Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #166
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Osaka
Posts: 144
The kit D7000 + 18-105mm has a price (in Belgium): 1.259 euros
Which means almost 600 euros (780 USD) less than K5 kit in Germany. It will be a hard time...

09-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
Currently, Pentax lenses are priced much higher than 2-3 years ago,
The Yen was 25% lower then relative to the $US.

What's really happened is a long, slow erosion of the $US purchasing power.

Don't confuse corporate policy with worldwide currency conditions.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 09-16-2010 at 08:53 AM.
09-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #168
Site Supporter
opiedog's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 787
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Both Imaging Resource and dpreview previewed the K-r on the day of the announcement.
I still don't get your point.
Espen,

my point is, having it in IR and DPr is NOT enough if you're trying to gain market share.

just look at that video from pentax colorado.
Pentax' marketing if it does exist, needs to get their arse's kicked.


waiting for the k5

regards,

jordan
09-16-2010, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #169
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 482
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
Espen,

my point is, having it in IR and DPr is NOT enough if you're trying to gain market share.

just look at that video from pentax colorado.
Pentax' marketing if it does exist, needs to get their arse's kicked.


waiting for the k5

regards,

jordan

It is so simple - just hire an agency and brief them "we want maximum exposure after launch" or hell at least I would distribute some Kr in the prelaunch to some very active Pentax bloggers/forumists and tell them to unleash their opinions/reviews immediately after the announcement. So simple... but obviously too hard for them.

Even D7000 had a pretty pale pr campaign, luckily for them the combination spec/price is freaking awesome coming from such an established and aspirational brand.

09-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #170
Site Supporter
opiedog's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 787
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
It is so simple - just hire an agency and brief them "we want maximum exposure after launch" or hell at least I would distribute some Kr in the prelaunch to some very active Pentax bloggers/forumists and tell them to unleash their opinions/reviews immediately after the announcement. So simple... but obviously too hard for them.

Even D7000 had a pretty pale pr campaign, luckily for them the combination spec/price is freaking awesome coming from such an established and aspirational brand.
EXACTLY!
how difficult is it to have distributed a few Kr's to active Pentax bloggers?

MAXIMUM Exposure! flaunt your features! AA and Lithium ION battery! SR!
what else?
09-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #171
edl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 457
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Nikon put back their aperture coupler on this D7000... So that's a step ahead of Pentax...
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
What exactly does that do?
It allows you to use any Nikkor AI lens or newer on the D7000 and have real metering. Not like Pentax, where you get to hit the green button to "stop down" and guess at an exposure.

Truth is, the Pentax compatability with MF glass is in mount only. Since the meter doesn't work on most MF glass without hitting the green button (A models exempted), you're basically guessing at exposure most of the time anyways in dynamic shooting situations. Yes, the green button method works okay in a static situation, on a tripod, in a studio, etc. But you be in M mode if you're doing that type of work anyways.

And if you want to use M42's, mount them to a Canon 5D. That's the cheapest and most versitile M42 FF digital solution you can get. It will meter just fine in A mode, too.

Yes, Canon and Nikon are missing in-body IS...but if you're shooting anything that moves you better be over 1/60th. You can handhold that without IS - give it a try sometime!

The D7000 is impressive. With 100% viewfinder and AI coupler, I can see myself using this as a lightweight travel body with the 16-85 VR, 70-300 VR, and a few fast MF primes (24/2 and 50/1.2) for night work.

Last edited by edl; 09-16-2010 at 07:31 AM.
09-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #172
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Iowa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,368
QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
It allows you to use any Nikkor AI lens or newer on the D7000 and have real metering. Not like Pentax, where you get to hit the green button to "stop down" and guess at an exposure.

Truth is, the Pentax compatability with MF glass is in mount only. Since the meter doesn't work on most MF glass without hitting the green button (A models exempted), you're basically guessing at exposure most of the time anyways in dynamic shooting situations. Yes, the green button method works okay in a static situation, on a tripod, in a studio, etc. But you be in M mode if you're doing that type of work anyways.

And if you want to use M42's, mount them to a Canon 5D. That's the cheapest and most versitile M42 FF digital solution you can get. It will meter just fine in A mode, too.

Yes, Canon and Nikon are missing in-body IS...but if you're shooting anything that moves you better be over 1/60th. You can handhold that without IS - give it a try sometime!

The D7000 is impressive. With 100% viewfinder and AI coupler, I can see myself using this as a lightweight travel body with the 16-85 VR, 70-300 VR, and a few fast MF primes (24/2 and 50/1.2) for night work.
When I use manual focus (Pentax K and M) lenses on my K-7 they work in AV and the other modes and give me an exposure based on the aperture ring of the lens. Sure it's more convenient to set the aperture in camera with A lenses but it's not the stop down metering like you're describing. Is it different with Takumars?
09-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #173
Veteran Member
alexeyga's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 838
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
When I use manual focus (Pentax K and M) lenses on my K-7 they work in AV and the other modes and give me an exposure based on the aperture ring of the lens. Sure it's more convenient to set the aperture in camera with A lenses but it's not the stop down metering like you're describing. Is it different with Takumars?
That's the thing with all AIS Nikon glass and that little coupling lever... U set the camera into the A-mode and the camera reads the current aperture setting through that lever... Same as Pentax with A-lenses... With K and M lenses you have to either always meter with the green button or use the EV compensation... Fundamentally Nikon's system is more complicated to make, but works much better and there are some true MF jewels there...

