Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Leica, OK. But Pentax marketing shoots Canon!
I believe they outsource their ads, and see no problem in them doing so.

09-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ned is showing us the Pentaxian way of life:
Enjoy a good wine and take care of your mother.
Anything else?
09-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Leica, OK. But Pentax marketing shoots Canon!
... and many of the Microsoft "Windows 7" ads showing on TV were edited on Apple systems running Final Cut Pro or Avid Media Composer . So what?
09-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesMizzell Quote
... and many of the Microsoft "Windows 7" ads showing on TV were edited on Apple systems running Final Cut Pro or Avid Media Composer . So what?
Yes, and the Apple Ads have a heyday with that sort of thing. Its potential weakness. The Nikon folks don't use Canon for their promo stuff and vice verse.

09-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Jeez.... this is unbelievable. Using this sort of reasoning, almost any step Pentax makes - or any other company for that matter - can be seen in a political light. Microsoft traffic being routed through Linux servers, presidents of car companies driving different makes (don't have a link but I'm sure it happens), even US airlines ordering European Airbuses.

Do you honestly think Pentax marketing has nothing better to do than making sure product photos are shot with Pentax gear?? Thank god they spend their time tackling bigger issues. It's a shame some members can't see it that way. Please people keep some perspective on things, and focus on what matters to you, not on political statements that are worth nothing.
09-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I have to say, to let a blog run dry "because it's safer" is entirely missing the point. Where would Ken Rockwell be if he followed that? Some anonymous photog getting no freebies and no one's ear. Ditto Luminous Landscapes and Mike Johnston. You don't have to be expert, you just have to generate a following and develop a reputation. People will listen.

Meanwhile, Ned Bunnell doesn't even have a profile on LinkedIn. This would appear to be him, given that there are Hoya employees in the "people who viewed this profile..." list. But it doesn't even list Hoya as his employer.

Professionally and reputation-wise, you have to do these things. Especially because he's in marketing. Things are changing quickly these days, sites like LinkedIn are very important today.

I'll give you an example. I was contacted by "a venture capitalist on Sand Hill Road" a few weeks ago. A bit of a search showed that he was something else altogether. The 'net is a very effective way of determining someone's professional credentials.

By letting his "online persona" go, he's let himself become associated with another camera brand(!) and now, frankly, it's not even clear to anyone trying to find out more about the man at the helm for Hoya in the US that he's still working for Hoya.
09-15-2010, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Jeez.... this is unbelievable. Using this sort of reasoning, almost any step Pentax makes - or any other company for that matter - can be seen in a political light. Microsoft traffic being routed through Linux servers, presidents of car companies driving different makes (don't have a link but I'm sure it happens), even US airlines ordering European Airbuses.

Do you honestly think Pentax marketing has nothing better to do than making sure product photos are shot with Pentax gear?? Thank god they spend their time tackling bigger issues. It's a shame some members can't see it that way. Please people keep some perspective on things, and focus on what matters to you, not on political statements that are worth nothing.
With all due respect, I'm not going to buy an automobile from a dealer that's driving the competition. It would be kind of weird to be shopping for a Mustang GT, and have the Ford dealer trying to sell it to me drive up in a Dodge Magnum. :Hysterical: BTW, the router analogy is one of the weakest straw-man arguments I've ever seen. Its a mystery why Pentax wouldn't use the 645D for their product shots etc. We aren't talking about personal collections and items here. We are talking about marketing which is one area Pentax has had a plethora of problems for nearly 25 years.
09-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Except Zackspeed - who's still posting winkies instead of smilies.

Note: The above is meant to be taken humorously as I've chastised him elsewhere for posting winks at every possible opportunity but holding his knowledge very close to his vest.

I don't chastise him for keeping his counsel - that's probably the honorable thing to do. It's this damn winking in a very knowing fashion at every other speculation, including the one that suggested an art mode that put mullets on every male in the photo under the apparent age of 35.

I may have made that last one up.
What are winkies????

09-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Oh,forget one....Ned should be in work with the new Service unit for the 645 in US and maybe he will be at Photokina in Germany.
And he will own all K-5 Bodys,same like a friend in Hamburg.He have all Bodys for the Exibition in his Office......what a badboy.........could send me one by email...........
best regards andy

p.s.:what makes me wonder.....to the k-5,itīs the first time that nobody of the pentax stuff has one new body at home........complete no body of k-5 is in another hand than in the chief of productmanagment.........why?????have a special reason?????
to much sweet things?will hope the best...... need a winkie??
09-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #55
Pentaxian

