Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Dunno what goes in K-r...
But comparing K-x and K-7 probably a lot of this will stay true:
* 77-seg metering
* IR AND Wired remote
* Deeper buffer (important if you shoot action in RAW)
~ May i add to #5 that as is the battery, the k-7 grip will probably be also compatible.
~ Dare i say - if K-r has some wireless capability, maybe K-5 in addition goes WiFi? Talking about connectivity, USB 3.0 would come handy with modern image and movie sizes.

Last edited by ytterbium; 09-13-2010 at 02:10 PM.
09-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
if price is correct, this would make it $600 more than the kr.
assuming the High ISO is great, what does $600 buy me?

1. pentaprism
2. dual control wheels
3. WR
4. more direct buttons
5. Grip capable
6. SAFOX IX+ (the plus)
7. ?manual video controls?
8. other ports like HDMI, wired remote
9. possibly quieter shutter mechanism and more actuations
10. 8 fps?
11. dual SD?
12. mag allow body
13. what else?

sorry.
just trying to see if if i can justify $600 more than the kr or possibly wait (ugh) till price drops a bit, maybe by christmas
The Dual dials are a Must have for me at this point, and more importantly, they must be mappable. That's a deal breaker on the Kr as was on the Kx. The K7 already has the HDMI and Wired Remote capability. Quiet shutter as well. The grip has been on my camera since about the second month I owned it.

I paid $1099 for mine with the WR kit lens at the end of October, 4 or 5 months after hitting the market, Just before the latest round of Rebates.

Can you justify the money? That's up to you. The Kx was JUST released when I bought my K7 but as I explain above, the Kx was not the camera for me. I'm intrigued but the K5 but it's going to have to be a quantum jump in improvement for me to abandon the K7 right now.

09-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

your forgot the electronic level, ultrasonic dust reduction, and a few options (ability to bracket 5 shots instead of 3, more auto ISO control, ...).
09-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I don't think the question is K-5 versus K-r--depending on budget, there are enough features to differentiate the "basic" from the "advanced" versions of Pentax DSLRs, which I happen to think are well aligned for a 2-camera manufacturer--but rather what matters to me is the the K-7 versus the K-5. K-7 prices will drop considerably, especially if one is willing to consider buying used. And buying any just-released electronic gizmo will carry a premium. Certainly some will buy the K-5 as soon as it is available, and you probably already know who you are, but the real question is where the K-5 prices will be in early December compared to the K-7. At this point, we don't even know the K-5 specifications for sure, much less its sensor's capability, nor where the K-7 price will go (which will be mostly dependent on the released, as compared to the rumored, K-5).

To me, the big Pentax question is whether they have produced enough K-7 and K-x cameras to continue retailing those lines for at least a few months after they release--and start manufacturing--the K-5 and K-r. The K-7 versus K-r will be an interesting quandary for many. In my opinion, those who go for specifications will choose K-r, while those who go for quality of experience will go for K-7.

More on point, I think the K-7 versus K-r question was well addressed by Mr. Ferris Bueller: "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

09-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Well I'm hoping they have improved the AF over the K20D. I will probably see if Camera Lens Rental has the K5 for rent this winter and give it a try once or twice. If it helps fill the AF problems I have I will buy one by next years motorcycle season for sure.

Jim
09-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by liveincontrast Quote
18-135 lens?
I second this question.
09-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisOBrien Quote
I second this question.
Yes it will be offered in kit. It will be a 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR.
09-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #23

That's pretty cool, I definitely would have preferred it over the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 WR.

09-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

if price is correct, this would make it $600 more than the kr. assuming the High ISO is great, what does $600 buy me?
First off, the ability to recycle your K-7's grip is nice, as it equates to the difference between the value of your old grip and the price of a new one. That's probably around $50 saved, which is still something.

I would be lost without a top LCD, the great feel of the K-7, and the dual control wheels. While I'm at it, I'll take the greatly improved AF and the improved high-ISO performance, as well as the increased resolution (although that's marginal).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I value features in the following rough order. Not all are related to the new models. This is a personal list and is not related to what I may have stated elsewhere about features I think a given Pentax model should have to be successful in the market. Because I am not so egocentric as to imagine that I constitute a valid market.

DECISIVE FEATURES
dual control wheels
Pentaprism
quiet shutter
lightest weight possible (under 650g)
smallest size possible (under 850 cubic cm)
magnesium body with port locks (K20D style)
logical button layout
programmable soft button (K-x Green button comes closest to date)
lens-based (eg multiple) AF adjustment
ISO 80
manual video controls
AF assist light
AF dot overlay in viewfinder
3" LCD panel
articulated LCD*
able to set dial to ISO in M mode*
custom menu*
more accurate focus indication in viewfinder*
multiple exposure mode on drive menu*

NICE TO HAVE FEATURES
1080p video vs 720p
HDMI out (for video link)
wired remote socket
weather resistance (would give up for size so long as build solid)
dual SD
lock on mode dial (or a K20D dial that doesn't move anyway!)
1/250 flash sync
uncrippled mount with aperture lever*

COULDN'T CARE REALLY
no scene modes on dial (I can ignore them)
grip capable
PC sync socket
mic input (use external recorder)
SAFOX IX+ (er, whatever)
faster shot rate (no use at all)
more direct buttons (save space instead!)
top display (ditto)
TAv mode & hyperprogram
slightly faster max shutter speed

* these not yet available on any models
09-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #26
Veteran Member

There is still more. 400mm DA* and 18-260mm. Hey Christopher M.W.T. So far so good (18-135mm WR). Hope the WR Flash Comes up.
09-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Re-reading my list I must conclude that I'm not too interested in the new models.

All I really want is a K-7 the size/weight of a K-x, with improved video (just made my first film!) and ergonomic improvements that likely will never happen. So I guess I will wait and buy a discounted K-7.
09-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #28
m8o
Veteran Member

if price is correct, this would make it $600 more than the kr.
assuming the High ISO is great, what does $600 buy me?

1. ...
13. what else?
sorry.
just trying to see if if i can justify $600 more than the kr or possibly wait (ugh) till price drops a bit, maybe by christmas
And for me? They had me @ just $1400 no questions asked (but superior focusing and low-light / hi-ISO performance a must; period). I thought it would be $1500 or $1600.
09-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
There is still more. 400mm DA* and 18-260mm. Hey Christopher M.W.T. So far so good (18-135mm WR). Hope the WR Flash Comes up.
Really? Check on the 18-135. Wonder if it will be SDM

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Re-reading my list I must conclude that I'm not too interested in the new models.

All I really want is a K-7 the size/weight of a K-x, with improved video (just made my first film!) and ergonomic improvements that likely will never happen. So I guess I will wait and buy a discounted K-7.
Robin, just get the K-7. It works. I suspect that we will get at least one more firmware upgrade out of Pentax related to video, based on the new features likely to come out in the K-5 - once the bugs are ironed out. We have already seen video editing in-camera added.
09-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #30
Pentaxian

im in for a k-5 worth it easily.