Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #136

Photos: Gallery
http://photography.bhinsights.com/content/new-nikon-d7000-simply-amazing.html
Nikon D7000: Camera Road Test With Chase Jarvis | Chase Jarvis Blog

09-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #137
Banned

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1 in Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0 Inch LCD (Body Only): Camera & Photo

09-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Strange faith...Maybe wait a little
ogl, are you hinting that the K5 is not a competitor to this camera but is in fact the full-frame model everyone's been bleating about?

If so, I expect an awful lot of PF forum-goers to pony up.
09-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
ogl, are you hinting that the K5 is not a competitor to this camera but is in fact the full-frame model everyone's been bleating about?
I'm not sure how you came to that assumption from talking of comparing supposed prices between the two cameras.

09-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #140
Veteran Member

The more I think about it, the more real meter coupling with manual lenses grows on me. I prefer manual focus primes. My Pentax body has had me putting up with four years of a thumb button work, effectively doubling the diaphragm activations, slowing down the photographic process, causing missed shots, etc. Hmm.

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I'm not sure how you came to that assumption from talking of comparing supposed prices between the two cameras.
It was his reference to what I took to be a lack of faith in Hoya. Like he knows something more about what Hoya will unveil in the K5.
09-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #141
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
If the d7000 is $1200 usd then the K-5 will have to be that much or less. Despite being a little better over all. Just due to the brands perceived value. Unless pentax are planing on changing that.
Agreed. Pentax has to not only match the Nikon's price, but beat it. Additionally, it seems that 2 years after I purchased my K10D Pentax has still not grasped the concept that most people are going to walk into a BestBuy, Wal-Mart, etc. and make their purchase decision based on whatever cameras are on display there.

It continues to amaze me how they produce products and don't even provide a means for the multitude of people to try them out. Most people are not comfortable just buying a camera off of Amazon without having held it in person, first... especially when the competition has paper specs which seem similar and for the same, or a better price.

Last edited by TiminyCricket; 09-15-2010 at 08:22 PM.
09-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #142
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
The ironic thing is that a lot of the features people seem to be excited for about the D7000 were already available on the K-7 and will be so on the K-5...
True, but I think people are enticed by some of the certain durability/price qualities inherent to the K10/K20/K7, but with good autofocus and iso performance added into the mix. I was at an air show last month trying to shoot the jets with my K10D. Needless to say... the autofocus sucked, to say the least. Even when I left it on center-point and tried to keep the jets center-frame I still had a hard time. I've never tried a K7 (since none of the stores around here even have Pentax cameras to try in the first place), so I can't speak for how much of an improvement there was between the K10 and the K7. But the reviews I've read have largely chastised K7 AF performance and high ISO performance, which is why I not only skipped the K20, but the K7, as well.

Last edited by TiminyCricket; 09-15-2010 at 08:20 PM.
09-15-2010, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #143
Veteran Member

My fear is the D7000 is part of a move to knock out Pentax. Will I purchase a K5? Maybe. Will I switch to Nikon, probably not. My collection of K Mount glass says that I will have a hard time switching; it's too much trouble.

Will I be forced to switch because Pentax was forced out of business due to losing too much market share? That's what I'm afraid of. If the D7000 and it's successor is competing with the K5 and it's eventual successor, and the Nikon bodies are cheaper, then why would anyone want to buy into Pentax? What if Canon gets into this strategy as well?

I love my Pentax lenses. Although I had originally intended to skip the K7 for it's successor, I really like it too. All my Pentax bodies produce images that are just as good as contemporary Nikon and Canon bodies. It is my great fear that Nikon and eventually Canon will decide to "off" Pentax in a bid to eliminate future competition, especially since the 645D may steal the wedding photography market from them.

I'm not going to worry about it too much. Even if Pentax does get knocked out, I will use my Pentax bodies, and the lenses more importantly, for as long as the repair shops can still get parts...

EDIT: I'm tired of speculation. I'm going to the Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks to take some nice images (hopefully), and my Pentax equipment will be with me...