09-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #174
Pentaxian
Clicker's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,241
The original kit maybe tempting in price but what happens when you have to start adding more glass? It's fine if you have the means but does it impact the end (images) that much more? I can justify a move up in format but across in the same format....only if i need something that current brand doesn't quite reach.
09-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #175
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 828
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This was posted by myself on another thread but since I keep seeing more and more talk about the D7000 vs. K5, you may be interested with this:

Nikon D7000 and Pentax K5 - Photo.net Pentax Forum

JP
That is a pretty interesting conversation.

Can anyone clarify/confirm the points about how the D7K (and upper end Nikons) work with legacy MF lenses. Is it the case that they meter and function in all modes (just lacking AF of course)? If there's a firmware and/or coupling route around it wft is the point of the green button?

This is a huge selling point for me (and clearly something I'm ignorant of re: Nikons).
09-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #176
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
The original kit maybe tempting in price but what happens when you have to start adding more glass?
You get a Nikon 5 year warranty!
09-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #177
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lachine, Quebec, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 453
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
When I use manual focus (Pentax K and M) lenses on my K-7 they work in AV and the other modes and give me an exposure based on the aperture ring of the lens. Sure it's more convenient to set the aperture in camera with A lenses but it's not the stop down metering like you're describing. Is it different with Takumars?
Really? When you change the aperture setting on the lens aperture ring, the body adjusts the shutter speed? Well, yes, that'll work if you leave the lens WIDE OPEN, but if you stop down, there is (AFIK) no way for the body to know the aperture setting on the lens, since (again, AFIK) ALL digital Pentax bodies have a "crippled" K mount, that leaves out the mechanical coupling used on earlier film bodies to be able to sense the tension on the aperture coupling lever to determine the current lens aperture setting via the aperture ring.

I'm still shooting the heck out of my ol' K100D super. I use the green button (well, AE-L button on this body) and just drop the shutter speed .7 to 1 stop faster (depending on the lens) with my M and K glass, and shoot! Takes all of about 1 second and I'm good to go.

However, to me, the inclusion of the mechanical coupling/sensor on a "pro" Pentax body would seriously make me consider the purchase of a new body, and show a certain commitment to the "pros" shooting with Pentax, since the concept of a professional isn't how much money they spend on gear but the results they get. I have to say (not ship-jumping right now, that's for sure! In-body SR and all the great manual glass that's out there just keeps me having fun with this system), but the fact that Nikon recognized the value of their legacy/vintage glass and it's usability was a huge nod to it's user base, especially those that value image quality over bells and whistles. As well, they threw in the ability to profile lenses mounted that do not have any electronic communication with the body. THAT's a nice touch!

Someday we'll see this on a pentax DSLR?
09-16-2010, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #178
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 828
QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
the inclusion of the mechanical coupling/sensor on a "pro" Pentax body would seriously make me consider the purchase of a new body, and show a certain commitment to the "pros" shooting with Pentax... the fact that Nikon recognized the value of their legacy/vintage glass and it's usability was a huge nod to it's user base
+1
100% agree.
09-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #179
Veteran Member
alexeyga's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 838
QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
+1
100% agree.
Looking at Pentax I'm starting to think that Nikon's policy paid off after all... To this day, all the pro features were reserved for pros and all the old glass for pro-level bodies... But now when the market is soaked with glass of all levels for all budgets, it's time to let the amateurs to play with old glass... Pentax has virtually killed the used market... demand is way higher than supply, so prices are way up and people are wondering... why is that similar in specs CaNikon's glass is much cheaper?
09-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #180
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 211
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Looking at Pentax I'm starting to think that Nikon's policy paid off after all... To this day, all the pro features were reserved for pros and all the old glass for pro-level bodies... But now when the market is soaked with glass of all levels for all budgets, it's time to let the amateurs to play with old glass... Pentax has virtually killed the used market... demand is way higher than supply, so prices are way up and people are wondering... why is that similar in specs CaNikon's glass is much cheaper?
+1 Nikon made a big move. I cannot wait to see what K5 has. If the unveiled specifications were correct, K5 is not better than d7000 in any perspective. Not sure how it reflects on the price.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D7000 pictured deadwolfbones Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 10-18-2010 04:19 AM
What SHOULD the K-r be priced lurchlarson Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 09-09-2010 02:18 PM
Canon's Evil Specs are rumored Samsungian Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 2 01-28-2010 06:37 AM
Rumored SAMSUNG 85mm 1.4 could be a 85mm FA rebrand omega leader Pentax News and Rumors 19 09-07-2009 03:05 PM
Priced to sell CR regken Post Your Photos! 11 12-14-2006 09:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top