Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Questioning the validity of the "leaked" K5 specs...

Everything looks good and promising except the price and.... 18 AF points...

That last one really caught my attention as I can't quite imagine a symmetrical pattern of 18 points with one point in the middle... It's either non-symmetrical and there will be more points on top of the VF than in the bottom or the whole "LEAK" thing is fishy to say the least...

09-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure the even number is that fishy- there could just be a 4x4 grid of focusing points in the center, assisted by two additional focusing points to between and beside the 2nd and 3rd rows. This would end up simply expanding on the current AF point layout.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm not sure the even number is that fishy- there could just be a 4x4 grid of focusing points in the center, assisted by two additional focusing points to between and beside the 2nd and 3rd rows. This would end up simply expanding on the current AF point layout.
Adam is there any other camera on the market with an even number of AF points?
09-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
18 is possible if there are 2 central sensors: 1 at the regular f/5.6 sensitivity, and another at f/2.8 for extra precision with fast lenses.

Or the 18 could just be a flag to track leaks...

09-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
18 is possible if there are 2 central sensors: 1 at the regular f/5.6 sensitivity, and another at f/2.8 for extra precision with fast lenses.

I posted the original thread, as stated I'm just going off the email I was sent by a friend in the biz that I personally can't guarantee. Only reason I posted is that some of it sounds credible, I'm suspicious though until I see the official specs.
09-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's something Sony would do... not Pentax or CaNikon...

Plausible... very...
09-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
4x4 in the middle of the frame? Not having a point in the middle sounds like a bad idea...

I just hope they continue having points in the areas of interest ("rule of 3rds"), which I use a lot in selectable focus mode. Why does it seem they went with a "machine gun" camera. I'd say the 18 points and $1699 price are a red flag so far.
09-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Forum Member

Then, "EXEMOR" should be too...
Sum of rumors written by the friend.

More credible is the leaked image of the camera, removed by lenstip. But it could also be a (very refined) fake...
Source was declared to be Pentax, so good at keeping the secret and then sending an image of the camera to lenstip...

Yes, great fishing times

09-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alessandro63 Quote
Source was declared to be Pentax, so good at keeping the secret and then sending an image of the camera to lenstip...
Well the picture doesn't reveal anything anyway. Only that it will be, except for superficial details, the same body as K-7. Big news...

As for the leaked specs. 18 AF points sounds fishy, unless the central point is doubled for whatever reason. Or no central point (which I highly doubt).
09-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Well the picture doesn't reveal anything anyway. Only that it will be, except for superficial details, the same body as K-7. Big news...

As for the leaked specs. 18 AF points sounds fishy, unless the central point is doubled for whatever reason. Or no central point (which I highly doubt).
Or it's a typo, it's a trick or the person who sent me the email made it uo......
09-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Or it's a typo,
Oh yes it would be great if he meant 81 points :-)
09-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Oh yes it would be great if he meant 81 points :-)
Haha; that 81 point is a really clever idea. Reminds when the first time Pentax introduced K20D with 14MP.
But seriously, who wants to deal with that many points? I guess 31 is a much better idea and will be perfect.
09-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Or it's a typo, it's a trick or the person who sent me the email made it uo......
As EXEMOR, in fact. Hand copied info.
09-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Forum Member

Or no central point (which I highly doubt).
You do? That's weird... Imagine how many happy Pentaxians