Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Well, there goes the price of that Voightlander 125mm I wanted..
It had already tripled to $1500 or so, since it went out of production almost immediately. I doubt the new announcement will affect that -- it cannot go out of production twice!

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The model numbers are basically there to sound cool and do not stand up to logical analysis.
I think the only company with logical numbers is Sony. But they are going to run out of them eventually!

09-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It had already tripled to $1500 or so, since it went out of production almost immediately. I doubt the new announcement will affect that -- it cannot go out of production twice!
Wow, kinda good news to me, although I probably never sell mine. It is not just the excellent IQ, but also the wonderful usability, I just love the smooth and slow focus ring, such a pleasure!

Last edited by gawan; 09-14-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: missing word
09-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by olenl Quote
Sigma Telephoto 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens 257109 -

where does it say discontinued?
you probably meant the other sigma 105 mm - non DC one which was selling for 300 dollars and apparently was sold out .. thta one was discontinued.

and btw I am also going to get this one for macro since pentax 100mm is ugly and 100mm WR is too expensive plus it is no better than tamron 90 which is worse than sigma 105 in CA department.
They just updated the listing.
09-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
I can't find any Pentax cameras in stores in order to demo them. Rumor has it that there's a store in Omaha that had a new K-7 available (not making this up - I called) but unless I travel to the east coast, I'm likely not to find Pentax on the shelf.

Pentax has to do a better job of getting their products back into stores. It's hard to increase your demand when no one knows your products exist.
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Over here in Gent (Belgium) there is a shop storing all the DA Limiteds, some D FA's, the DA-L*'s zooms, the K-7, K20d (yes) a black K-X, a RED K-X, two models of the flashes and some accessories. Also some Sigma's and Tamron's in K mount. We are spoiled...
I love in a small city in Northern Ontario, Canada, and there are three shops here with Pentax on the shelves. Every time there's a thread like this, there seems to be a discontinuity between the US and most other countries. I doubt that Pentax is the main brand anywhere, but it looks to me that Pentax US is weaker than other Pentax distributors. The US dealer network is very thin. Relying on internet sales is a poor business practice for camera gear. People need to feel the thing in their hands, take some photos with it.

09-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I love in a small city in Northern Ontario, Canada, and there are three shops here with Pentax on the shelves. Every time there's a thread like this, there seems to be a discontinuity between the US and most other countries. I doubt that Pentax is the main brand anywhere, but it looks to me that Pentax US is weaker than other Pentax distributors. The US dealer network is very thin. Relying on internet sales is a poor business practice for camera gear. People need to feel the thing in their hands, take some photos with it.
you've given me just another reason to emigrate to Canada...
09-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #51
Pentaxian

There are only two stores in my city which occasionally stock Pentax, and when they do, its only a body and kit lens. You can't buy Pentax lenses ... they will order them in for you, at a premium. So I had taken to buying from B&H but I've noticed in the last couple of months that their 2-3 pages of lenses has now reduced to 1 page + a couple of lenses on the next. Are they dropping their Pentax support? Its of sufficient concern to me, to consider switching to Canikon after all. At least I can buy an adapter to use the Pentax lenses (all one of them) that I want to keep using no matter what.
09-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Pentax has no presence in Ireland. None at all. Oh wait, Argos now stocks the K-x. That's kind of a joke, for those who don't know the retailers here.
09-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Pentax has no presence in Ireland. None at all. Oh wait, Argos now stocks the K-x. That's kind of a joke, for those who don't know the retailers here.
They have no presence in Florida and next to none in the southern U.S.