Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Isn't it obvious? Pentax/Hoya believe in the DBZ (and other anime) philosophy. They want to be the Goku-like protagonist that always shows up just at the last second with the most power and skill to defeat the final bad guy. All of the other people of his group start off early and eventually get beaten.

09-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #32

Original Poster
First, I agree with all of you who stated that is is a minor point. I am not trying to stir up controversy nor am I disparaging Ned Bunnell personally. It may be his personal blog, but virtually every post involves Pentax equipment or press in some way. If the blog was purely personal, I would not be commenting on it here and I would not be looking at it. I have always thought of it as a nice PR extension of Pentax (personal views of the equipment on the U.S. president of his company), and as such fairgame for comment. I also have always thought, as many of you have intimated, that Pentax has some say in what goes up on the blog, hence the marketing comment. I am an avid Pentax fan (especially the lenses), but ultimately they are tools that I am spending quite a bit of money on and I am concerned about its continued success. I am sure that Ned Bunnell is a very nice guy, but he not my uncle, he is the head of Pentax U.S.
09-15-2010, 06:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
He did get himself into a little hot water with his Leica article. Maybe he just decided not to blog anymore. It's safer.
Seems like the most plausible explanation. That said, although I have not had the pleasure of personally meeting him and I'm sure that he's a terrifically splendid nice fellow, his posts do come across as pure Pentax marketing - of which there is enough already - so I honestly can't say that I feel that my life is poorer for the lack of posts .
09-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A German Pentax manager is also openly stating that he is photographing with Pentax and Leica M8.
I don't see a problem here.

I think the most probable explanation is blog-fatigue.

09-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
A German Pentax manager is also openly stating that he is photographing with Pentax and Leica M8.
The big difference IMHO is that Ned Bunnell spoke about a compact Leica, a clone of a Panasonic P&S competitor of Pentax. The M8 is another matter, it's a not a competitor at all, it's a niche product. I still think it's a faux pas from Ned. But this is certainly not the reason why his blog has not been updated for months.
09-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #36
Site Supporter

I think the most probable explanation is blog-fatigue.
Is the German Leica manager openly using a 645D? Ned was using a D-Lux-4 that was a compact level not covered by Pentax. If the German Pentax manager is running the M8 next to the 645D, that would be one thing or even better the M9. I understand what you are saying about "personal" photography. However, these guys don't have the marketing position to be openly screwing around. That said, I actually like Ned.
09-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How is any pentax p&s a competitor of lx3??

09-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #38
Veteran Member

If Ned is using Leica compact and some Leica guy is using Pentax, then we can start a rumor of possibility of a merger. evil grin
09-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No one said it was. In fact, that was the point. Go back and re-read.

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
If Ned is using Leica compact and some Leica guy is using Pentax, then we can start a rumor of possibility of a merger. evil grin
All things considered, that's not out of the realm of possibility. After all Pentax did make a lens in Leica mount.
09-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jess Quote
First, I agree with all of you who stated that is is a minor point. I am not trying to stir up controversy nor am I disparaging Ned Bunnell personally. It may be his personal blog, but virtually every post involves Pentax equipment or press in some way. If the blog was purely personal, I would not be commenting on it here and I would not be looking at it. I have always thought of it as a nice PR extension of Pentax (personal views of the equipment on the U.S. president of his company), and as such fairgame for comment. I also have always thought, as many of you have intimated, that Pentax has some say in what goes up on the blog, hence the marketing comment. I am an avid Pentax fan (especially the lenses), but ultimately they are tools that I am spending quite a bit of money on and I am concerned about its continued success. I am sure that Ned Bunnell is a very nice guy, but he not my uncle, he is the head of Pentax U.S.
AND Ned had cited his blog entries here and at DPR for marketing purposes, so it's not strictly a personal blog.
09-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yes I know the LX-3 was above anything Pentax offered but not by that much. It's still a fingernail sensor selling around 500$. It was not a direct competitor but close enough to create a malaise IMHO. And you see, people still talk about it years later...
09-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Yes I know the LX-3 was above anything Pentax offered but not by that much. It's still a fingernail sensor selling around 500$. It was not a direct competitor but close enough to create a malaise IMHO. And you see, people still talk about it years later...
It is actually nearly the bigger of the small sensors. Almost the only way to go bigger is to go 4/3.
09-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It is actually nearly the bigger of the small sensors. Almost the only way to go bigger is to go 4/3.
Yes. Most compacts use a 1/2.3" sensor nowadays (28.5mm˛). High-end P&S use 1/1.7" sensor (or close) at about 43mm˛. The biggest P&S sensors are the 2/3" (58mm˛) but I only remember the Fuji S100Fs using this size. The LX-3 uses a 1/1.63" sensor (around 49mm˛). The "small" 4/3 sensor is 225mm˛.
09-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
very simple... they do not have any Russian staff... unlike Pentax USA, there is no Pentax Russia

PENTAX and Group Companies

and then people who were posting information were not from Russia only
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
There is no Pentax Russia and never was.

Damn, talk about quick to flame ... I was more ref to the distributor(s) than a division of the company. I know Pentax does not have a HQ, but the distributor should have been some massive hot water over the prev leaks

There is always someone to hire/fire be it an employee or a contractor

Last edited by BrendanPK; 09-15-2010 at 11:19 AM.
09-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #45
emr

Leica, OK. But Pentax marketing shoots Canon!