Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
It's annoying that when people had the chance to ask Ned about better accessories, tethering, manual video they simply forgot *sigh*
Good point. It would be interesting to see if he knows anything about the DA tc prototype and whether or not it is going to ever go into production.

11-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Good point. It would be interesting to see if he knows anything about the DA tc prototype and whether or not it is going to ever go into production.
From my recent chats with Pentax staff, I can tell you that they don't know anything. Three different staff members on two separate occasions told me the same thing: We don't know what happened with the TC and we don't know if it will ever be released.

11-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
We don't know what happened with the TC and we don't know if it will ever be released.
It's really a shame they can't get this out. This is the kind of thing that makes the Pentax system looks really bad from outside.

P.S. for coupon codes, you can share or get them at Coupon codes and discounts for 65,000 online stores! RetailMeNot.com
11-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
From my recent chats with Pentax staff, I can tell you that they don't know anything. Three different staff members on two separate occasions told me the same thing: We don't know what happened with the TC and we don't know if it will ever be released.
I cannot confirm Misere's experience.

At least the higher German executives know exactly what happened to the TC. I asked.

As a matter of fact, Pentax Europe (Hamburg in this case) requested the TC goes in production. Tokyo dismissed the wish. The internal communication between Europe and Japan seems to be such that Tokyo is convinced that the digital age with low pixel pitch sensors doesn't require a TC anymore.

At some time, our dear member zackspeed here even tried to help build up evidence that this isn't the case and that there is high interest for a TC indeed. Europe explained to Tokyo that a digitally zoomed image has not the same image quality than an image from a good prime with good TC.

Everything has been in vain. For Tokyo, a TC is a last century technology. Period.

You can get some rather emotional responses if you ask the right persons at Pentax

The fact that Misere got the answer he got tells me that the Americas didn't even care or din't want to disclose the dispute. Shame on Ned

11-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Well, at least, if not a TC give us a long tele, oh mighty Hoya!
11-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #96
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Maybe the Japanese are right? Just a thought......If you have a 50mm prime, for example, and want to range in 75mm....maybe you should be shooting with the D*50-135 instead. I am betting that at 75mm it will beat most 50mm primes with a TC? Of course, it is a larger lens......but having owned mine for a year or so, the size is nothing compared to the fine IQ it produces.
I guess we can't all be satisfied, and we all have different needs and are at different levels of shooting......I couldn't even qualify to carry the gear for a guy like Falk...so I am fairly easily satisfied with what is available, and do try to understand that others have specific needs I may never have. It would be decent if Pentax were more forthcoming with their customers, I think we could all agree to that?
Best Regards
11-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #97
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I cannot confirm Misere's experience.

At least the higher German executives know exactly what happened to the TC. I asked.

As a matter of fact, Pentax Europe (Hamburg in this case) requested the TC goes in production. Tokyo dismissed the wish. The internal communication between Europe and Japan seems to be such that Tokyo is convinced that the digital age with low pixel pitch sensors doesn't require a TC anymore.

At some time, our dear member zackspeed here even tried to help build up evidence that this isn't the case and that there is high interest for a TC indeed. Europe explained to Tokyo that a digitally zoomed image has not the same image quality than an image from a good prime with good TC.

Everything has been in vain. For Tokyo, a TC is a last century technology. Period.

You can get some rather emotional responses if you ask the right persons at Pentax

The fact that Misere got the answer he got tells me that the Americas didn't even care or din't want to disclose the dispute. Shame on Ned
Do you know IF the K5 will eventually be able to be fully tethered for studio shooting?

11-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #98
Veteran Member

...Tokyo is convinced that the digital age with low pixel pitch sensors doesn't require a TC anymore.
Wow. Can Pentax have moved that far from a photographer/engineer point of view? I don't know how that kind of mindset would have led to the last 3 or 4 camera bodies they released. Maybe there is a struggle between mass-marketing-centric (by that I mean an attitude that says most of our sales are to new or non-serious photographers and we can convince them of this) management and engineering departments.

If so, that might explain why initial K5 promo materials showed highest iso of 26K vs. 51K.
11-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This can be argued but OTOH it shouldn't matter. What matters is if the the TC can bring money or not. Indirectly (some people will dismiss Pentax because of this lack) or not...
11-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #100
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Wow. Can Pentax have moved that far from a photographer/engineer point of view? I don't know how that kind of mindset would have led to the last 3 or 4 camera bodies they released. Maybe there is a struggle between mass-marketing-centric (by that I mean an attitude that says most of our sales are to new or non-serious photographers and we can convince them of this) management and engineering departments.

If so, that might explain why initial K5 promo materials showed highest iso of 26K vs. 51K.

