Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I too love leicas, i wish i could visit japan as often as he does...it's not only Pentax heaven but Leicas can be had for a much mor reasonable price there

Ned's great for Pentax, not only does he show his admiration for Pentax but also keeps an open mind as a photographer to all good optics even if the brand doesn't fall under Pentax.

09-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I too love leicas, i wish i could visit japan as often as he does...it's not only Pentax heaven but Leicas can be had for a much mor reasonable price there

Ned's great for Pentax, not only does he show his admiration for Pentax but also keeps an open mind as a photographer to all good optics even if the brand doesn't fall under Pentax.
I what way has he benefited Pentax anywhere other than NYC.? J.Sher may have done more to promote Pentax.
09-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Yes I know the LX-3 was above anything Pentax offered but not by that much. It's still a fingernail sensor selling around 500$. It was not a direct competitor but close enough to create a malaise IMHO. And you see, people still talk about it years later...
People still talking about it seriously (having fin is something else) is ridiculous enough.
Pentax NEVER produced a really serious compact digital camera, even the 750z is a joke compared to lx3 (a pity really).
09-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
People still talking about it seriously (having fin is something else) is ridiculous enough.
Pentax NEVER produced a really serious compact digital camera, even the 750z is a joke compared to lx3 (a pity really).
That argument wasn't the basis for the quips and humor following the "Tempest in a Tea Pot" and related blogs. It was the fact the President in charge of U.S. marketing had DA 35mm ltd and other lenses available to him and chose to use a competitors premium compact instead. Another company could have capitalized on it. For example, they could have argued that Leica's 1/1.63 sensor is better than the APS-c ccd & cmos sensors used by Pentax. At the time, and maybe still, the big 2 don't see Pentax as much of a problem in the market.

09-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
Oh,forget one....Ned should be in work with the new Service unit for the 645 in US and maybe he will be at Photokina in Germany.
And he will own all K-5 Bodys,same like a friend in Hamburg.He have all Bodys for the Exibition in his Office......what a badboy.........could send me one by email...........
best regards andy

p.s.:what makes me wonder.....to the k-5,itīs the first time that nobody of the pentax stuff has one new body at home........complete no body of k-5 is in another hand than in the chief of productmanagment.........why?????have a special reason?????
to much sweet things?will hope the best...... need a winkie??
Oh good, you figured out what a winkie is (to me)!

But I just cannot bring myself to write about frownies. Nope. I'll let the toddler twins work on that one ....
09-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And still the name is spelled wrongly in the title.
09-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #67
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
And still the name is spelled wrongly in the title.
The OP would have to request that an administrator or maybe Peter Zack to edit it. You only have a few minutes to edit thread titles.

09-20-2010, 04:56 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Just mailed with Ned. He's doing fine and working hard to get everything ok for Photokina it seems.

Wim
09-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Just mailed with Ned. He's doing fine and working hard to get everything ok for Photokina it seems.

Wim
Good to know. thanks!
09-26-2010, 02:16 AM   #70
Pentaxian

He's (was) in Germany, at the Photokina indeed, as the link below proves:

MPG
09-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #71

is he going to get flak now for using a mobile phone camera? (if that's what he used.)
09-26-2010, 02:44 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Ned is a very good soul and an executive who is also an artist. A rare breed indeed. I have the utmost respect for him. So, if he is on vacation, I am sure it is after a very stressful period during the planning period & pre-launch of his new products. Once everything was loaded, all he had to do was pull the trigger and off he could go for his well deserved time off.
09-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #73
Forum Member

Benjamin, you are right. I hope he takes a K-5 with him on his vacation ;-)
09-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #74
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Ned is a very good soul and an executive who is also an artist. A rare breed indeed. I have the utmost respect for him. So, if he is on vacation, I am sure it is after a very stressful period during the planning period & pre-launch of his new products. Once everything was loaded, all he had to do was pull the trigger and off he could go for his well deserved time off.
With exception of the web presence and the Pentax store in New York, show me this Pentax marketing and presence in the U.S.A of which you speak. I can find the D-Lux-3 and its clones in the stores in the Southern U.S.A., but nothing Pentax. Much of that has to do with the cards dealt him by Tokyo. There's is a big difference in liking the guy and his style. A little critique goes with the territory. Oly is miles ahead in the stores.
09-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
With exception of the web presence and the Pentax store in New York, show me this Pentax marketing and presence in the U.S.A of which you speak.
I agree. It's quite shameful and there is no excuse.
I met Mark Dimalanta at a large store in LA during the advertised "Pentax days".
He was hidden behind the Tamrac bags, and all the lenses I could see were the ones
Mark owns. A great guy BTW. I bought into the system partially thanks to him.
But there was NOTHING available in a store to buy! Mark showed me his own stuff
and then I went online to buy it! What a joke, even he was embarrassed.
Samy's is the biggest store in LA (2nd city in the US) and you can't buy Pentax there.
Ned was sometimes seating in their store here also, but that happened maybe twice
in last 5 years. Ned is a cool guy, but he could as well be drinking pinacolada in Hawaii,
the results and Pentax presence in the US would be the same.
Maybe the Japanese headquarter is here to be blamed, but who cares really?