Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #106
Banned

Will the K-5 cost $500 more than the Nikon D7000 ? What feature does it have that is not on the D7000 makes it worth a $500 premium ?

Recap | Nikon Rumors

09-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Will the K-5 cost $500 more than the Nikon D7000 ? What feature does it have that is not on the D7000 makes it worth a $500 premium ?

Recap | Nikon Rumors
I suppose the smart-ass answer would be a K-mount.
09-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #108
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote

Recap | Nikon Rumors
good question.

if the d7000 has specs some better and some less than the k5, but a $500 premium for the k5?

what is Pentax marketing thinking?

however, we must remember, the d7000 specs are rumors as well. 9/15/2010 is the expected announcement date for the d7000.
we'll see then.

Last edited by opiedog; 09-12-2010 at 01:34 PM.
09-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #109
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
the video mode is set up more for pal we need 1080 24p for that flim like look ;[ 25p makes editing a chore

09-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #110
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D7000 - Is it weather sealed?
That alone would justify it.
Does it also have all the little added custom menu features that are on the K-7 (and not on their entry-level cams) that do make a difference to a photog?
09-12-2010, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

Having dozens of AF points for what, shooting in Auto all day? Get a P&S then, you can't beat focus in the infinity.

I really don't understand the issue with AF points. The camera is not telepathic, it doesn't matter how many points you have, in the end it won't focus where you wanted. The easiest way for me is to focus on center and recompose.

In my mind this is only for looking badass on spec sheets and for people that like bitching about gear. Kinda like megapixels on the P&S market.
09-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Weather sealing and inbody SR are worth the extra to me over the D7000

09-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #113
Inactive Account

d7000 is RUMORED to be weather proof like the d300s.
Recap | Nikon Rumors

although the rumored spec of the d7000 is very impressive, i find it hard to believe nikon can sell it at $1199. that would seriously kill the d300s sales, unless of course the d400 is coming.
09-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I really don't understand the issue with AF points. The camera is not telepathic, it doesn't matter how many points you have, in the end it won't focus where you wanted. The easiest way for me is to focus on center and recompose.
Sure, focus and recompose works great unless your subject is moving around a lot. I don't think most people want a lot of AF points just to have the camera select the "right one" for them for a normal scene, but rather it works like this on at least the cameras I am familiar with:

You pick a focus point, usually the center point, as the starting point. You place your subject (e.g. a bird or a soccer player or something) there and tell the camera to start tracking. Now when the subject moves across the viewfinder the camera will automatically switch which AF point it uses to keep focus on the subject. Soccer player runs to the right, the camera will start switching to the AF points to the right of center, etc. Then there are algorithms and settings that determine how long it will follow the predicted path of the subject before giving up, so if your bird flies behind a tree or a telephone pole, or your soccer player runs behind someone on the field, the camera will keep trying to predict where he/she was headed so that when they reappear it can reacquire focus.

THAT is what the large # of AF points is good for.
09-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #115
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
D7000 - Is it weather sealed?
That alone would justify it.
Does it also have all the little added custom menu features that are on the K-7 (and not on their entry-level cams) that do make a difference to a photog?
Someone seemed to think the D7000 would lack these things as well.

QuoteQuote:
*pro feel of D300(s)
* AF fine tune
* one-touch ISO & WB access
* 0ne-touch 100% detail display
* custom functions
* custom setting bank
* extra picture mode import
* tif recording
* lossless nef recording (maybe)
09-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As with all rumors, you have to take them at face value.
Of course, but your "news" are a bit misleading. They should clearly say that they still have "rumour" status (as opposed to being leaked and confirmed information).

Also, I think while it is fine if individuals indulge in rumour speculations, it is something else if the official homepage presents probably inflated specs. This leads to a short period with lots of discussions but then a painful wake up when it turns out the the new camera falls behind all the hype. Why create disappointment for what will probably be a great camera?

Last edited by Class A; 09-12-2010 at 02:34 PM.
09-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #117
Veteran Member

No surprise here.

I seem to be in the minority that use selective auto focus most of the time? The 4 "rule of thirds" points in Pentax's 11pt AF are my most used by far! I only go into full auto focus mode in situations like air-shows when the plane is moving hundreds of mph. It would be a bit time consuming to select through a large number of points and especially irritating if none of the points lined up with those 4 special "areas of interest." Pentax DSLRs are a photographers' camera. I've seen AF point layouts on some of the other cameras and they are horrid. That being said, I want to see Pentax make those 11 points as sensitive as possible.

I'm also wondering how people do creative photography when they are letting the camera select from those 11, 19, or 51 points for them...

Besides just letting the camera select for you, yeah, using the center point and refocusing is available. However, that requires shifting the camera, among other things, so I don't use that too often.
09-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
How many AF points did this take?
Say this was not flat but angled & turned and you wanted the focus to be on the front wing towards the bottom left corner. Good luck with centre-focus & recompose.

If you can manually select an AF point at that spot, the focus will be just right and you either don't have to move the camera at all (handy on a tripod) or much less (which helps with managing the focus shift that occurs when the camera is moved between focusing and taking the shot).
09-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #119
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Having dozens of AF points for what, shooting in Auto all day? Get a P&S then, you can't beat focus in the infinity.

In my mind this is only for looking badass on spec sheets and for people that like bitching about gear. Kinda like megapixels on the P&S market.
Rep +1. Apart from sports and fast-action photographers and low-light people, IMO I don't see anybody needing all that. Maybe we'll have cameras that will tell us what to shoot, focus on it and yell STFU when we try to override.
09-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shadmanaj Quote
Apart from sports and fast-action photographers and low-light people, IMO I don't see anybody needing all that.
"Many AF points" does not imply "automatic AF point selection". See my post above for only one useful application where you manually select one AF point. There are more useful applications.