Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #61
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Problem is that making Pentax users happy can be a fool's errand.
While that might be true, exactly what is wrong with wanting Pentax to make a well rounded Semi Pro or advanced amateur body?

If you want high ISO, you have to resort to an entry level camera. If you want tethered shooting, you have to resort to an older body, if you want good flash performance, you have to resort to an entirely different system, if you want good AF tracking again, you need to resort to another system.

With Pentax lately, it's always "next year". Wait till next year for Pentax to catch up. They need to at least try to stay even. I think that's what people want.

Pentax isn't delivering - maybe, the K5 will change that. It would be nice for once to know that your camera company of choice at least matches up with the other guys.

This "always the brides maid never the bride" stuff has to stop. Pentax needs to either offer an upgrade path for those who want to take their photography further, or stop stringing us along. They are teetering right on the edge right now. If they don't deliver with the K5 it could get ugly real fast. Think about it, if Sigma stops making K mount lens. you can kiss Pentax good by as for anything other than the social networking and point and shoot crowd. Sigma is the only company keeping the K20, K7 and now K 5 shooters from switching systems. And much as I love my Sigma lens, they simply do not match up to Pentax glass.

09-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
This "always the brides maid never the bride" stuff has to stop. Pentax needs to either offer an upgrade path for those who want to take their photography further, or stop stringing us along. They are teetering right on the edge right now. If they don't deliver with the K5 it could get ugly real fast. Think about it, if Sigma stops making K mount lens. you can kiss Pentax good by as for anything other than the social networking and point and shoot crowd. Sigma is the only company keeping the K20, K7 and now K 5 shooters from switching systems. And much as I love my Sigma lens, they simply do not match up to Pentax glass.
Really? While I understand your frustration, I think the statement that Sigma is the only company keeping K20D/K7 and future K5 shooters from leavings is a bit silly.
09-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #63
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I don't understand the argument that Sigma is keeping Pentax afloat. Are you saying that Sigma makes a lens, or lenses, that Pentax does not make, and without which there would be no way to use Pentax cameras?

Leaving that aside, my favorite gripe comes from the forum members who obsess over whether the camera will be categorized as "professional" or "advanced amateur."
09-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I own 1 Sigma lens .

09-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #65
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I own 1 Sigma lens .
At present, I have the 105mm EX DG macro lens. Had the D FA WR been out, I may have gone with it, but the lack of the aperture ring concerns me some. Without spending $1500, the Sigma is hard to beat. I replaced a dead Viv I with it. While the Series 1 had a nice focus feel and damping in MF, the Sigma 105 is on par with it optically.
09-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Problem is that making Pentax users happy can be a fool's errand.

They could release a 999 AF point 20 fps camera with every feature imaginable and sell it for a 100 bucks, and some would bitch that it is now too cheap and they won't get taken seriously if they use one.

But to be more serious if K-5 will be as the rumored specs say, and AF willbe significantly improved over k7, only one thnig left for it to be perfect - vary angle screen.

I do not know about you all others, but I want vary angle screen.. And i'm interested when pentax is going to implement it.

Otherwise some other manufacturers will get my attention.. I badly need vary angle screen. I'd go to sony, or canon, but, I also need pentax ergonomics.
09-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #67
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Really? While I understand your frustration, I think the statement that Sigma is the only company keeping K20D/K7 and future K5 shooters from leavings is a bit silly.
QuoteQuote:
Are you saying that Sigma makes a lens, or lenses, that Pentax does not make, and without which there would be no way to use Pentax cameras?
How many third party lens manufacturer's are making K mount lens? How many have said they will no longer support the K mount?

If Sigma quits, where does one get a 500mm lens? 800? How about a 100-400? 300 2.8? Any lens with a dedicated TC? Where can you RIGHT NOW buy a 180 macro for a Pentax camera? ( No where.)

So yes, if you want to shoot those focal lengths, your Pentax Camera is worthless if Sigma stops making them. Yeah, I understand the used market but there will be a finite number of lens in the market, and the prices will be crazy because of it, and any further technology advances will be lost on Pentax Camera owners.

In addition, let's say no one makes 3rd party lens for Pentax. Someone goes into the camera shop to buy a camera and ask about Pentax. What do you think they are going to hear? If Sigma quits making K mount lens, it will kill the advanced amateur Pentax market. It will be one of the biggest Canon/Nikon selling points.

