Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #1

Ned Bunnell...

I don't post here often, but I have to say that I regularly check Ned Bunell's blog and I find it unnerving and somewhat careless that his last entry is on his Hawaiian vacation on May 21st. Even though I know he is probably busy, it just conveys the sense that he's perpetually on vacation when Pentax is unveiling its new gear. When the K-7 came out, he posted that pic of it from a distance and it kept everyone talking for days. It seems that all of their viral marketing savvy has been forgotten, or more unnerving, that they just don't think these new cameras are that much to crow about.

Last edited by jess; 09-17-2010 at 11:03 AM.
09-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He is in a luxury position in life, one I will never enjoy. But you know what -- I don't care. It doesn't reflect on Pentax one little bit.

Last edited by rparmar; 09-13-2010 at 04:39 PM.
09-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you should cut him some slack about posting vacation photos, it's a personal blog afterall. If you want to complain about something, how about the outsourcing of repairs, SDM failure rate and the sudden price increases for lenses.
09-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps he finally realized no amount of PR was going to dress up the Pentax products for what they are not. Might as well take it easy.

09-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I expect that after the K-7 leaks, that Hoya has clamped down on ANYONE leaking ANYTHING.

I doubt a conservative Japanese company feels viral marketing is a good thing.

I think, Ned, being a guy who actually likes to take and post photos on his blog, has imposed a period of self sensorship.

He might be shooting with both the K-5, and the K-7, and the chance that he might mistakenly post K-5 photos is too great, so he has chosen to post nothing.

Or he is too busy trying to get a job with Leica.
09-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

A little slack for old uncle Ned......please! We seem to have this idea that his last name is Pentax, and he should be hammering away night and day to put a shine on the product, regardless of the business consequences of giving out too much information....too soon. He is not "Uncle Pentax" and he is not a "good 'ol boy" shooter amongst us...he is an executive businessman first and all that other nonsense second...or third. It all sounds great to think he is just "one of us"......but he isn't! Nothing wrong with this, it is simply business. The CEO of Ford is not going to help me change oil in my Ford........why should he?
Regards
09-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jess Quote
I don't post here often, but I have to say that I regularly check Ned Bunell's blog and I find it unnerving and somewhat careless that his last entry is on his Hawaiian vacation on May 21st. Even though I know he is probably busy, it just conveys the sense that he's perpetually on vacation when Pentax is unveiling its new gear. When the K-7 came out, he posted that pic of it from a distance and it kept everyone talking for days. It seems that all of their viral marketing savvy has been forgotten, or more unnerving, that they just don't think these new cameras are that much to crow about.
You and me both buddy. I personally feel that Pentaxians have a very forgiving relationship with this company and like any personal relationship look past the short comings because the good times are just incredible. Pentaxians are people who root for the underdog and Ned Bunell has been a credible source that has kept my underdog faith going. So I'm hoping once Photokina passes, and all the big announcements have come to light, he'll get back on the regular posts and keep the faithful happy.
09-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Nubi

I thought that Ned worked for Leica. . . . .

09-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
ogl
Pentaxian

Maybe Ned is simply sick
09-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Maybe Ned is simply sick
Did he go work for Nikon???
09-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Ned has been a way from the blog a few months at a time on a couple of other occasions. He would always back post when he came back. Its hard to say what is going on because this is the longest span for him.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Did he go work for Nikon???
He was with Polaroid and Canon before Pentax.

Last edited by Blue; 09-13-2010 at 10:06 PM.
09-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
A little slack for old uncle Ned......please! We seem to have this idea that his last name is Pentax, and he should be hammering away night and day to put a shine on the product, regardless of the business consequences of giving out too much information....too soon. He is not "Uncle Pentax" and he is not a "good 'ol boy" shooter amongst us...he is an executive businessman first and all that other nonsense second...or third. It all sounds great to think he is just "one of us"......but he isn't! Nothing wrong with this, it is simply business. The CEO of Ford is not going to help me change oil in my Ford........why should he?
Regards
I doubt he could find the plug in the oil pan.

09-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jess Quote
I don't post here often, but I have to say that I regularly check Ned Bunell's blog and I find it unnerving and somewhat careless ...
Regarding "careless": His name is NED BUNNELL.
I never met him, but I think he must be a very nice guy.
I don't know what your intention is with this post.
Teasing?
09-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #14
emr

Sorry, but this is just plain silly. He has a personal blog in which he posts whenever and whatever he wishes. And if the blog was used last year in some sort of teaser marketing, there's no reason why it should this year.

Besides, Ned was just seen at the NY store opening this summer...
09-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I think, Ned, being a guy who actually likes to take and post photos on his blog, has imposed a period of self sensorship.
A good pun, even if unintended.