Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't we just all agree that having more than 1 focus point is useful to some people, and useless to others? Just as ISO25.600 and 7fps will not be used frequently by some, but will be used often by others.

Pentax (like any other manufacturer) tries to cater to as many kinds of customers at once, so naturally their cameras come with features that won't appeal to you. Off of the whole spec sheet every individual photographer probably needs just 10 items, and can do without the 200 other functions and buttons. But the next person has different needs, and the next person, and the next...

09-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Have you not seen the posts in this thread that explain the utility of manually selectable AF points?

What is wrong about avoiding focus errors (the closer you are, the bigger the problem) introduced by recomposing and being able to focus while following a moving subject that is off-centre?
Dude, you don't understand. The way the Pentax builds a camera is the way the Photo Gods have decreed it. Features available from companies that sell oodles more cameras than Pentax? Useless fluff for unwashed ignorami (Ignore the fact that the majority of people that make there living taking pictures use those brands, trust me, these features are useless). Any point other than the center point is heresy, and then only if you're a drooling moron. Because everyone knows that autofocus is a crutch for the simpleton.

I have it on good authority that Pentax will soon introduce a true photographer's camera. 11 focusing points? How about it constantly randomly defocuses the lens, forcing you, er...allowing you the joy of constantly touching it up. And even though it's digital, it has a film wind lever, so you're not tempted to shoot more than a couple of frames per second like some crazed hooligan. And it won't take a picture until you've spot metered 23 separate parts of the scene... with an external spotmeter. Because matrix metering is for bitches. The ISO tops out at 160, because only a crazy person ever needs more than that, despite the fact that it doesn't have a hotshoe because flash is - you got it, a crutch for young whippersnappers. The only tethering option is a string that you can tie between the camera and yourself. If any lens other than a Limited is mounted, it ejects the lens, electrocutes you, and sends a request to Pentax for someone to come and retrieve it for sale to someone more worthy. It is, in fact, the perfect camera.
09-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #138
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krandle Quote
Hope you're able to successfully remove that irritant from your tukus!
Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks krandle!
09-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #139

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Weather sealing and inbody SR are worth the extra to me over the D7000
Fosho! Spending an additional $500 on inbody SR = saving alot of dollars that would have otherwise been spent on Nikkor VR lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
d7000 is RUMORED to be weather proof like the d300s.
Recap | Nikon Rumors

although the rumored spec of the d7000 is very impressive, i find it hard to believe nikon can sell it at $1199. that would seriously kill the d300s sales, unless of course the d400 is coming.
I agree. What that website says its offering up just doesn't seem doable for $1199.

But that being said, I think $869 is a killer deal for a K7. Perhaps with more and more pros/semi pros/serious amateurs going towards full frame the prices for crop sensors are on the decline.

09-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #140
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
Auto Assist Lamp - On/Off/Auto
DFS - On / Off / Auto
SR - On/Off/Auto
09-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
...It is, in fact, the perfect camera.
Thanks, I think I get it now. But I've heard that they won't release the interim model you described until they've got the final feature sorted. When you turn on the camera, you are given a random page and paragraph number from Ansel Adams' "The Negative" and unless you recite the first sentence correctly, it won't start up. That'll sort the men from the boys!
09-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
No, simply because a computer has no particular idea of what a "subject" is, neither can it "measure speed and trajectory", which is impossible without stereo vision.
Even the K-7 tracks a subject coming towards you. Of course you can roughly measure how the focus distances change and predict accordingly. Following lateral movement also isn't a problem if you've got sufficiently many AF areas. All this works in practice. Not for every scene and under all circumstances but better than you make it appear. Perhaps its been a while since you last looked at the state of the art of predictive AF?

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Computer-vision is considered the computer science problem of the century, and hard enough even when you have clusters of computers available, having to solve it with limited processors (like the ones you embed in cameras) doesn't make it any easier.
Every cheapo P&S has face detection nowadays.

Yes, sophisticated computer vision is still a research problem but limited tasks like AF tracking and face detection can be done even with embedded hardware.

