Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I expect that after the K-7 leaks, that Hoya has clamped down on ANYONE leaking ANYTHING.

I doubt a conservative Japanese company feels viral marketing is a good thing.

I think, Ned, being a guy who actually likes to take and post photos on his blog, has imposed a period of self sensorship.

He might be shooting with both the K-5, and the K-7, and the chance that he might mistakenly post K-5 photos is too great, so he has chosen to post nothing.

Or he is too busy trying to get a job with Leica.
I think you have the most valid points.
Ned is a great guy, Met him on several occasions but he is also a Super Smart guy too. Their is a reason that various companies have brought him in over the years... He knows his stuff.
Also the point on JP cracking down is probably on the mark, Little to no forum action has happened from both him and John (C) in the last few months. JP (all jp companies for that point, its a cultural thing) is extremely tight on their control of the company and frankly I am amazed they have let the Russian staff stay on after so may leaks have come from them alone in the past few years.
Anyway, I am sure that they will hit the net again after/during photokina to help w/ some free marketing
As for Leica, well they dont hire too much outside of Germany, met the VP last year twice, VERY nice guy, but I'm sure that the company as a whole pays out more on R&D than in personel or advertising. though... who wouldnt ever want to work for the most classic camera company in the world

09-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
Inactive Account

reminds me of an old game

Where in the world is carmen san diego?

in this case, it's

Where in the world is Ned Bunnell?

i guess in cologne or on his way there
09-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe it's a different kind of viral marketing.

By posting nothing, being missing, they've got us all now obsessing over where they are and why they are not posting about these new cameras.

Which gets us talking and fretting over them and the new products…without the trouble of posting anything!

Utterly brilliant! Non-Viral Viral Marketing!
09-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
Where in the world is carmen san diego?

in this case, it's

Where in the world is Ned Bunnell?

i guess in cologne or on his way there
He's probably over there this week taking some tourist shots with his D-Lux-4.

Last edited by Blue; 09-14-2010 at 11:58 AM.
09-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian

He did get himself into a little hot water with his Leica article. Maybe he just decided not to blog anymore. It's safer. Maybe he's still in Hawaii on vacation.
09-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
A little slack for old uncle Ned......please! We seem to have this idea that his last name is Pentax, and he should be hammering away night and day to put a shine on the product, regardless of the business consequences of giving out too much information....too soon. He is not "Uncle Pentax" and he is not a "good 'ol boy" shooter amongst us...he is an executive businessman first and all that other nonsense second...or third. It all sounds great to think he is just "one of us"......but he isn't! Nothing wrong with this, it is simply business. The CEO of Ford is not going to help me change oil in my Ford........why should he?
Regards
...and why wouldn't the CEO of Ford help you change your Ford's oil...when I bought a new Ford, the dealer told me that I was now part of the Ford family !!
09-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
TS: I think you're making something out of nothing. It's not like he's announcing Pentax withdrawing from the SLR market on his blog or anything. Like several others said, it's a personal blog, not an advertisement site. No big deal if he doesn't post on it for some time. Seriously, if I were you I would stick to the facts and not make assumptions based on observations of the man's blog. For me, it would be unnerving if he would announce a complete withdrawal from the SLR market. But I haven't seen anything like that. Please try and keep some perspective.

Besides, when he does post something, it's usually his experience with recent cameras or lenses. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few weeks or months, he posts his experience with the K-r and/or K-5.

09-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I hope that he's too busy working on the marketing and advertising strategy for the K-r, K-5 and 645d...
09-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

He may well be dealing with personal/family matters - matters he does not care to discuss publicly. Many of us know that situation entirely too well.

OTOH, his "personal" blog is in his persona as senior management for Pentax USA. If he were to tell his readers that he's unable to continue for a while owing to press of business (the nature of which is none of our business), that would allow him to tend to the more urgent things in his life without getting whacked by Pentaxians who play with "going over to the enemy" posts, however lightly those posts are meant to be taken.

That last sentence is too long.

Summary: if he cannot post, it would be more professional to announce that.

I, for one, wish him well in his personal and professional life. As I do the rest our clan.
09-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Except Zackspeed - who's still posting winkies instead of smilies.

Note: The above is meant to be taken humorously as I've chastised him elsewhere for posting winks at every possible opportunity but holding his knowledge very close to his vest.

I don't chastise him for keeping his counsel - that's probably the honorable thing to do. It's this damn winking in a very knowing fashion at every other speculation, including the one that suggested an art mode that put mullets on every male in the photo under the apparent age of 35.

I may have made that last one up.
09-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
and frankly I am amazed they have let the Russian staff stay on after so may leaks have come from them alone in the past few years.
very simple... they do not have any Russian staff... unlike Pentax USA, there is no Pentax Russia

PENTAX and Group Companies

and then people who were posting information were not from Russia only

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 09-14-2010 at 05:48 PM.
09-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #27
ogl
Banned

There is no Pentax Russia and never was.
09-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can certainly understand why Ned has stopped posting in the few months leading up to Photokina. Its an important event to Pentax Japan (Hoya and their investment), and if corporate wants no leaks, then not posting is the best solution.

Its very easy to miss something, unintended - and simple, even though it may be good in the end, but then corporate back in Japan has their own idea as to how it should "unwrap". I do admit that I think that it would be fun to see how Ned would orchestrate the unwrapping at least here in the US, but with the internet, a posting in the US, is instantly available everywhere, so it would need to be a whole coordinated effort. Maybe next year, Hoya could be encouraged to let some non traditional approaches be used - and see how sales respond, especially when compared to the competition.

09-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #29
Nubi

Maybe he was promoted to Hoya.
09-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Sorry, but this is just plain silly. . . . . . .
Hey my friend, this thread is beyond "silly" several notches; "Inane" is the word that came to my mind. One wonders if the OP is really "unnerved" or simply wants to stir up the natives.

Jer