Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by kales Quote
Now I am convinced that FF is no the only way for Pentax to go, since K-5 is APS and WR and has bette ISO and AF, isn't it a good time to improve the 16-50/2.8 that matches K-5?

A new 16-50/2.8 should have:
More powerful and reliable SDM, ring type
WR
eliminate screw drive

That would be tempting to me
actually I don't care about size, if I want real compact, I will choose sony TX series pocket camera

or we could say what we say when mentioned DA35/2.4 prime as a excuse

you don't need fast lens given good ISO performance blablablabla
kit lens is fast enough for most of the shoots blablablabla
you gonna to stop F2.8 down to F4 considering the IQ blablablabla
Hi,

I add: "better image quality at f/2.8"... because today, it's quite bad ...

Malsi

10-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #47
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The DA 16-50 is a decent lens. As to whether or not it is better than the competition in this focal length I can't say. It is certainly faster to focus than the 50-135 which struggles mightly in many situations, mainly because of a long focus throw. I think Falconeye is right however, I see Pentax continuing the 16-50 in production, but not changing the design. They had enough trouble taking care of the decentering problems with it. I had my SDM changed on it awhile back and it does seem more reliable (although not faster to focus).

It's not about whether 16-50 is focusing faster than competitor or 50-135, it's about the SDM compared to screw drive, and the failure.

If there has been failure of the SDM as whatever design or quality defect, pentax needs to tell us it's been solved. neither Saying"we had issue but we fixed it" or being silent is a good idea. the best way is to develop a gen2 lens, says improved motor (DC?). then we will know it's fixed, and pentax is not embarrassed.
10-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's not about whether 16-50 is focusing faster than competitor or 50-135, it's about the SDM compared to screw drive, and the failure.

If there has been failure of the SDM as whatever design or quality defect, pentax needs to tell us it's been solved. neither Saying"we had issue but we fixed it" or being silent is a good idea. the best way is to develop a gen2 lens, says improved motor (DC?). then we will know it's fixed, and pentax is not embarrassed.
I am not more clever than pentax marketing, so the 16-50 is not improved. Or the failure rate is not as high as need a immediate action.
10-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not more clever than pentax marketing, so the 16-50 is not improved. Or the failure rate is not as high as need a immediate action.
I bought a 16-50 as soon as they became available. Never had any problem with SDM or any other issue. I suspect the perception of SDM problems is very much distorted because of a few very vocal individuals on this and similar forums.

I remember reading a few years ago that the incidence of violent crime had declined 20% over the period being reviewd, but media coverage had increased 800% over that same period. Now, what do you think the public perception of the incidence of violent crime would be?

10-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Malsi Quote
Hi,

Malsi
As is any lens wide open ...best image quality is always 1-2 stops down. And I don't know that I would rate my 16-50 as "quite bad" @ f2.8 ...but certainly a bit softer than at f4 or 5.6.

If you want critically sharp images at f2.8 ...buy a f1.4 lens and shoot at f2.8.
10-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All 3 lenses have there good points and bad ones as seen in these tests PENTAX forum Slovenija • Poglej temo - TEST Pentax smc DA*16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM in konkurenca But I wish the Tamron and the Sigma came in WR.
10-28-2010, 04:01 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Malsi Quote
Hi,

Malsi
My DA 16-50 is pretty sharp between 20 and 45mm at f2.8. At the extremes it benefits quite a bit from being stopped down. At the same time, any lens (even a lens like the FA 31 limited) will benefit, at least a little bit, from being stopped down.