Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

drastic upgrading of AF algorithms - kr / kx possible?

from the description of the Kr, it looks like Pentax has done an overhaul of their AF algorithms. after all, the description "drastic" is pretty.... drastic.

i wonder if this could be applied via FW change to the Kx/K7 or could this drastic new algorithm be applicable only to the SAFOX IX?

just wondering....

09-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
from the description of the Kr, it looks like Pentax has done an overhaul of their AF algorithms. after all, the description "drastic" is pretty.... drastic.

i wonder if this could be applied via FW change to the Kx/K7 or could this drastic new algorithm be applicable only to the SAFOX IX?

just wondering....

There's only so much you can do in software.

I found my K-7's AF was gradually improved between ver 1 to 1.1 but at the end of the day the limitations are the hardware.
09-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AF has improved with almost every DSLR generation that Pentax has produced. Esp in terms of speed. Comparing AF on my old *istDS to my K-7 is like night and day.

I expect another similar evolution from the K-7 to the K-5. Probably the K-r may be somewhere in between?

Every time a massive change was expected (and announced?), but the quantification of the actual change in AF remained a relative thing. Most participants of threads in these forums grew to expect too much and complaints about AF not evolving drastically enough always prevailed.

Realism is due, but I think we can be sure that Pentax will continue improving AF in their cameras with every new generation.

Wim
09-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
true that AF has improved since the *istD, but this is the first time that a new SAFOX has been used.

there's also indication that the hardware (SAFOX IX) has better optics for more precise AF.

i also found it unusual for Pentax to describe the algorithm changes as drastic. maybe just a translation from japanese to english.
also the first time Pentax has announced shutter or focus priority modes for AFC.

i'm hoping the AF accuracy and speed changes and tracking (predictive?) are drastically better!

09-13-2010, 05:59 AM   #5

i dont know its only changes in the algorythms to me thats all software changes no hardware change at all so i think its likely if your running latest firmware for k-7 its probably the same as what the new k-5 will be

lack of a serious upgrade to the autofocus is why i think i'm gonna miss out this release unless reviews show i'm very very wrong - but regardless would like more than paltry 12 autofocus points - then again the rumours being false might be false too so will have to wait and see
09-13-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
true that AF has improved since the *istD, but this is the first time that a new SAFOX has been used.

there's also indication that the hardware (SAFOX IX) has better optics for more precise AF.

i also found it unusual for Pentax to describe the algorithm changes as drastic. maybe just a translation from japanese to english.
also the first time Pentax has announced shutter or focus priority modes for AFC.

i'm hoping the AF accuracy and speed changes and tracking (predictive?) are drastically better!
True, the *istD already used SAFOX VIII. Note though that for the K-7 Pentax did add a + to the designation, i.e. the K-7 using SAFOX VIII+. Perhaps they just realised that keeping the SAFOX VIII designation wasn't exactly the best way to communicate that the system was being continuously upgraded?

Anyway, I'm helping you hope SAFOX IX will be a great leap ahead. But I'm remaining cautiously realistic as well...

Wim
09-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

"Drastic" upgrade of algorithms could also be about contrast focus in live view. Professional stuff like improved face recognition, now also for pets and cows, and other must have functions in the same category.

09-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Remember both ist-D and K20D use the same SAFOX VIII but in practice the K20D is quite a bit faster.
There are variation in the same product called SAFOX v.xxx
09-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LV speed is dramatic improved. Shutter sound is more smooth. AF is better too.
It seems to me - faster than K-7.
09-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

If it is not "drastically" improved, it will say a lot about how serious Pentax is about staying in the game with DSLR's. They have had plenty of time to catch up in this area, and it is not like trying to build an atomic bomb......it is well known technology.
I recall using a friends D70 a few years back and marveling at how fast it focused compared to my K10D....it was almost unbelievable in the difference in low light.

I have no guess here as to what the K5 will do in AF.....I've heard this line from Pentax of from "Fan Boys" too many times to trust any rumors, or even Pentax promises. For my shooting it makes little difference, but for others it is of great importance, and for those times I need it, I have missed many shots while my camera goes on a hunting expedition. If they don't improve the SDM lenses to be much faster than my DA*50-135, it won't matter anyhow......I've seen 20 year old coon hunting dogs that were faster........
Best Regards
09-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #11
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If it is not "drastically" improved,
Best Regards
have a look - here
??? | PENTAX K-r ??? ??? - ??? | ??? ???
09-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
while the AF performance change from my *istDL to K10 to Km to Kx was very noticeable, none of the pentax marketing literature explicitly mentions big changes in AF. even the K7's literature only mentions SAFOX VIII+ with emphasis on the +.

as i've mentioned earlier, this is the first time pentax has explicitly mentioned BIG AF changes to the new cameras. algorithms, AF modes, better optics for SAFOX IX...

in the 645D video, the pentax rep was indicating that the 645's AF was pretty good in low light/low contrast.

i for one am hoping this is not simply marketing blabber (due to getting their arse kicked), but real big performance gains in AF.
09-13-2010, 07:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
True, the *istD already used SAFOX VIII. Note though that for the K-7 Pentax did add a + to the designation, i.e. the K-7 using SAFOX VIII+. Perhaps they just realised that keeping the SAFOX VIII designation wasn't exactly the best way to communicate that the system was being continuously upgraded?
The "+" suffix simply meant that the camera has an additional sensor to correct the AF for tungsten lighting.
09-13-2010, 07:19 AM   #14
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The "+" suffix simply meant that the camera has an additional sensor to correct the AF for tungsten lighting.
Yes. 100%.
09-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
this page takes so long to load it's timing out.

edit... the FPS seems pretty fast. noise level is a tad louder than the k7's. nice!

thanks

jordan

Last edited by opiedog; 09-13-2010 at 09:56 AM.