Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #91
Veteran Member

since i work with the eos 7 sometimes....i like this af system a little more than the nikon 51

09-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
...and to those who like to bitch and moan, I think *some* of us are trying to make the point that just because someone does not use other than center point, or does not need high ISO etc, does not mean it is a ridiculous feature and useless. Cameras are made to sell to a group of people with varying needs, y'know.
True enough. I'm not attached to the idea of more AF points, though I could probably make use of them on occasion, I use center-focus most of the time, but there's curvature of field and other factors that'll make me want to use other points.

For me, if I have to use automation at all, I'd prefer it to be as swift, sure, and precise as possible, but as the industry standards get faster and faster, we're talking about smaller actual intervals of time we're comparing.

A really precise screen useful for manual-focusing with fast lenses would do as well, even if the AF only had like *three* points. (It's still mostly a crutch to me, the AF, anyway) Though I think my real high-tech dream would be an eye-or-thought-controlled floating AF point. (I always wondered why that tech seemed to dead-end and never get picked up again, the early versions impressed me) I don't think in terms of points, I think, I want the focus point *there,* and AF is just an indirect way to make that happen.

Anyway, my K20d could be better: (if I ever get focusing-screen happiness then it'd be centerpoint-or-manual focus nearly all the time, anyway) but people do have different needs. This AF system with the + would be great, actually. There's points and then there's having another AF sensor to read them for any errors.

People 'compare' a lot when it comes to things like this, but I think the real question is, 'How many jobs can this system do?'

My jobs aren't heavily-demanding: where it gets tricky is old training (good) and aging eyes (Not always so good) It's not so much speed as responsiveness, sometimes. One thing machines may never do is really read human body language and make all the subconscious corrections that you would in MF when interacting with people: the best it can do is shrink the time it takes to catch up. Advantage, sometimes, precision, if you can tell it what to aim for fast enough.

For extreme sports and birding and all, though, there's someplace where lots of points probably would help. I imagine a smart AF system could pick out the bird in the sky from anywhere in frame.

Rambling.
09-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shock!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As with all rumors, you have to take them at face value. Nothing can be confirmed true until it becomes official, and sources that pretend to be credible can always end up being false. I've been contacted be several individuals with inside info, all of which requested anonymity. The rumors about the K-r (posted several days prior to its launch) turned out to the true, but only time will tell the true incarnation of the K-5 The things posted on the homepage are the "most probable" variants of the rumors on the site. You can't expect me to be a god and only fork out rumors that end up being true
Adam, are you trying to tell us that your crystal ball has focusing problems in low info situations? For Shame!

NaCl(you need to upgrade to the godikon 10 to the 53d model)H2O
09-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #94

It could be 7 af points or 37. If it doesn't work great it won't matter.

09-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
One can hope that the rumored sticker price is also inflated. Seriously, although I'll continue to enjoy some of these rumor threads, I'll be neither excited nor morose about the K-5 until I see it's actual price and what it delivers. Actually - I'll not be morose in any case.

Jer
What!!!! What kind of pentax user are you anyway Jer? Not even one doomandgloom post! No "the sky is falling!" pronouncements! This kind of level headedness has to stop Jer, at least here in the pentax news and rumors forum where the operating slogan sometimes seems to be "When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout".
I know what your problem is. You are simply sailing much to much. Too much serenity and relaxation.

NaCl(the solution is to sell the boat and take up politics)H2O
09-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I hope to hell there's not a prosumer model out there!

Blue you just gave the term "entry level" a whole new meaning

NaCl(I'm not sure I want to go any further with tins)H2O
09-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, my type of photography supports my career and not just my hobbies.

How many AF points did this take?
Man, I've not seen anything quite like this. Very impressive - it could look great on the cover a zoology text or the cover of a jazz album.

Jer

09-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #98
emr

Blue, what the heck is that creature? How big is it and how is it lit? I suspect it's something from Alien.
09-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
. . . . . . . Though I think my real high-tech dream would be an eye-or-thought-controlled floating AF point. (I always wondered why that tech seemed to dead-end and never get picked up again, the early versions impressed me) I don't think in terms of points, I think, I want the focus point *there,* and AF is just an indirect way to make that happen. . . . . .
What a cool idea - eye control seems possible although who knows what it would cost.

I've never been comfortable with those multiple focus points but couldn't explain why. You're comment puts into words what I couldn't.

Jer
09-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #100
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Blue, what the heck is that creature? How big is it and how is it lit? I suspect it's something from Alien.
That is a tiny wasp, Aphytis proclia. It is about 1.75mm long. It is actually mounted on a microscope slide in a mounting media that has chloral hydrate in it to clear the animal. Since it is normal tan and delicate, the chloral hydrate isn't to harsh on it. I photographed it with the K20d mounted on an Olympus Trinocular phase contrast compound scope but used the dark field condenser. I believe I used the 4x objective. When I purchased this scope for my lab, I had Olympus set it up to take Nikon bodies as well as Pentax. I won best Photo-micrograph and Best of Show at my professional societies photo salon last spring. I wasn't surprised about the winning the photo-micrograph but best of show surprised me because micro-graphs are challenging.

Edit: BTW, this kinds of wasps inspired a lot of sci-fi like alien. This particular wasp is called a armored scale insect parasitoid. The larva feeds on the host and an adult Ahytis emerges instead of the scale insect just like in alien.

Man, I've not seen anything quite like this. Very impressive - it could look great on the cover a zoology text or the cover of a jazz album.

Jer
Thanks! It may make it on a Journal cover or the Ent. Society of America's calendar.
09-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Adam, are you trying to tell us that your crystal ball has focusing problems in low info situations? For Shame!

NaCl(you need to upgrade to the godikon 10 to the 53d model)H2O
Yeah - and, BTW, where's Dr. Who when we need him?

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
What!!!! What kind of pentax user are you anyway Jer? Not even one doomandgloom post! No "the sky is falling!" pronouncements! This kind of level headedness has to stop Jer, at least here in the pentax news and rumors forum where the operating slogan sometimes seems to be "When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout".
I know what your problem is. You are simply sailing much to much. Too much serenity and relaxation.

NaCl(the solution is to sell the boat and take up politics)H2O
Hey buddy, sailing helps but so does what I learned during my Army days: "Maintain an Even Strain."

Jer
09-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #102
emr

Blue, well done!
09-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Now that the K-r has the screen of the K-7 I wonder if the K-5 will get an OLED screen? I know I like the AMOLED display of my Samsung Omnia II phone. Would be great if the K-5 had a similar quality screen.
09-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #104
Veteran Member

What a cool idea - eye control seems possible although who knows what it would cost.

I've never been comfortable with those multiple focus points but couldn't explain why. You're comment puts into words what I couldn't.

Jer
Canon actually had eye control on some film cameras right before digital hit the market. From what I gather it worked decently well except if you wore eyeglasses. Why they have not put the tech in their DSLRs remains a mystery; myself I suspect they are keeping it on the back burner until they run out of other "upgrades" and then it will magically reappear.
09-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
Thats disappointing as I appear to be one of the few who wanted more AF points.

The wide spread of the AF points in the current configuration often sees the AF struggle with small moving subjects as they shift between each point. This isn't a problem for larger subjects but more AF points would've allow customisation of AF between a small tight cluster or a wide spread as we have now.

bazz.
Put me on that list as well. I don't have any specific quantity of AF points in mind but I do want moving subjects (kids, vehicles, aerobatic aircraft) to stay in focus as they move around the image. Just to make it clear: continuous focus is needed and the subjects should not/cannot always be in the center (or any other fixed point) of the frame.