So silly as it sounds, it's probably closer to the truth than any of us want to admit.
09-05-2011, 05:32 AM   #68

Reading this old subject line it id fairly evident that, no, K-5 didn't dethrone the D700, but instead lured over lots of people usung the smaller sized Nikons and Canons. SO the upgraders were lured into the Pentax netting, so to speak. Personally I love the size of the K-5, and it has really proved its abilities in various surroundings, where the K-7 would have felt missing a lot. For instances photographing raptors in fairly bad lightning conditions, with not the fastest lenses, like th Sigma 120-400, or Sigma's 150-500 (can't afford the faster tele primes!).

And for me it isn't the higher number of pixels, it is the higher ISO that made the difference so marked that my almost newly bought K-7 had to be replaced with the K-5. So the K-7 is collecting dust most of the time, and the K-x is now backup only!

09-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #69

Good post !

K-5 has been a great success for Pentax.
09-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is this? Early one year thread revival?
09-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #71
Pentaxian

K-5 has not been an astounding success. It did fine for a while, but now almost a thing of the past.
09-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
K-5 has not been an astounding success.
Nobody ever said that. But the K-5 is still a great success for Pentax.

It did fine for a while, but now almost a thing of the past.
Like any electronics after a few months. But the K-5 is still the king of hill on the DXOmark and actually no other camera in this category (APS-C) is really much better. The 7D has better AF but worse sensor, the D7000 is just on par. The newly announced A77 is not yet released and is still an unknown quantity at this time.
09-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I only know that the K5 is 'THAT' camera that I can reliably use and not look up to next years model
09-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Nobody ever said that. But the K-5 is still a great success for Pentax.

Like any electronics after a few months. But the K-5 is still the king of hill on the DXOmark and actually no other camera in this category (APS-C) is really much better. The 7D has better AF but worse sensor, the D7000 is just on par. The newly announced A77 is not yet released and is still an unknown quantity at this time.

Well, I am not so entirely sure.

We can go back and forth on something like this, but it is more or less about how you and I and everybody else define words like "astounding" or "great." Also, the context of it is also important. Are we talking about success in terms of sales? Technical advancement? Ergonomics?

Judging from some of the comments about K-5 that I read around here, I can swear that it is the God's gift to mankind, and that anybody who disagree even remotely is a complete moron and a troll. They would like to tell you, without giving reference, things likw that K-5 stole potential customers away from other big brands, and that it is a D700 "killer" and so forth. It sounds like this was an astounding success from their point of view.

As I said before, from the technical standpoint, K-5 I think is a "great" camera. People rave about low ISO and DR and all that. In that regards it is far better than K-7. But, was it a game changer? I am not so sure. People like me who utilizes a tripod, and for the type of photography that I do, K-5 did not offered a significant advantage over K-7. Topping out on DXO is great, but that did not translate to topping out on the sales chart. If you want to discuss market success, it is completely pointless. Didn't this thing score almost as high as 645D?? I don't think I need to any of you that K-5 is no 645D.

Then, we cannot entirely ignore the QC issues that K-5 had, far more than K-7 ever did, and think about the financial implications of replacements and repairs that were incurred because of its "defects." I hate to think about what this did to the overall image of Pentax. Cannot be all that positive, even if it was "corrected" later. There is no way, for example, that I would buy this product used on ebay. Just not trustworthy.

So, great success? I am not so sure.
09-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Didn't this thing score almost as high as 645D?? I don't think I need to any of you that K-5 is no 645D.
Biggest problem of DXOmark is that resolution is not used for the final score. But at least the K-5 beats all other APS-C cameras to date. Nikonians would be bragging endlessly if it was a D7000.

So, great success? I am not so sure.
It depends how you measure success. For market share I have no hard facts. But if I look at Flickr data the K-5 is already second. And it's surrounded by arguably the other two best Pentax hits: the K10D and the K-x. And on the graph it's climbing sharply.

Then there are the reviews. Almost all very favorable. You can compare this with the K-7...

Yes there are some issues but which camera doesn't. I remember the K10D had the cracked bottom, misaligned VF, poor AF, phantom pixels, etc. It seemed that you couldn't get a good copy. I bought one and to this date after 40,000 clicks it's the most problem-free Pentax camera I ever had. All these issues didn't prevent the K10D to be probably the biggest Pentax DSLR hit.