Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote

The Camera Store lists the D700 at just under $2400. Add in the cost of swapping all that glass, and longer glass for FF... yikes! I'm hoping for stellar K-5 performance; like you said, on paper it looks pretty good!
Check the used prices... D700-s can be found from anywhere from 1800 to 2000$ easily... 1900$CAD for a used D700 VS 1800$CAD+TX for the K5... hmmmmmm... Tough one isn't it???? In my book a used Lexus is still a lot more car than a brand new Kia with a sh#t load of gimmics.... But that's just me....

B.t.w.... D300s just dropped to 1380$CAN in my local store and 7D is still 1650$CAN... If I was just buying into dSLR... not sure that K5 would seduce me... Especially considering current Pentax glass prices...

09-11-2010, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty new to DSLRs, I do love my K-7 and K-x. The only flaw is the rather feeble AF. I seriously hope this will be better on the coming models :-)! Don't really find focusing built-into the camera better, or worse, than a focusing motor inside the lens. But better anti-shake is welcome, especially at long focal lengths :-)!
09-11-2010, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Check the used prices... D700-s can be found from anywhere from 1800 to 2000$ easily... 1900$CAD for a used D700 VS 1800$CAD+TX for the K5... hmmmmmm... Tough one isn't it???? In my book a used Lexus is still a lot more car than a brand new Kia with a sh#t load of gimmics.... But that's just me....
While I understand your point and agree that a used Lexus is generally nicer than a Kia with a sh#t load of gimmicks, I'm not sure it's fair to call the K5 a "Kia with a sh#t load of gimmicks", especially before it's even released and reviewed.
09-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
short answer to OP: no

was it a sarcasm?

09-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #35
Site Supporter

B.t.w.... D300s just dropped to 1380$CAN in my local store and 7D is still 1650$CAN... If I was just buying into dSLR... not sure that K5 would seduce me... Especially considering current Pentax glass prices...
The worry Pentax and others must feel is that the D700 is replaced by a higher resolution model...but stays in production at a lower price point, say, US$1699.

This is the FF pinch on APS-C high-end margins. Nikon is more than happy to have the D300s and D700 in the same price category as they can sell 2 bodies for different applications (telecentric DX and night owl FX), extending lens sales. Pentax does not have that option and are not in a position for Nikon to put them there.

The D700 is probably not due for an overhaul until next year, earlyish.

No, the K-5 will not beat the D700. Silly idea. We may see a Pentax forced into a lower-end APS-C camera niche and MF plus a mirrorless (of which we will probably see a concept at Photokina).
09-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Comparing the K-5 to the D-300 would be more reasonable since it is also aps-c.
09-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
While I understand your point and agree that a used Lexus is generally nicer than a Kia with a sh#t load of gimmicks, I'm not sure it's fair to call the K5 a "Kia with a sh#t load of gimmicks", especially before it's even released and reviewed.
I don't get the comparison of used prices to new prices either.
09-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Wow! You say K-5 is a sh#t load of gimmicks when you have not even seen the official picture of it yet .

09-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't get the comparison of used prices to new prices either.
What's so complicated? I'm sure that K5 will be a damn nice camera, but if the rumored price will end up being true, for the same amount I'd rather get a used D700... No i don't own any Pentax glass anymore.... so it doesn't matter...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
Wow! You say K-5 is a sh#t load of gimmicks when you have not even seen the official picture of it yet .
So you're agree with the fact that i'm comparing Pentax with Kia? Alright, for the same amount i'd rather get a used Lexus than a brand new Kia... is that better?
09-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #40
Veteran Member

What's so complicated? I'm sure that K5 will be a damn nice camera, but if the rumored price will end up being true, for the same amount I'd rather get a used D700... No i don't own any Pentax glass anymore.... so it doesn't matter...

So you're agree with the fact that i'm comparing Pentax with Kia? Alright, for the same amount i'd rather get a used Lexus than a brand new Kia... is that better?
You can call Pentax is whatever you like , but saying I agree with you is really a good joke .

Go ahead and buy used Canikon and be proud of being a Canikon as much as you like . How's that sound?
09-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Hey! Rupert.....miss those squirrel shots , but lately you've been posting some stunning portraits...I mean seriously stunning ones.

This k-5 could potentially be the first no excuse (universally, not just based on individual preferences) APS-C camera.

Can I say something here?

I find Pentax to have features best suited to Squirrel shooting......you just stick a Bigma on one of those Pentax cameras, give me a fresh apple slice and we will be Happy Campers!
Best Regards!
09-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have found the k-7 autofocus very good. When you are in the zone it pegs verrrrry fast. And i use screw lenses. High ISO is very bad. If k-5 is something like the k-x. I think it will be a winner. But I have seen many pics from the body in question and think it is super. I think it will be hard to beat the d700. Many people seem to think price difference is the main point. But between great shots and average shots. Most I know will go with great shots and pay the extra dollar.
My thinking Pentax is about 5 years behind.
09-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #43
Site Supporter

. . .
Didn't say it was complicated, said it was USED. How is the warranty on that? KEH has a LN- D700 for $2289 with a 60 day warranty.
09-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
To me the D700 is about perfect. One of the reasons I skipped the K-7 is it's small size; if the K-5 is a similar body to the K-7 I may just have to suck it up and get used to a kid-sized camera.
Each to their own, but there seems to be a big market for smaller cameras too. As far as I can tell, all DSLR's are large compared to film SLR's. Doesn't make a camera 'kid sized'.

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I have found the k-7 autofocus very good. High ISO is very bad.
...My thinking Pentax is about 5 years behind.
Shoot RAW and it's pretty comparable with 7D and D300S. I don't see how that's 'very bad'. 5 years behind? Seems to be a number pulled out of nowhere.
In my opinion, the K-7 is the best street DSLR yet made, and in many ways groundbreaking.

Certainly time for an improved sensor and hopefully some AF improvement, but it's still a mighty capable camera.
09-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I think that the K5 vs D700 is a valid comparison, just like the 7D vs D700 would been at the 7D's initial price point. They are in the same order of magnitude price wise. A silly comparison would be the 645D vs the K5, there not even the same ball park with regards to price. In many ways the D700 is a benmark in DLSR's for some photographers. I will probably by a new camera soon and if the price of the K5 is close to the D700, say within $500 then I will switch to Nikon. Do I want to? No, but brand loyalty does not pay off. Ergonomicaly I like the K7 design so I really want the K5 to deliver. I am cautiously optimistic but don't want to get my hopes up. Time will tell.