have a video button or is it accessed from a menu? I like the idea of a button for turning it on and off. I didn't think I so on the pics I came across.