Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #46
Veteran Member

ok,than will be the bodyprice in us approx. 1400$ max 1500$ i think.

09-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #47
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
I am assuming (Nikon)

4-digits, entry DX
3-digits, advanced DX
2-digits, entry FX

1-digit, advanced FX

So after D700 comes (not D80 for sure), maybe D10?

More difficult to figure out Pentax, but maybe as simple as, letter=entry, digit=advanced. And they could still use L for professional :-)
This is incorrect, as the D90 is DX (APS-C), and the D700 is an FX (full frame) body.
09-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
this D7000 is announced 1199usd vs 1699usd for the K5 for very similar specs

either one or boths rumors are wrong
either more people will switch to nikon
or pentax will reduce significantly the K5 price

i wonder if Pentax's marketing had ANY idea of how the D7000 was to be built or priced?
i wonder if Canon's marketing had ANY idea as well?
well, the Canon 60D and Oly E5 has already been criticized before hitting the shelves.

i do hope there really is a surprise from pentax this coming photokina. maybe a revamped lens line w/ SDMII or something like that.
09-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
This is incorrect, as the D90 is DX (APS-C), and the D700 is an FX (full frame) body.
Exactly...you could assume the following...D90 = advanced-entry DX, D300 = semi-pro DX, D1 = pro DX, D700 = semi-pro FX, D3 = pro FX...

...essentially, D# = pro, D## = advanced-entry, D### = semi-pro, D#### = entry; the difference between DX and FX is not shown in the designations, only on the "FX" or "DX" badges on the cameras...but then you look at the D40/D40x, and D60 and say "wait those are entry level" and they have no screw drive, so you can only shoot AF-S or AF-I style lenses WITH autofocus...so essentially, Nikon doesn't follow ANY rules in naming...its up to you to be educated on what is what...lol...

D7000 = EPIC WIN if it includes a meter coupling ring for Ai-S lenses, IMO...but it won't, so who are we kidding...I can't see a coupling ring in the gaps in the top-view image leaked, so Nikon users still have to go semi-pro to use the ol' Ai-S gear...that's lame...

09-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #50
Inactive Account

Original Poster
so essentially there will be an in-body focus motor but older AiS lenses (are these the non-cpu types?) will not meter?

why is that lame?
sorry, i know nothing about nikon lenses except i have a film 28-200 for my n6006, n65 from about 10 years ago. i would assume this is not even AiS?
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
i wonder if Pentax's marketing had ANY idea of how the D7000 was to be built or priced?
i wonder if Canon's marketing had ANY idea as well?
well, the Canon 60D and Oly E5 has already been criticized before hitting the shelves.

i do hope there really is a surprise from pentax this coming photokina. maybe a revamped lens line w/ SDMII or something like that.
I think specs are far from similar but that depends on individual needs. I for an instance really need IS/SR. Do both Canon or Nikon provide it in-body? NO! I bet K-5 will be same body as K-7 (magnesium alloy weather sealed). 60D is plastic, D7000 is ??? OVF of K-7 (I expect K-5 to be better or at least the same) is 100% coverage while 60D is 96%. etc, etc, etc.

All above, at least for me is worth more than $500.

Full manual movie mode is great! That's the reason I went Pentax from Olympus hoping they would fix it by firmware in K-7 which I think is great camera. They didn't, but I think they will as soon as they sell enough K-5s (same story: Canon 7d and 5d MK II).

I understand Canon users moaning about 60D. They are the moaning crowd

Oly users at E-System flickr group (best 4/3 users forum I'm aware of) are rather pleased by the proper "warm up" of already excellent E-3.

In the end you have to know what you need and want to pay for. I think Pentax does it it's own way and does it right. It's all about good glass. Pentax and Oly rule in this matter.
09-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Copyright Quote
I was going to make a thread on this, but it looks like this may be the most appropriate place.

I currently own an *ist DL with an 18-55 kit lens, a cheap FA 80-200 lens, and an FA50/1.4. A month ago, I went to the local store to pick up a K-x kit, but at the time they were out of stock. So before I ordered one online, I read up on the rumors section of this site and decided to wait until the new bodies were released.

The K-r looked really good, but considering this appears to be just a refined version of the K-x, the price seems much higher than it should be (especially considering the comparable offerings form Canikon are $150 LESS).

So I figured I'd wait to see the specs on the K-5. As it turns out, the specs are really, really good, and are exactly what I was looking for. The problem is the fact that the price is in the $1700 range.

Then I read up on the D7000. It has almost identical specs (rumored) to the K-5, but it costs significantly less.

So my only issue is that I have a few dollars tied up in Pentax lenses. Not a big deal though, since I had planned on selling the *ist DL, kit lens and 80-200 lens to finance the new body. So really, the only lens that I have tied up is the FA50/1.4.

Since I bought the lens new a month ago (unfortunately the return period is only 14 days), and the price of this lens appears to be maintaining its ridiculous $450 price, I have no doubt that I'll be able to sell it for $350 (look at the eBay listings). That will enable me to purchase the Nikon 50mm equivalent (which happens to be less than the Pentax) without losing any money.

The only possible issue I see with the D7000 is that there is no built-in shake reduction. However, I only plan on using a few lenses, so I don't mind paying a little extra for a VR series lens. And from what I understand, the VR offers an extra stop or two as opposed to the in-camera SR on the Pentax.