We shouldn't drag this debate on as it is off-topic for this thread. I think it is fair to say that there is quite some room for improvement for Pentax AF, despite the limitations an improved system may still have (and despite the fact that some prefer to manually focus using a split-prism and then recompose).
09-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Adam, I have to say I'm disappointed. With all the rumors coming and going in the forum, you've several times linked to the specs on the front page suggesting they're the real deal. And considering you're the admin here, I believed you have some real connections and inside information. And now this. Are you saying that you just pick random rumors like the rest of us and present them as the forum gospel?
This seems REALLY unfair. You have no basis for thinking that Adam—or anybody else in this forum—is able to release official info. Everything I've read in this forum and elsewhere has been clearly labeled a rumor.

Will

09-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
This seems REALLY unfair. You have no basis for thinking that Adam—or anybody else in this forum—is able to release official info. Everything I've read in this forum and elsewhere has been clearly labeled a rumor.

Will
Right, but as someone administering the site I wouldn't expect them to post rumors, possibly jeopardize someone under NDA; those sorts of things. Leave it to the users to do that and only report concrete findings / focus on bettering the site and community.
09-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, my type of photography supports my career and not just my hobbies.

How many AF points did this take?
So how does that make it the most important again?
09-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Right, but as someone administering the site I wouldn't expect them to post rumors, possibly jeopardize someone under NDA;
Why not? This is not an official forum. So why can't the admin post anything under the same guidelines as any users? And if someone under NDA decide to open their mouth, they surely would expect them to be posted.

QuoteQuote:
Leave it to the users to do that and only report concrete findings / focus on bettering the site and community.
Come on! If that's the case, one should not post anything until the official press release is out! 'Cos nothing could be "concrete" until then!

After all, this is a rumors forum! For those who want "concrete" info only, skip this forum and stick with the "Official Pentax News" forum.
09-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shadmanaj Quote
Rep +1. Apart from sports and fast-action photographers and low-light people, IMO I don't see anybody needing all that. Maybe we'll have cameras that will tell us what to shoot, focus on it and yell STFU when we try to override.
This was probably mentioned elsewhere, but a major reason is focus accuracy. With 11 AF-points, you either get holes between AF points (auto-selection will drop if the subject is between them), or with pentax, you lose precision. The AF points on Pentax are large, so there are not really holes between them.

Instead, if you want to focus say, exactly on someone's eye with very thin DoF, the AF point will actually grab anything in the large area, say the cheek, nose, whatever.

Most sports/fast-action/low-light people actually use center focus most of the time, as it is the fastest, most accurate, and most sensitive.
09-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Right, but as someone administering the site I wouldn't expect them to post rumors, possibly jeopardize someone under NDA; those sorts of things. Leave it to the users to do that and only report concrete findings / focus on bettering the site and community.
Sorry, I simply cannot imagine on what moral or legal basis you are imposing this responsibility on Adam. Adam isn't under NDA. If some fool wants to break his own NDA by leaking stuff to Adam, that's his business, not Adam's. But that's not usually how these leaks happen.

If it's clearly flagged as RUMOR—and I think everything mentioned here has been—then you should regard it as rumor. Doesn't mean it's false and in fact a lot of these rumors do eventually pan out as true. It just means that it doesn't mean it's true, either, and that we won't know until we actually know.

If you said you felt disappointed, I could understand. But you seem to feel misled. You were not. You were credulous. Not Adam's fault.

Will
09-13-2010, 12:30 AM   #149
Veteran Member

Iso 80 gives the same advantage as lowering flash sync speed to 1/250. Around half a stop
09-13-2010, 02:03 AM   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Everything I've read in this forum and elsewhere has been clearly labeled a rumor.
How is this announcing a rumour?
It has been been rumored that while September 9th would be the date for the official Pentax K-r announcement, we wouldn't hear anything about the K-5 until the 22nd- nearly two weeks later!

So far, here is all the credible information that we have for the K-5 specifications:

<Speculation about K-5 specs follows, indicating, among other things, 18 AF points.>
It ends with "Discuss the K-5 specifications on our forum." The follow up news item ends with "Discuss this rumor on our forum" which is a lot better, AFAIC.

The above text was published on the front page as a news item, not in a rumours forum.

I find the use of "credible information" misleading.

Last edited by Class A; 09-13-2010 at 02:08 AM.