Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #106
Veteran Member

I'm guessing flash guns & tethering are last century as well :P

I could live without a teleconverter but what's making it harder for me to stay with the system is poor flash system.

Which is a shame as I love the Pentax ergonomics and body design I haven't felt another camera like it.

11-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I cannot confirm MisereRE's experience.

At least the higher German executives know exactly what happened to the TC. I asked.

As a matter of fact, Pentax Europe (Hamburg in this case) requested the TC goes in production. Tokyo dismissed the wish. The internal communication between Europe and Japan seems to be such that Tokyo is convinced that the digital age with low pixel pitch sensors doesn't require a TC anymore.

At some time, our dear member zackspeed here even tried to help build up evidence that this isn't the case and that there is high interest for a TC indeed. Europe explained to Tokyo that a digitally zoomed image has not the same image quality than an image from a good prime with good TC.

Everything has been in vain. For Tokyo, a TC is a last century technology. Period.

You can get some rather emotional responses if you ask the right persons at Pentax

The fact that MisereRE got the answer he got tells me that the Americas didn't even care or din't want to disclose the dispute. Shame on Ned
Falk, I have no idea which of the two options it is. For the record, Ned is not one of the 3 people I spoke to about the TC.

As for last century, I agree, Pentax's TCs are all last century, and we want a TC for this century: digital coatings, fully compatible with SDM and screwdrive focusing, with appropriate circuitry to communicate the correct focal length and aperture of the lens+TC combo to the body, and weather-sealed. We'd also like it in two flavours: 1.4x and 2x.

It's true you can crop if you have a 16MP image to begin with, but I think if you ask wildlife shooters around here they will tell you they use a long lens plus a TC and they still crop. If you eliminate the TC then you have to crop even more and might end up with a 2-3MP image. That's fine for the web, but I wouldn't want to print it at 12x18 and try to sell it.

When Canon released the 7D many wildlife shooters flocked (pardon the pun) to that camera because of the high resolution (and the AF), but I bet they didn't sell their Canon or Sigma TCs.
11-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
For me, its not the lack of wanting the FA 600/4. Its a matter of ~ $8500 to get it.

On another note, I like how the claim a TC is last Centuries tech. I wonder what century there Marketing is in?
I wouldn't insist that "last Centuries tech" was their exact wording. But you get the idea (deprecated tech).

I proposed a 500/5.6 because it has a high resolving power (esp. with a 16 MP APSC sensor), does still AF pretty well, and is fast enough with a high iso camera like the K-5. A 400 would be too close to a 300, a 600 would definitely break the $2000 barrier (or become f/8 w/o AF support).

At sunny daylight and stopped down to 6.3 and 1/1000s for tack-sharp free hand images, you just need ISO 200. So, there is headroom for cloudy days.

More importantly though, its diameter (89mm) is only 1.4x in surface over a 300/4 and so should it's weight and price. Still portable, still usable w/o a tripod outdoor. The perfect Pentax ultra tele if tack sharp (a DFA*).

I think, Pentax would have to test the waters with such a still affordable ultra tele option ($2000) before revisiting legendary lenses like 250-600 or 600/4.

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
As for last century, I agree, Pentax's TCs are all last century, and we want a TC for this century: digital coatings, fully compatible with SDM and screwdrive focusing, with appropriate circuitry to communicate the correct focal length and aperture of the lens+TC combo to the body, and weather-sealed. We'd also like it in two flavours: 1.4x and 2x.

It's true you can crop if you have a 16MP image to begin with, but I think if you ask wildlife shooters around here they will tell you they use a long lens plus a TC and they still crop. If you eliminate the TC then you have to crop even more and might end up with a 2-3MP image. That's fine for the web, but I wouldn't want to print it at 12x18 and try to sell it.

When Canon released the 7D many wildlife shooters flocked (pardon the pun) to that camera because of the high resolution (and the AF), but I bet they didn't sell their Canon or Sigma TCs.
Miserere, you don't need convince me As I think exactly the same.

Now that Ned links to your blog, maybe make a blog entry about why Pentax needs a TC now. Maybe, you'll be heard in Japan. Their own employees aren't.
11-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #109
Pentaxian

The only TC I'd be interested in would turn my MF lenses into AF lenses (as the Pentax 1.7 TC does). Actually, it could be a 1x TC for that matter.

