Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
That wasn't about the D7000 at all.
I think it was, filmed with a D7000. Wasn't it?

I liked the professional approach, liked the copter rig too And stills still look better, towards the end of the clip

BTW
Why is it that some embedded YouTube clips play on the iPad while others show a broken movie icon and aren't clickable? Problem with PF's embedding script? Anyway, when they play, they are really great to watch on the iPad.

09-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #212
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
BTW
Why is it that some embedded YouTube clips play on the iPad while others show a broken movie icon and aren't clickable? Problem with PF's embedding script? Anyway, when they play, they are really great to watch on the iPad.
The iPad can only play YouTube videos that are encoded with H.264. Older videos that are encoded as flv won't play.
09-19-2010, 01:10 AM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The iPad can only play YouTube videos that are encoded with H.264. Older videos that are encoded as flv won't play.
Ah, that may explain it, thanks.
I thought that youtube was converting all content but maybe that's not the case or maybe it is still in progress.
09-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #214
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
Exactly! That's why Pentax should survive not go under like Minolta, Contax, Yashica...
Not go under like Minolta? Minolta = Sony, Pentax = Hoya.

09-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think it was, filmed with a D7000. Wasn't it?
Ah, maybe.
I expected some user report about the D7000 or something similar about the camera.

Loved the copter rig too and the shot from the copter was very cool.
09-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #216
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikon can also price the camera less because they know more will be sold as well as more people will buy more lenses and accessories for this camera.

Economies of scale.
09-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Not go under like Minolta? Minolta = Sony, Pentax = Hoya.
Minolta->Konica-Minolta->Sony.
Pentax->Pentax of Hoya

09-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #218
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Why shouldn't it be priced higher than the D7000? We don't know the features of the K-5 yet but the D7000 is a plastic camera with two magnesium body panels whereas the K-5 is a magnesium body with steel chassis. K-5 must be compared with the D700 in built quality.

no nikon d7000 has A magnesium alloy chassis
09-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #219
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote

And you expect 95 % to change brand, I think you need to take a deep breath and have a sip of water. With my fast fifty, I can shoot at ¼ of a second. Nikon still do not have any VR primes in the normal segment. With such a high MP sensor, IQ tops out at 3200-6400.
Just curious, what exactly would you be shooting at 50mm, F/1.4, 1/4s, ISO 3200? If it moves, you won't get it. If it doesn't, you should use a tripod and enjoy better DR from a lower ISO setting.

QuoteQuote:
The Nikon compatibility doesn’t go as far back as Pentax. Older lenses might need to be modified.

It could be that the D7000 functions perfectly with AI-S lenses, but has stop down metering with AI or AI'd.
We’ll know more, when the full reviews come up.
I don't know why people get this wrong - all AI'd, AI and AIS lenses are the same in the compatability department. It's the pre-AI lenses you have to worry about. Nikon doesn't do the wonky "stop down metering" thing like Pentax. See my post above for a better description of how it works.

So in terms of compatability, there is a greater number of Nikkors on the used market that are "fully compatible" compared to the number of Pentax lenses that are "compatible in mount and green button metering." I'm not including Takumars, because those can be used on virtually anything with a M42 adapter. After all, you have to put a M42-K adapter in your Pentax body to use them.
09-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eigelb Quote
no nikon d7000 has A magnesium alloy chassis
nope....plastic chassis,plastic parts complete internal.the metalparts are only screwed in the plasticchassis.no internal metalsystem.and nobody is knowing about the metalquality.
maybe so durable like d300 and k-7 ore lower like the eos 50 style.
09-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #221
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
nope....plastic chassis,plastic parts complete internal.the metalparts are only screwed in the plasticchassis.no internal metalsystem.and nobody is knowing about the metalquality.
maybe so durable like d300 and k-7 ore lower like the eos 50 style.
The metal parts aren't screwed onto the plastic parts, the plastic parts are contained inside the metal chassis. Just like a vehicle's engine is contained inside its chassis, not that the chassis is bolted around the engine. The point of a chassis is to receive forces of impact so whats inside it isn't damaged. So long as the chassis is welded shut or bolted together (as in the top plate is mated to the back plate and front plate) the internals are protected from direct impacts and thus them being plastic should not impact its durability significantly. It's not like the K-7 does not use plastics in its internals. The reason it contains metal parts (I theorize) is due to its internal shake reduction mechanism which (I assume) utilizes magnets. Looking at the internal shot:

k7 framework_2.3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You can see that metal is prevalently used only on the panel which houses the sensor/SR mechanism. Plastic is used in the mirror box, battery housing, and pentaprism mount. In this case it is clear that the metal components are not used to add strength the the chassis. Additionally the K-7 does not have a full magnesium alloy outer shell. It has a plastic external back plate where the LCD and rear controls are placed as is common in camera's of advanced amateur/pro level bodies such as the 50D and a700. I own a K-7 and tapping on the back panel you can clearly tell it is not metal. The Nikon D7000 has a magnesium alloy back plate so in this regard, bests the K-7:

http://press.nikonusa.com/gallery/nikon/Digital_SLR/2010/D7000/images/print/...B_Mgbody_2.jpg

As well your argument of metal quality is pointless as no manufacturer has ever revealed the purity level of their metals or shown measurements on the strength of their metals. In fact, I can bet you that the magnesium alloy used in the Canon 1D series is of the same manufacturer, manufacturing process, and material as the Canon 50D. You do not know the quality of metal used by Pentax either.

I'm no Nikon fanboy but please to not be so adamant in defending the K-7 that you raise it to a level of camera that it is not.
09-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #222
Veteran Member

let's stop this discussion, new topic on the horizon: Why Pentax did not develop something like Fuji X100
09-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #223
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
This D7000 looks like a copy cat of the K-7/K-5: 100% VF, WR, Mag alloy body. That's bad for Pentax and nobody did see it coming because these features were usually reserved for the D200/D300 class of camera. That's also why I was never really interested in the D90.

On the positive side, Pentax will have the same sensor (apparently) thus very similar high ISO. But the K-5 will have in body IS giving it an advantage on many lenses, especially the fast primes.

On the negative side I'm pessimistic about the AF performance. Nikon has nothing to prove while Pentax has still a lot to prove.

The D3100 and D7000 are coming head to head with the K-r and K-5 and it will be difficult for Pentax to show any strong advantage over them. Moreover it seems that Pentax will be more expensive.
i disagree with your assessment of K-r vs 3100. Pentax does have an advantage over Nikon, in that K-r has AF motor Nikon Doesn't!
If it were me comparing the 2, I would get the Pentax, it's faster focusing also over the Nikon.
09-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #224
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
What about video?
Anyone know what's floating around for that on the D7000?
If all the rumors hold true I will admit that this offer is veeerry tempting.
But I honestly don't know if I'd want to trade SR for ISO with some of my favorite glass though. Very hard to imagine that tbh.

Here is the first official announcement btw.

... added later....

Nikon | ???? | ???????????????????? D7000????

D7000 from Nikon

Minor differences(so far):

• 6 FPS
  • No in body SR
  • Video quality?
  • No weather sealing?
This camera will definitely encroach on K-5 territory.
correction...it does have weather sealing like the d300s
09-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #225
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
No, its actually 1350 Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0 Inch LCD (Body Only): Electronics

Its already discounted 150US

Also note the D90 was released at
999 October 2008.
899 September 2010

Pentax released K-7 at
$1150 October 2009
899ish September 2010

You guys tell me where the K-5 price will be when you decide to upgrade your gear.

the moment they are within 50-100 US close to each other, I think the price issue will disappear.
It says $1199. not 1350