Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
He didn't write dual dials now did he? If you go back earlier in this thread, you will see that I mentioned that the only 2 things that would have improved this body would have been dual wheels and a pentaprism.
he wrote "More direct/physical controls", and I think the #1 among those on my K10D is the second wheel.

09-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
3) More direct/physical controls
4) Pentaprism
Aristophanes, you're a marketeer ... do you think a mid-level unit with only these features to distinguish it from the K-r would be possible at a price point that wouldn't interfere with sales of the K-5? This would leave the WR, top LCD, and external grip to the K-5 line.

With no top LCD, they could add a second dial. Hell, they could make a DSLR with the controls offered by the G11!

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/shared/picture.asp?f=28849
09-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
BTW, while single dial is intentional crippling, pentaprism certainly add cost and weight. In which proportion I don't know (at one point the K10D was sold new under 650$).
Pentaprisms aren't really that heavy though. Plus, the K200d actually has a larger focusing screen than the K20d, K10d, *istD, DS and DS2. I guess it was to offset the drop in light gathering of the pentamirror.
09-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
he wrote "More direct/physical controls", and I think the #1 among those on my K10D is the second wheel.
And "More direct/Physical controls" is open to interpretation like the Green Button etc. Plus, as I said earlier, there is a size difference in the K10d and K200d. The point is, Pentax doesn't clearly have the niche that the K200d occupied covered at the moment. Maybe they will allow the K-7 to fill that roll, but I doubt it because they don't want to undercut the K-5. I'm starting to think Pentax is going to a 2 model line up with initial overlap of the previous models. We will know in 7 or 8 days.

09-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #35
Pentaxian

The point is, Pentax doesn't clearly have the niche that the K200d occupied covered at the moment.
Agreed. But I think they found out that rather weak specs in a rather advanced body was the wrong niche. They're better off with the rather opposite direction they took with the K-x
09-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Agreed. But I think they found out that rather weak specs in a rather advanced body was the wrong niche. They're better off with the rather opposite direction they took with the K-x
Interesting insight! As far as room "in between" is concerned, I suppose it really is a matter of whether Hoya wants to present alternatives or make the upgrade a clear step up. Frankly, I'm not sure that as many people upgrade across different product lines as they modernize within the same product line.
09-14-2010, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Interesting insight! As far as room "in between" is concerned, I suppose it really is a matter of whether Hoya wants to present alternatives or make the upgrade a clear step up. Frankly, I'm not sure that as many people upgrade across different product lines as they modernize within the same product line.
If you're right about the latter, they may be spot-on with the K-r for potential upgraders from the K100D, I know of at least one K100D user (my daughter ) who considered the K-x - but the lack of focus confirmation was a deal breaker. And I wonder how many of the K200D owners could actually use its WR? After all, affordable WR lenses arrived only later. Maybe they'll think of the K-r as a modern version of their current camera after all.

People tend to forget that the K-m arrived later: The K200D was also only one of two cameras like the K-r will soon be one of two (except that I expect them to continue pushing the K-x for quite a while, in fact you can still get really cheap new K-m kits here). In fact, it's only since this year that Pentax really has 3 disctinct DSLR product lines. Many don't want to count the 645D, since it's astronomically more expensive than the K-7, but who knows how fast the price may drop to a level where those who currently cry for FF cameras (and actually can afford them) suddenly get interested.
09-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #38
Site Supporter

The other thing is that given the size of the K-7 and K-5, the K200d no longer has a smaller size advantage anymore. Also, since the K-m, K-x and K-r seems to be target at "new" users, Pentax may have been concerned about what WR meant and didn't want to see a bunch of those bodies in the surf and off the high dive at the pool.

09-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #39
Pentaxian

A WR body not necessary means the photographer wants to take pictures in the rain...
For those in area with high humidity, dusty area, WR body is a useful feature.

The K200 is unique for its WR, top lcd, and uses AA batteries. It gave a solid feel... I want a replacement with these features~ Well, now I just hope K-5 will have the batteries feature of the K-r (interchangable AA / dedicated battery), if that is the only WR body available for Pentax...

now with the 3 cheap WR lenses (18-55, 50-200, 18-135), k300d will find its spot in the line up.... maybe a "K-r WR version" (+$100 to $150 for WR version of K-r) will do the trick?

K-x, K-7, and K-r ... I still don't find a camera that I want to replace my k200

There are very few k200 user here or the k200 is so good that we seldom hear k200 owner complaints in the forum?
09-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #40
Site Supporter

I wasn't referring to the usefulness of WR but the perception of "new" users. I live in Florida so I don't need lectured on humidity unless you want to buy some. I person that buys a lime green dSLR might be the kind of guy the likes to para-sail at the beach.
09-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #41
Veteran Member

The other thing is that given the size of the K-7 and K-5, the K200d no longer has a smaller size advantage anymore. Also, since the K-m, K-x and K-r seems to be target at "new" users, Pentax may have been concerned about what WR meant and didn't want to see a bunch of those bodies in the surf and off the high dive at the pool.
Good point! They sell a truly waterproof point and shoot and people might well be aware of the connection given the brand.

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The K200 is unique for its WR, top lcd, and uses AA batteries. It gave a solid feel... I want a replacement with these features~ Well, now I just hope K-5 will have the batteries feature of the K-r (interchangable AA / dedicated battery), if that is the only WR body available for Pentax...
But again, I don't see how such a camera fits in the marketing plan Hoya seems to be following. They seem to be targeting niche markets (cheap and cheerful for volume, D645 for "pro") .. the camera you describe is one that's way out in the middle of the pack served well by other manufacturers. If the WR feature starts gaining market traction, the competition will simply add it to similar cameras and through in 100x the marketing budget that Hoya can field.