In all my experiments with 2x TCs, cropping was the better option or at least equivalent (and I used sharp lenses like the Tamron 90mm SP macro). As to combining a TC and cropping, hell no! If I felt my lenses aren't long enough, I'd rather wait for the next (higher MP) sensor, rather than for a TC.

11-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #110
Veteran Member

...and the missing lens really is a fast focussing very sharp 500/5.6 for around $2000 (which should be the expected MSRP applying a diameter-squared price scaling formula and assuming the DA*300/4 is $1400). Screw drive plus ring motor SDM.
That is a lenses I would be seriously interested in. Yet, I fear the proposed price is somehow optimistic...
11-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #111
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If we have a look at test of photozone for tele-lenses with TC and without, we can see that
the drop of resolution is just ~8% at center and ~10-15% at the corners ( + 1 stop lost).

Good optical quality TC can't make much worse IQ. The real life photo shots confirm it.
11-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Miserere, you don't need convince me As I think exactly the same.
Oh, I know, I was just ranting a bit, not directing at you in particular.

QuoteQuote:
Now that Ned links to your blog, maybe make a blog entry about why Pentax needs a TC now. Maybe, you'll be heard in Japan. Their own employees aren't.
Falk, if they don't listen to their international branches, do you really think they'll listen to me? I'm flattered that you would think so

11-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Falk, if they don't listen to their international branches, do you really think they'll listen to me? I'm flattered that you would think so
Miserere, how many at Pentax do you listen to when it comes to camera technology? To a certain degree, I can understand where the ignorance is coming from. So maybe, select blogs directly accessible in Tokyo can have an increasing impact. I'm not sure. But won't exclude this as a possibility.

11-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Miserere, how many at Pentax do you listen to when it comes to camera technology? To a certain degree, I can understand where the ignorance is coming from. So maybe, select blogs directly accessible in Tokyo can have an increasing impact. I'm not sure. But won't exclude this as a possibility.
I agree ... the bottom line is, it can't hurt
maybe back the claim (or plee ) with some poll results here at the forum + quotes from prominent pentaxians that would also be interested in a TC
that's free market research and something that Pentax Europe could use to bolster their claim and convince Tokyo
11-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #115

I think a 500/5.6 would make sense indeed (<$2000) ... cause now I couldn't decide whether to go with the 60-250 or the 300 (focal length is too close and my income too low to have a reason to buy both, however, for such a super-tele lens I wouldn't think twice ;-)
11-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
That is a lenses I would be seriously interested in. Yet, I fear the proposed price is somehow optimistic...
Re: 500/5.6
The price of super tele lenses roughly increases with the square of lens diameter.

75mm - 200/2.8, 300/4, 400/5.6: $1400 (can be found cheaper)
90mm - 500/5.6: $2000 (my proposed price)
110mm - 500/4.5, 600/5.6: $3000 (real price is higher, probalbly due to handmade surcharge)

So, I assumed enough demand for such a super tele to make it affordable at $1999 :ugh: The barrier where prices start to explode seems to be around 100mm. Canon has a price explosion when going from 400/5.6L to 400/4L IS. Seems the IS is very expensive too.

Last edited by falconeye; 11-12-2010 at 08:02 PM.
11-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #117
Veteran Member

I still cannot understand, the guy on here that spoke with Ned Bunnell how could he forget to ask about tethering one of the most hotly demanded items on recent Pentax cameras....
11-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
I still cannot understand, the guy on here that spoke with Ned Bunnell how could he forget to ask about tethering one of the most hotly demanded items on recent Pentax cameras....
Geez, is your full name Christopher M.W. Tethering?

I got a deja-vu when I read your post, as I'm sure I've seen it in a few other threads. Why don't you ask Ned? He can be contacted via his blog.
11-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Geez, is your full name Christopher M.W. Tethering?

I got a deja-vu when I read your post, as I'm sure I've seen it in a few other threads. Why don't you ask Ned? He can be contacted via his blog.
I get bored...............

But seriously maybe if the question gets asked enough someone who see's Ned again might think to ask that question
11-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Getting back on topic, Ned has moved his blog to the Posterous platform:

Ned's Photo Journal - Pentax Photography and Notes