Pentax marketing has always been very poor, and its a shame. I'm sure poor Ned has his hands full as Pentax Japan is in charge and they seem not to have a clue ... look at all the mistakes and ? at the introduction of the K-5 !

Not to have a TC in your line up and not to have tethering is mind blowing !!!! How is it even possible rational thought not to have tethering on a quote, un-quote "semi professional camera", one that has the best APS-C sensor in history (as of today), and is feature laden and has one of the best built bodies of anybody .... I just don't understand !

Yes, I'm a Pentax fan, Yes I'm up to my ears in K20D's and will be purchasing the K-5's when the price lowers a bit (already bought the battery grips and batteries). That being said, I still don't like the fact that a camera of this caliber cannot be tethered as of today. I have heard rumors that upcoming software will allow this and I very,very much hope it is true !

Pentax japan needs to get in touch with what is going on and what the photographers in the street are asking for. No, you can't please everyone but when your asked over and over again by multitudes of people for a product or feature, maybe you should listen.

Yes, they listened to the high ISO and DR request and hit a home run. The listened to AF and its speed complaints and again did a fine job. Now its maybe time to hit tethering and the lens line up a bit, IMHO

So much for my rant ;- )

wll
11-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
We maybe be sleepy but we have the best set of govt. regs in the world....note no banks went out of business here...and little...hardly, we are the second biggest (physical size) country in the world.

Population wise...we are small......but I like it that way...and it looks like many in the world want to live in Canada.
Yes, people do want to live in Canada, and with good reason (if they're weather resistant themselves). Everyone in Tokyo we've spoken to who knows something about the education systems in both countries urges us to raise our boy in Canada. I was pretty surprised but they insist that the focus on creative thinking (in Canada) rather than conformity (in Japan) is the way to go.

But my point is that internationally, no one knows Canada for creating businesses etc. If you want investment, or a trade partner to open channels, or some marketing advice, etc you go to the US not to Canada (or Denmark).
11-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Maybe the Japanese are right?
Rupert, good point.

They are right, to a certain point.

#1 reason for a TC was to be able to compose the image on slide material (film). Last century.

#2 reason is to zoom into an image to obtain more detail. That was a valid point with a *istD. Not anymore with 90% of lenses. Last century.

#3 reason is to boost the resolution limit for the best of primes, even with a 4.7µm pitch sensor which requires lens+TC to resolve 150 lp/mm which is rather hefty. But the best lenses can do this, esp. with digital sharpening aids.

#3 is a valid reason, Tokyo should not ignore. I'm just not sure how well the countries can argue when it comes to technical detail. Them and Tokyo don't normally play in one league.

#3 is decisive at the moment where the Pentax system is restricted to 300mm and would have to grow to 500+ mm to be competitive. A 1.4x TC would help a lot.

IMHO, the TC is a no-brainer (as it is already in prototype stage) and the missing lens really is a fast focussing very sharp 500/5.6 for around $2000 (which should be the expected MSRP applying a diameter-squared price scaling formula and assuming the DA*300/4 is $1400). Screw drive plus ring motor SDM.

I really think such a lens would sell well. I got the impression that Pentax would build and sell such a lens if they can seriously expect to sell more than 500 per year. That's significantly less than 0.5% per K-5 buyer. Come on, let's do a preorder party and make Pentax committ to at least one cool tele lens.

Last edited by falconeye; 11-11-2010 at 12:04 PM.
11-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FWIW, I did ask one of the Pentax reps at the Hunt's photo shop in the Boston area last weekend about the TC. Comment was road maps are not always valid and they don't know why it was dropped.
They really should just add weather sealing to the 1.7x TC and be done with it...make it in another country and import it if lead is an issue...
11-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #104
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This would be a good question to investigate: Would those who are still after a Pentax TC have a change of heart if Pentax did come up with DA 400mm and 500mm primes? There is always the optical formula of the FA* 600/4 to work from...

More reach but still having top IQ - would users be keen to invest in this type of glass?
If Pentax came up with a DA* 250-600, I'm sure people would be impressed, but how many would actually buy it?
11-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #105
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This would be a good question to investigate: Would those who are still after a Pentax TC have a change of heart if Pentax did come up with DA 400mm and 500mm primes? There is always the optical formula of the FA* 600/4 to work from...

More reach but still having top IQ - would users be keen to invest in this type of glass?
If Pentax came up with a DA* 250-600, I'm sure people would be impressed, but how many would actually buy it?
For me, its not the lack of wanting the FA 600/4. Its a matter of ~ $8500 to get it.

On another note, I like how the claim a TC is last Centuries tech. I wonder what century there Marketing is in?