I just read the review for the 645D by Ken Rockwell and in it he says that Nikon does their PR shots on Phase One digital backs. He surmises that they might be using Contax 645N's. Just sayin'.
09-15-2010, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I just read the review for the 645D by Ken Rockwell and in it he says that Nikon does their PR shots on Phase One digital backs. He surmises that they might be using Contax 645N's. Just sayin'.
I based my comment on exif of Nikon and Canon official images, and not Ken Rockwool. However, its not like Nikon has a mf body. Although, Nikon used to make lenses for large format. I wonder what would happen if Coach Dooly shows up to the UT-UF game on Saturday wearing a Crimson Tide shirt.
09-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #57
Pentaxian

I agree with you on a lot of this stuff, the auto exec especially, like I said, just sayin'.
09-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
With all due respect, I'm not going to buy an automobile from a dealer that's driving the competition. It would be kind of weird to be shopping for a Mustang GT, and have the Ford dealer trying to sell it to me drive up in a Dodge Magnum. :Hysterical: BTW, the router analogy is one of the weakest straw-man arguments I've ever seen. Its a mystery why Pentax wouldn't use the 645D for their product shots etc. We aren't talking about personal collections and items here. We are talking about marketing which is one area Pentax has had a plethora of problems for nearly 25 years.
That's your choice. Either way, I wasn't talking about dealers trying to sell you other cars. I was talking about car manufacturers CEO's driving something else. It happens.

How do you know Pentax photographs their products themselves? What if, as others have mentioned, Pentax outsources some of their marketing? Do you really think it's worth the effort to interfere at the operational level of the marketing team, telling them they have to switch to equipment unfamiliar to them? I'm happy Pentax seems to focus on bigger issues than that.

Btw, the router argument may be weak (reading through it, it wasn't simple routing btw, it was http caching, but whatever). But what about this? When Microsoft took over Hotmail, they let the servers initially run on FreeBSD because they did so well. Sure it wasn't an MS product, but the servers ran very stable, the IT team knew the systems well, and users benefited from that. Sometimes being too much of a perfectionist in one area can compromise your final product.
09-16-2010, 06:25 AM   #59
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
That's your choice. Either way, I wasn't talking about dealers trying to sell you other cars. I was talking about car manufacturers CEO's driving something else. It happens.

How do you know Pentax photographs their products themselves? What if, as others have mentioned, Pentax outsources some of their marketing? Do you really think it's worth the effort to interfere at the operational level of the marketing team, telling them they have to switch to equipment unfamiliar to them? I'm happy Pentax seems to focus on bigger issues than that.

Btw, the router argument may be weak (reading through it, it wasn't simple routing btw, it was http caching, but whatever). But what about this? When Microsoft took over Hotmail, they let the servers initially run on FreeBSD because they did so well. Sure it wasn't an MS product, but the servers ran very stable, the IT team knew the systems well, and users benefited from that. Sometimes being too much of a perfectionist in one area can compromise your final product.
Ned is the President of Pentax Imaging which is the marketing entity in the U.S.A. There is no Pentax presence in Florida and next to none in the Southern U.S.A. The average southern state is the size of many countries or bigger.

Furthermore, if Pentax doesn't photograph their products themselves, they should be providing the marketing company with Pentax gear to do so or requiring the EXIF to be taken out. However, why do they need guys in Marketing if they are hiring 3rd parties. Lastly, they are missing a golden PR and marketing opportunity by not having their gear, especially the 645D at present to be required for this.

Its about visibility and perception.
09-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Ned is the President of Pentax Imaging which is the marketing entity in the U.S.A. There is no Pentax presence in Florida and next to none in the Southern U.S.A. The average southern state is the size of many countries or bigger.
So you're emphasizing it's crucial to make a good first impression to users? I agree with that. But still, companies being companies I can hardly imagine a good reason for interfering in the operational processes of a marketing company.

Furthermore, if Pentax doesn't photograph their products themselves, they should be providing the marketing company with Pentax gear to do so or requiring the EXIF to be taken out.
I thought about the EXIF option as well. I would imagine it would have low impact on the operational processes of the marketing team while at the same time preventing discussions such as this one. Seems like a good option to me. Perhaps the local trainee forgot to do it .

However, why do they need guys in Marketing if they are hiring 3rd parties.
Why do IT companies sometimes hire external programmers? I think you are oversimplifying things here. There are a lot of factors involved in deciding whether to outsource (part of) certain business processes. And who says they are outsourcing everything? At the very least, I would imagine they need people to do quality control.

Lastly, they are missing a golden PR and marketing opportunity by not having their gear, especially the 645D at present to be required for this.

Its about visibility and perception.
I agree they might be missing out on an opportunity. But then, what opportunity did you have in mind? Placing a text under every photo in every leaflet, website, etc. saying "Shot with Pentax"? Do you think that will significantly increase sales numbers?