QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Sample Images - Nikon D7000 | Nikon

rather good IQ in JPEG IMO

but...CMOS colours of course.
I'd like to see similar samples from K-5 just to see which is better

09-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #227
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by ionutmar Quote
and the sample pictures made by Chase Jarvis are taken with some pro lenses as can be seen in video on his blog.
AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm for the first 2
AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm last one.

Nikon D7000: Camera Road Test With Chase Jarvis | Chase Jarvis Blog

if we user lenses that cost x2+ than the body, the picture may be very good.
55-300 is not a pro lens, it's like $399. at B&H
09-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #228
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by lock2nl Quote
That's oke Thibs. I do see it.
yes, and it will FF when it comes out
09-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #229
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
I hope K5 will either cheaper or outperform D7000.. if the rumored specs are so close together, I don't see how Pentax to gain the mid-level market
look at this way: K-7 smoked the Sony A700 in AF as some have said, so maybe K-5 will smoke the D7000 in AF Performance, and if it does, I will deffinately have a K-5, BUT let's wait and see> no jumping ship till then

09-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #230
music_lover

I'll add something else i read about the d7000, over at nikon forum, several people stated their is more pre-orders for d7000 then demands can meet. This means Pentax better drop their price on k-5 or they are going to be hurting.
Me though, i am kind of partial to Pentax k-5, so i'm sticking around till some tests and reviews are out, only then will i decide to stay or abandon ship.
09-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #231
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by music_lover Quote
It says $1199. not 1350
It's interesting that the price of the D7000 in the USA is $1199, and here in The Netherlands (Europe) it's EUR 1189 at several webshops. I think the K-5 will come in at EUR 1250; no way it's going to cost more than that.

Somehow I think that either Nikon is selling the D7000 at a loss in the USA, or Hoya is penalizing Pentax USA (Golden, CO) for the bad shop presence

Something is just not right with the prices that have been around. The same goes for the camera specs: someone ****ed it up big time.
09-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #232
Veteran Member

It will be interested to see if the D7000 use a low grade AA filter like what was used on the D90. The D300 had much better IQ than the D90 despite an almost identical sensor.
09-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #233
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It's interesting that the price of the D7000 in the USA is $1199, and here in The Netherlands (Europe) it's EUR 1189 at several webshops. I think the K-5 will come in at EUR 1250; no way it's going to cost more than that.

Somehow I think that either Nikon is selling the D7000 at a loss in the USA, or Hoya is penalizing Pentax USA (Golden, CO) for the bad shop presence

Something is just not right with the prices that have been around. The same goes for the camera specs: someone ****ed it up big time.
I doubt Nikon is selling the D7000 at a loss in the states. They are just using a lot of trickle down technology (100% VF, aperture coupler from D300) coupled with tremendous purchasing power to keep their costs low.

Nikon has about 33% of the Japanese market, and the D90 is their best seller. So the D7000 is a very important model for them to drive future revenues.

09-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
Nikon Amateurlenses with seal on the mount are not weatherproof!
They are dustproof in that area,but not the complete tube.
The Prolenses are same weather and dirtproof like Pentax*lenses.
Thanks for the info

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
i wonder if Pentax's marketing had ANY idea of how the D7000 was to be built or priced?
i wonder if Canon's marketing had ANY idea as well?
well, the Canon 60D and Oly E5 has already been criticized before hitting the shelves.

i do hope there really is a surprise from pentax this coming photokina. maybe a revamped lens line w/ SDMII or something like that.
There was one of the older gurus mentioning that the different companies had a remarkably good idea, of what the others were planning to launch.

QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
no nikon d7000 has A magnesium alloy chassis
The D7000 is a plastic camera that has been given a top and rear plates of magnesium, for looks and marketing. It is an upgraded D90 or a downgraded D300, as Klaus from Photozone.de, described it. It does not have the built level of D300 or K5. The K5 is a fully integrated lightweight magnesium alloy body, built over a chassis of high-rigid stainless steel.The D7000 is not doubt a great camera, but people should be cautious in thinking it can be put through the same, as the Pro built D300. It has not been confirmed to have the same full sealing either.

QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
Just curious, what exactly would you be shooting at 50mm, F/1.4, 1/4s, ISO 3200? If it moves, you won't get it. If it doesn't, you should use a tripod and enjoy better DR from a lower ISO setting.
On my K10, I can do people portraits with my 50/1.2 at Iso 1250. Sure some will have movement induced blur, but take a handful of shots and youíll wind up with some good ones.

I don't know why people get this wrong - all AI'd, AI and AIS lenses are the same in the compatability department. It's the pre-AI lenses you have to worry about. Nikon doesn't do the wonky "stop down metering" thing like Pentax. See my post above for a better description of how it works.