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 09-15-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Did not want to double post
09-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TiminyCricket Quote
It continues to amaze me how they produce products and don't even provide a means for the multitude of people to try them out.
I fully see your point but I also understand that it is a business decision of whether or not the expenses related to having products in shops is worth the added sales. Isn't it a fact that 95% of all shop owners will push a Canikon onto people, even if a Pentax model would have been the better choice for a particular customer? I've witnessed shop owners lie about product features in order to push brands. Whether there are higher margins with other brands or they are betting on more margins with later lens sales, I don't know but I've seen it happen many times. If there is no sales person to interact with, the vast majority will grab a camera their friends have or for which they have seen an advert. Not working in favour of Pentax. There is a subset of people who will do their research and come to the conclusion that Pentax is their best choice but will then typically order online. A few will be lost as customers because they won't buy online without having had a chance to play with the camera first, but I guess it isn't worth building up a shop presence for these.

QuoteOriginally posted by TiminyCricket Quote
I've never tried a K7 (since none of the stores around here even have Pentax cameras to try in the first place), so I can't speak for how much of an improvement there was between the K10 and the K7.
To the best of my knowledge, there is a huge difference. Always take reports on "slow AF" with a grain of salt. Relative to your K10D, the K-7 will be considerably faster.
09-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #145

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
My fear is the D7000 is part of a move to knock out Pentax. Will I purchase a K5? Maybe. Will I switch to Nikon, probably not. My collection of K Mount glass says that I will have a hard time switching; it's too much trouble.

Will I be forced to switch because Pentax was forced out of business due to losing too much market share? That's what I'm afraid of. If the D7000 and it's successor is competing with the K5 and it's eventual successor, and the Nikon bodies are cheaper, then why would anyone want to buy into Pentax? What if Canon gets into this strategy as well?

I love my Pentax lenses. Although I had originally intended to skip the K7 for it's successor, I really like it too. All my Pentax bodies produce images that are just as good as contemporary Nikon and Canon bodies. It is my great fear that Nikon and eventually Canon will decide to "off" Pentax in a bid to eliminate future competition, especially since the 645D may steal the wedding photography market from them.

I'm not going to worry about it too much. Even if Pentax does get knocked out, I will use my Pentax bodies, and the lenses more importantly, for as long as the repair shops can still get parts...

EDIT: I'm tired of speculation. I'm going to the Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks to take some nice images (hopefully), and my Pentax equipment will be with me...
Yes, this is very frightening
09-16-2010, 12:27 AM   #146
Veteran Member

Whoa! They really hit the nail in the head with this one.

Problem for Pentax will be the shooters that have up to USD 1000 investment in lenses and skipped upgrading to K7 - IMO 95% of these users will jump ship because the D7000 has covered 2 out of 3 main pentax differentiators - full backward compatibility and weather sealing, the 3rd (SR) could be largely offset by high iso capabilities. Regarding the size, yes, K7/5 is smaller but not to an amount to be a deal breaker.

Those customers will try to sell their lenses and wait for D7000 to come a little down after this frenzy.

This is highly speculative but it is an educated guess based on my marketing exp.

I bet Hoya will have some heavy meetings in the following weeks. Anyway, for us, the customers, fierce competition is good
09-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
Whoa! They really hit the nail in the head with this one.

Problem for Pentax will be the shooters that have up to USD 1000 investment in lenses and skipped upgrading to K7 - IMO 95% of these users will jump ship because the D7000 has covered 2 out of 3 main pentax differentiators - full backward compatibility and weather sealing, the 3rd (SR) could be largely offset by high iso capabilities. Regarding the size, yes, K7/5 is smaller but not to an amount to be a deal breaker.

Those customers will try to sell their lenses and wait for D7000 to come a little down after this frenzy.

This is highly speculative but it is an educated guess based on my marketing exp.

I bet Hoya will have some heavy meetings in the following weeks. Anyway, for us, the customers, fierce competition is good
Where did you see that the D7000 is weather sealed ? It is partially sealed, nothing like D300s or K7. Same for full backward compatibility, Nikon has not a full backward compatbility for any of theiir camera. If you pick up an old lens you have to get through a painfull chart to know weither or not you can put this lens on your camera and what will be the limitations. Worst limitations for Pentax DSLRs is metering for the oldest ones (and the green button is a great work around)
09-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote

95% will jump ship?
Don't be silly.
09-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
95% will jump ship?
Don't be silly.
+1

95%? That's ridiculous! :ugh:
09-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #150
Pentaxian

What reason is there to jump ship if the K-5 is every bit as good (but most definitely better in most aspects) as the new Nikon? I would gladly pay a bit more for the Pentax, which will be more in line with my style of shooting and the handling I desire.

Sure, the D7000 will outsell the K-5, but that was to be expected, no? No matter what Pentax makes, it will always sell in less quantities.