Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dare I say.... a FF next?

Well it seems that Pentax has a good relationship with Sony at the moment so maybe, now that we have the K5, 645D and Kr out of the way, we could see a Pentax full frame dslr using the Sony A900/859 sensor?

Announced this year, released 2011?
(my fingers are crossed)

09-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Until Pentax says it's coming, don't hold your breath!

Jason
09-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Well it seems that Pentax has a good relationship with Sony at the moment so maybe, now that we have the K5, 645D and Kr out of the way, we could see a Pentax full frame dslr using the Sony A900/859 sensor?
Announced this year, released 2011?
(my fingers are crossed)
You never know. A lot of people here came up with ideas that point to FF soon before we started getting rumors with some truth in them.

Let's say the K-5 (APS-C) is released and the MSRP is $1699 as rumors say (same MSRP as the 7D... seems a bit questionable).

It's been said lately that Pentax has plans for various things and they act on them once components hit a certain cost and technical level. If they do go FF, and the K-5 goes for $1699 as above, let's say it will cost $2499 as Canon's entry FF. Does that sound pretty good? I think both the rumored price of the K-5 and this are over the top considering their position in the market and their current lens lineup. The cameras would have to be pretty special to pull FF or 7D owners away from their current homes and I don't know how much of a market Pentax has with their existing customers.

I'm wondering if Pentax is thinking "If Sony can't make a success out of their $1999.99 A850, how would we manage with a FF camera?"
09-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

Pentax has a reputation to make cheaper camera from the same sensor base, like the 645 vs S2, the Kx vs D90. So at the price $1699, K5 could be a FF camera with FF sensor that can be found in cameras which is 30% to 40% more expensive. Hopefully, the sensor will be sister to D700/D3s or may be 5D (the same number 5 ).

The only one thing I concern is lenses to go with that FF, but all of the FA ltds are still there, and Pentax has only to show 1 or 2 "2.8" zoom, may be 24-75 and 70-200 or 80-200??????

09-11-2010, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ain't gonna happen. This week's demise of the Voigtlander SL II series lenses in KA mount shows what direction the wind is blowing. Word is that Zeiss is also phasing out the ZK lenses. The owners and management at Cosina are known for being extremely savvy. If they are no longer interested in making a FF premium lens for Pentax K, they must be convinced that there is and will be no market for their product in Pentaxland.

Steve
09-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #6

I believe FF is coming. That's why I keep buying FF lenses
09-11-2010, 04:28 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by XATN3q Quote
may be 5D (the same number 5 ).
Like Canon's gonna give someone else their sensor...

09-11-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Did I miss an announcement by Cosina that they would not be making KA mount Voigtlander SL lenses any longer?

Do you have a link? TIA

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ain't gonna happen. This week's demise of the Voigtlander SL II series lenses in KA mount shows what direction the wind is blowing. Word is that Zeiss is also phasing out the ZK lenses. The owners and management at Cosina are known for being extremely savvy. If they are no longer interested in making a FF premium lens for Pentax K, they must be convinced that there is and will be no market for their product in Pentaxland.

Steve
09-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I think if Pentax would go to FF, it is not enough to just announce a new FF body. They would also have to:
  1. Create a whole set of new FF lenses, most likely with a new SDM II, and also include T/S lenses and TC's
  2. Establish a professional services program
  3. Bring out a professional flash system (like Nikon CLS)
  4. Bring out all the other usual accessories, that the other vendors have
In my thoughts FF means going for a whole system, a professional one, that is.

Nothing points to that direction, all indications point to a less clearly defined and colourful consumer system, which goes after what's hot and demanded, not after what's a consistent professional system.

Like Falk has said, Pentax should at least make stand about the FF, and IMO, also about the system they are intending to create in, say, next three years. We really need some assurance towards the future!

OR, do you think Pentax just might bring out an FF body just for enthusiasts?

Last edited by gawan; 09-11-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added the last sentense
09-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote
Did I miss an announcement by Cosina that they would not be making KA mount Voigtlander SL lenses any longer?
Discontinued items
09-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote

Do you have a link? TIA
Discontinued items

Voigtlander SL II Lenses

So, if you were saving up to buy a Nokton, you better do it now. Residual stock is fast disappearing.

Steve
09-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
wll
Veteran Member

With all the hoopla about FF, I just don't see it.

APS-C sensors are where FF was just a few years ago, technology is improving by leaps and bounds. In a couple of years the APS-C will be where the FF is today ..... there comes a point that it doesn't matter unless you spend every moment pixel peeping at 400% looking for something. When was the last time you made a print that was larger than 17 x something (that is a large image to my way of thinking).

For me, I'm an APS-C guy, with everything I have done I have not gone wanting in this regard.

I for one am very happy with the performance of my K-20D's and my K-x .... as a matter of fact my DS was a great little camera in its own right, shot lots of 1600 ISO images that came out great.

Just had to rant !

wll
09-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
09-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I'd pay attention to THIS post. Cosina and Zeiss and always add back K-mount later, if they need. Right now they don't see a need.
09-11-2010, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
[*]Create a whole set of new FF lenses, most likely with a new SDM II, and also include T/S lenses and TC's
In regards to a FF lens line-up, Pentax already has:

DA* 55mm f/1.4
DA* 60-250mm f/4
DA* 200mm f/2.8
DA* 300mm f/4
DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FA 31mm f/1.8
FA 43mm f/1.9
FA 77mm f/1.8
FA 50mm f/1.4
FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro

that are all FF compatible. There are reports that the new DA-L 35mm f/2.4 is based on the old FA 35mm f/2 design - potentially being FF compatible as well.

Even some of the current DA Limited's (40mm and 70mm in particular) have decent performance on film bodies, so I'd even include those two on the list.

Pentax is honestly one "normal" zoom (24-70mm f/2.8) away from having a solid FF ready line-up.

QuoteQuote:
Establish a professional services program
I think we'll see the start of that with the distribution of the 645D.

QuoteQuote:
In my thoughts FF means going for a whole system, a professional one, that is.
A FF Pentax doesn't have to be "professional" by any means. An "enthusiast" FF from Pentax could do quiet well if there is a large enough consumer demand, judging by some of the comments on these very boards.

QuoteQuote:
OR, do you think Pentax just might bring out an FF body just for enthusiasts?
I don't see why Pentax ought to compete on a professional level with Canon or Nikon. They have neither the financial resources nor the user-base (who remains notoriously stingy with $$$) to provide full-fledged professional services. Sony tried to compete with the A900 and it hasn't worked out too well.