So in terms of compatability, there is a greater number of Nikkors on the used market that are "fully compatible" compared to the number of Pentax lenses that are "compatible in mount and green button metering." I'm not including Takumars, because those can be used on virtually anything with a M42 adapter. After all, you have to put a M42-K adapter in your Pentax body to use them.
You had a fine post describing the various Nikon possibilities. As Sean Reid from :
http://www.reidreviews.com writes, Nikon still do not have the compatibility that Pentax can manage.

With non-CPU lenses, I also believe that, as the camera counts the mechanical clicks to the know new aperture setting, the chosen aperture value is rounded to the nearest full stop. Therefore half or third stops will not be displayed or noted.

You write of some of the good Nikkor MF glass:
35/2 - $140
50/1.2 - $375
85/1.4 - $550
105/2.5 - $120
180/2.8 - $250
75-150/3.5 E - $40

I do not consider these prime prices particularly cheap. Goes pretty well in line with Pentax A-series glass.

I found your longer explanations earlier in the thread very good, btw. As you state, there is nothing new regarding Nikon compatibility. The D200 and other cameras can do it as well.

Regarding Eos 5D and M42 lenses, one will have poor metering and sometimes have to shave the camera or lens as well.
With Nikon, I donít think you have metering with older lenses than AI ones.
The D7000 is impressive, but doesnít bring much new that you couldnít get in D200 or used D300. The new thing is that Nikon isnít purposely crippling their cameras any more. I welcome it, as it sounds a great camera. But what would make me consider Nikon, would be the D700, not this D7000.

QuoteOriginally posted by atomiccow Quote
The metal parts aren't screwed onto the plastic parts, the plastic parts are contained inside the metal chassis. Just like a vehicle's engine is contained inside its chassis, not that the chassis is bolted around the engine. The point of a chassis is to receive forces of impact so whats inside it isn't damaged. So long as the chassis is welded shut or bolted together (as in the top plate is mated to the back plate and front plate) the internals are protected from direct impacts and thus them being plastic should not impact its durability significantly. It's not like the K-7 does not use plastics in its internals. The reason it contains metal parts (I theorize) is due to its internal shake reduction mechanism which (I assume) utilizes magnets. Looking at the internal shot:

k7 framework_2.3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You can see that metal is prevalently used only on the panel which houses the sensor/SR mechanism. Plastic is used in the mirror box, battery housing, and pentaprism mount. In this case it is clear that the metal components are not used to add strength the the chassis. Additionally the K-7 does not have a full magnesium alloy outer shell. It has a plastic external back plate where the LCD and rear controls are placed as is common in camera's of advanced amateur/pro level bodies such as the 50D and a700. I own a K-7 and tapping on the back panel you can clearly tell it is not metal. The Nikon D7000 has a magnesium alloy back plate so in this regard, bests the K-7:

http://press.nikonusa.com/gallery/nikon/Digital_SLR/2010/D7000/images/print/...B_Mgbody_2.jpg

As well your argument of metal quality is pointless as no manufacturer has ever revealed the purity level of their metals or shown measurements on the strength of their metals. In fact, I can bet you that the magnesium alloy used in the Canon 1D series is of the same manufacturer, manufacturing process, and material as the Canon 50D. You do not know the quality of metal used by Pentax either.

I'm no Nikon fanboy but please to not be so adamant in defending the K-7 that you raise it to a level of camera that it is not.
There is no mag alloy front plate in the D7000. Only top and rear ones, not fully integrated. Therefore more pressure points.

The *Ist series also had metal subframe, so it has nothing to do with the Shake Reduction. (I do not know, if some places plastic is preferred, as it behaves different in cold temperature than metal).

I have no doubt that the D7000 is a great camera, but the sheet metal plates put together, does not add up to the D300 built level. Which is what the K5 is comparable to.

If the built quality is good, I do not mind strong polycarbamid plastic. It absorbs impact better than metal. For me the K7 was therefore more feel quality, than necessarily protection comfort.
Where the subframe takes over; Pentax hasnít made dual metal construction of both steel and magnesium. If it is to avoid too much weight penalty, or have direct connection from the back to all the electronics, or have the absorbing effects of plastic; I do not know.Iíve heard of people that destroyed their Eos 5D Mark II, due to contact with water. So people should be cautious thinking that mag alloy plates in the D7000 elevates it to D300 level of built and sealing. Iím impressed by the D7000, but Nikon do not slash the price of a D300 level cam in half, without cutting corners. From what is out so far, the D7000 built does not seem comparable with E5, D300 and K5.
09-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #235
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Lowest price for K-5 body only in Norway so far is NOK 9990 - if you subtract the 25% VAT, that's only EUR 1010 / USD 1340 !
09-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #236
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote

You had a fine post describing the various Nikon possibilities. As Sean Reid from :
http://www.reidreviews.com writes, Nikon still do not have the compatibility that Pentax can manage.