If you have a fortune invested in Pentax lenses, I can see someone going with the K-5. But for those in my situation, it looks like Nikon is the way to go.
Sounds very reasonable. One thing though, all the prices you have seen are either MSRP (manufacturer suggested retail prices) or rumor. Prices will the different when these cameras actually hit the stores, so you may want to wait a little while with comparing prices. The K-r, for example, will almost certainly drop to a price more comparable to its competition.

09-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Sounds very reasonable. One thing though, all the prices you have seen are either MSRP (manufacturer suggested retail prices) or rumor. Prices will the different when these cameras actually hit the stores, so you may want to wait a little while with comparing prices. The K-r, for example, will almost certainly drop to a price more comparable to its competition.
Agreed.

However, I believe the other manufacturer's will do the same, thereby maintaining the same price differential.

Don't get me wrong, though. If the K-5 is very closely priced to the D7000, I may just stay with Pentax.
09-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
looks like the 39pt AF and mag alloy is true
now to see if it has lens AF adjust and WR
more images at Nikon Rumors | where there?s smoke there?s fire
Wow. That's a nice camera. It's not as nice looking as the K-7/K-5, but I might be able to live with that.

I'm not planning to switch, but it's nice to see another company making something I'd be satisfied with switching to if it does come to that in a couple of years.
09-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #55
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I'm waiting on the specs and price of the D7000 and K5. My interest in the D7000 is due to the desire for the Tokina 11-16mm lens and the broad range of available long lenses.

and isn't already tomorrow in Japan???
Yes Tokina makes a very good lens as i had a Tokina 12-24 that I had when I had my D90, but got rid of both when I sold the D90, and couldn't use that particular lens on my now then and now current D40 which would only Manual Focus if I had kept it. I only use Manual Focus when I need to and have nothing against it when it needs to be used for tricky to focus stuff, because that is the way my Canon AE-1 was, manual Focusing only, so I learned to appreciate it when it is needed
09-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by MarcinZ Quote
I think specs are far from similar but that depends on individual needs. I for an instance really need IS/SR. Do both Canon or Nikon provide it in-body? NO! I bet K-5 will be same body as K-7 (magnesium alloy weather sealed). 60D is plastic, D7000 is ??? OVF of K-7 (I expect K-5 to be better or at least the same) is 100% coverage while 60D is 96%. etc, etc, etc.

All above, at least for me is worth more than $500.
thats a pretty specific need, SR is great and of course really usefull in some situations that are few percents of most pics I can see on this forum for example (one can also increase the iso to compensate but, well, you know) and I'm not sure this justify a 500USD cost for most users, for sure not for me, but as some people here, I'll have to put my few pentax lenses in the balance.

Full manual movie mode is great! That's the reason I went Pentax from Olympus hoping they would fix it by firmware in K-7 which I think is great camera. They didn't, but I think they will as soon as they sell enough K-5s (same story: Canon 7d and 5d MK II).
well, I'm not a video guy but I similarly expected teh tethered shooting... and I still do, although they sold a big bunch of K10D and successors

I understand Canon users moaning about 60D. They are the moaning crowd
yep they are.
I dont consider this as a good news for photographers (equipment brand is secondary isnt it)

In the end you have to know what you need and want to pay for.
thats exactly the point...
09-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #57
music_lover

oh, and the one thing I ABSOLUTELY LOVED about the Tokina is the one thing EVERY lens MFR needs to look at is the AF/MF Zoom Slide.
From Camera perspective , push the Zoom away from you you get Manual Focusing, pull it back it goes into Auto Focus. It is the Most ingenious thing I have ever seen
09-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #58
Veteran Member

if the nikon is WR(whatever level) and has AF adjust, i think it will go neck-and-neck with the K5.
and at more like $200 below the k5 (k5 is rumored to be $1400 at start US dollars) that will be tough to compete with.
If K-5 has a couple of features more than D7000, and is priced 200 less, it still can not compete. Do you know how many D90, D80,... owners will upgrade? And will advice it to their friends mentioning how much better that the D90, D80... it is? If Pentax can take a few new customers and keep the current Pentaxians it has done well (I guess it's not possible) with the higher price. The point is not how much better K-5 might be, it's still a Pentax with all those limited recognition.
09-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by music_lover Quote
push the Zoom away from you you get Manual Focusing, pull it back it goes into Auto Focus. It is the Most ingenious thing I have ever seen
How is that better than: turn it for MF, leave it for AF (as in Pentax quickshift)?
09-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AngryCorgi Quote
I wouldn't bet on AF micro-adjust...but the WR is likely true...remember, there are varying degrees of WR...without independent testing, there is nothing to say which WR is more effective (or equally effective) than any other...even the Canon 60D has some WR, but not as much as 7D/5D/1D...I'm leary of the dual SD rumor...sounds unecessary...oh, and the price is rumored to be $500 less than the K-5, not $200 less as someone mentioned in this article...biggest plus on the D7000 over the D90 = 100% VF, 1080/24P and video AF-F...
My guess: WR & Screw drive, but no micro adjust . Seems Nikon is pushing D7000 higher than what D90 was (the best thing they have done is removing, or at least hiding those stupid scenes), so they keep the screw driver for sure...