With non-CPU lenses, I also believe that, as the camera counts the mechanical clicks to the know new aperture setting, the chosen aperture value is rounded to the nearest full stop. Therefore half or third stops will not be displayed or noted.
Incorrect, it will show partial stops. I just looked in Adobe Bridge, I have shots on my 50/1.2 at 1.4, for example.

QuoteQuote:

You write of some of the good Nikkor MF glass:
35/2 - $140
50/1.2 - $375
85/1.4 - $550
105/2.5 - $120
180/2.8 - $250
75-150/3.5 E - $40

I do not consider these prime prices particularly cheap. Goes pretty well in line with Pentax A-series glass.
If Nikkor prices are in line with A-series glass, that's cheap. Especially when you consider that there are many more Nikkors floating around, so any of the lenses I listed above can be easily found and purchased on Ebay. I always had a very challenging time finding Pentax-A glass when I was shooting Pentax.

When using non-A glass, I truly don't care for Pentax's "green button stop down" metering method. It's a half-hearted attempt to provide full functionality.

QuoteQuote:

I found your longer explanations earlier in the thread very good, btw. As you state, there is nothing new regarding Nikon compatibility. The D200 and other cameras can do it as well.

Regarding Eos 5D and M42 lenses, one will have poor metering and sometimes have to shave the camera or lens as well.
With Nikon, I donít think you have metering with older lenses than AI ones.
The D7000 is impressive, but doesnít bring much new that you couldnít get in D200 or used D300. The new thing is that Nikon isnít purposely crippling their cameras any more. I welcome it, as it sounds a great camera. But what would make me consider Nikon, would be the D700, not this D7000.
I agree with your points. I also would point out from experience that MF lenses are best used on "full frame" cameras like the D700 - I don't care to use them on crop cameras, the VF is too small.
09-24-2010, 05:28 AM   #237
Loyal Site Supporter

Just curious, what exactly would you be shooting at 50mm, F/1.4, 1/4s, ISO 3200? If it moves, you won't get it. If it doesn't, you should use a tripod and enjoy better DR from a lower ISO setting.
I've never understood this attitude. If I don't bring a tripod I don't deserve to take photos? My camera is quite big enough without a tripod, and the more shots I can get without one the better.
09-24-2010, 05:42 AM   #238
Veteran Member

Incorrect, it will show partial stops. I just looked in Adobe Bridge, I have shots on my 50/1.2 at 1.4, for example.
f/1.4 is also a full stop.

The f/1.2 would be the half stop :
F Stop Table

But as long as it meters out okay, then it doesn't matter all that much.

I agree with your points. I also would point out from experience that MF lenses are best used on "full frame" cameras like the D700 - I don't care to use them on crop cameras, the VF is too small.
Thanks for your info. That just increased my desire to get FF at some point
09-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #239
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
There is no mag alloy front plate in the D7000. Only top and rear ones, not fully integrated. Therefore more pressure points.

The *Ist series also had metal subframe, so it has nothing to do with the Shake Reduction. (I do not know, if some places plastic is preferred, as it behaves different in cold temperature than metal).

I have no doubt that the D7000 is a great camera, but the sheet metal plates put together, does not add up to the D300 built level. Which is what the K5 is comparable to.

If the built quality is good, I do not mind strong polycarbamid plastic. It absorbs impact better than metal. For me the K7 was therefore more feel quality, than necessarily protection comfort.
Where the subframe takes over; Pentax hasnít made dual metal construction of both steel and magnesium. If it is to avoid too much weight penalty, or have direct connection from the back to all the electronics, or have the absorbing effects of plastic; I do not know.Iíve heard of people that destroyed their Eos 5D Mark II, due to contact with water. So people should be cautious thinking that mag alloy plates in the D7000 elevates it to D300 level of built and sealing. Iím impressed by the D7000, but Nikon do not slash the price of a D300 level cam in half, without cutting corners. From what is out so far, the D7000 built does not seem comparable with E5, D300 and K5.
Ohh so when polycarbonate is used on a Pentax camera. It's because it's a well thought out engineering decision but when its used on a Nikon its because its used to cut cost right? Obviously none of the material advantages of plastics used by Pentax carry over for plastics used by Nikon.
09-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #240
Site Supporter

Original Poster
so what is the sub-frame of the d7000? is it metal or plastic?
from the photos, it looks like plastic.

no doubt, d7000 is a nice cam, but what is the sub-frame regardless?