Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
If they do develop an AF mount and price the AF versions even $300 above the MF equivalents, they'll still sell a boatload to Pentax and Sony shooters.

If they could make a version for Canon with AF they would sell a ton. There are lots of people shooting the 85/1.4 Samyang and quite a bit of excitement around the 35/1.4 though some are disappointed as the early rumors suggested it would be a 35/1.2 in Canon mount (since the mount is wide enough to support it).

09-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
That's right, the MX had it too. Also the KX and the K2 (and e.g. some of the good old Minoltas).
But third parties lenses with weird aperture markings do not always work correctly with those.
All pentax with aperture rings work though, even FA lenses.
Most Tamrom K adapters do have the second row markings although markings are approximations (because of the very nature of Tamron adaptall2 lenses).
09-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by The_Reasonable_Man Quote
I have the Rokinon-branded version of the 85 1.4, which produces great results wide open, considering its price. I haven't seen much talk about the 14 2.8 -- anybody have any experience with that one, good or bad? Any links to reviews? I'll probably skip the 35 1.4 because it duplicates lenses I already have (and besides, I need AF in that focal range for an everyday lens), but I hope they keep expanding their lineup - more options are always appreciated.
Check my post on the 1st page: herehttps://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/114532-samyang-35mm-f1...ml#post1181505

The 14mm is just... stellar!!
09-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow you really have to need the 1 stop difference to bear the mammoth size and MF.

09-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
wow you really have to need the 1 stop difference to bear the mammoth size and MF.
Well, it also hinges on IQ. We'll see when both are released and tested if it is simply lens speed.
09-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Nikon has the old AI 35/1.4 too, which is MF and goes for 300-500$ I think. The lenght is 74mm, and diameter 67,5mm, so this lens is 36mm longer than the Nikon, plus 15,5mm wider in diameter.
09-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
You probably get a bad copy of the 85mm, because mine is almost perfect.
It was not only my copy. We had a poll on a German forum a while back and about 2/3 of all copies had the aperture problem.

The 14mm suffers often from incorrect infinity setting. There are pages online how to adjust this. Not good.

Samyang has serious quality problems, IMO.

I agree that it is still good value for the money, but it's not perfect.

09-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #53
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
It was not only my copy. We had a poll on a German forum a while back and about 2/3 of all copies had the aperture problem.

The 14mm suffers often from incorrect infinity setting. There are pages online how to adjust this. Not good.

Samyang has serious quality problems, IMO.

I agree that it is still good value for the money, but it's not perfect.
So which is it? Good value, or serious problems? In my experience, "serious quality problems" means junk. I'd never consider junk a good value. So I guess I'm just curious what you're final thought is. In other words, do you regret buying it?

I'm afraid that the release of this and the 35/2.4 are going to push the FA35 prices to astonomical heights that I'll never be able to justify reaching. I've only been going with Pentax for about 5 months, and the price has already gone up about 30%.
09-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #54
Veteran Member

What I meant was that when you get a good one you have good value for the money. But the amount of bad ones is just too high. I didn't want to go through several exchanges. If you are on a very tight budget and need one of these focal lengths, it might be worth the effort.
I didn't really need it. It was a fun purchase.
I gave mine back.

Last edited by blende8; 09-17-2010 at 10:35 AM.
09-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
So which is it? Good value, or serious problems? In my experience, "serious quality problems" means junk. I'd never consider junk a good value. So I guess I'm just curious what you're final thought is. In other words, do you regret buying it?

I'm afraid that the release of this and the 35/2.4 are going to push the FA35 prices to astonomical heights that I'll never be able to justify reaching. I've only been going with Pentax for about 5 months, and the price has already gone up about 30%.
some of the Pentax glasses went up twice the price they were selling before. it started last year.
09-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
I think I don't understand this statement. Either these new lenses are good and cheap, resulting in a lower interest and thus lower price of FA35s, or they're crappy and cheap, which could result in less of a drop in interest in FA35s, but still no rise. How can interest in the FA35 rise with increased competition?

Or do you mean prices for new lenses? In that case, I haven't seen any new FA35 in European shops in a long time, so I think it's discontinued...
09-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #57
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by urje Quote
I think I don't understand this statement. Either these new lenses are good and cheap, resulting in a lower interest and thus lower price of FA35s, or they're crappy and cheap, which could result in less of a drop in interest in FA35s, but still no rise. How can interest in the FA35 rise with increased competition?

Or do you mean prices for new lenses? In that case, I haven't seen any new FA35 in European shops in a long time, so I think it's discontinued...
There will be lenses of the same focal length out in the market, for (guessing) DAL-$200/Samyang-$350. The Samyang is fast, yet large and MF. The DAL is AF, and smaller, yet "slow". This could then sway people in the market of this focal length spend more on the FA35 due to rationalizing increased cost. "Well, I was going to pay $350 on a huge, MF lens. I guess $150 for a proven, smaller, AF lens isn't that much more."

The
09-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #58

Well, maybe people would think that way, but it doesn't sound very reasonable to me. The other way around would work as well: if the samyang is $300, why would people spend more on the FA35 and lose a stop of light? If the DAL35 is $150 and the images are the same, why would one spend more on an ugly, heavier lens that might even be the same speed?

If there's an FA35 for auction on ebay, the price depends on the number of bidders, and how far they want to go. With cheap, new alternatives available, I think the number of people interested in an FA35 would decrease, and it wouldn't surprise me if this decrease would be enough to result in lower winning bids. But what does it matter? In the end, I just pay for a lens what I think it's worth, and then I'm going to enjoy shooting with it and forget about the price. That's where the fun starts!
09-17-2010, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by urje Quote
Well, maybe people would think that way, but it doesn't sound very reasonable to me. The other way around would work as well: if the samyang is $300, why would people spend more on the FA35 and lose a stop of light? If the DAL35 is $150 and the images are the same, why would one spend more on an ugly, heavier lens that might even be the same speed?

If there's an FA35 for auction on ebay, the price depends on the number of bidders, and how far they want to go. With cheap, new alternatives available, I think the number of people interested in an FA35 would decrease, and it wouldn't surprise me if this decrease would be enough to result in lower winning bids. But what does it matter? In the end, I just pay for a lens what I think it's worth, and then I'm going to enjoy shooting with it and forget about the price. That's where the fun starts!
We won't know for sure unless we see how the two new lenses perform. the defining factor would definitely be IQ performance is worth the cost (bang for the buck).

at the moment, the FA35's price is dictated by it's discontinued status and high demand due to it's new found fame. remember, this lens cost less than $300 bucks til people started discovering how great this lens really is and for a 1/3 of the cost of the FA31. so people might want to ask themselves this question of why prefer the FA35 over FA43 (is it focal length?), DA35 (is it speed?), and DA40 (is it focal length and speed?).

I believe there is a certain specific characteristic of the FA35 that makes it appealing for users. if the new 35mm lenses could provide such IQ rendering, then it could affect the price of the FA35. otherwise, the price of the FA35 would remain constant or even increase.
09-17-2010, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #60
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
We won't know for sure unless we see how the two new lenses perform. the defining factor would definitely be IQ performance is worth the cost (bang for the buck).

at the moment, the FA35's price is dictated by it's discontinued status and high demand due to it's new found fame. remember, this lens cost less than $300 bucks til people started discovering how great this lens really is and for a 1/3 of the cost of the FA31. so people might want to ask themselves this question of why prefer the FA35 over FA43 (is it focal length?), DA35 (is it speed?), and DA40 (is it focal length and speed?).

I believe there is a certain specific characteristic of the FA35 that makes it appealing for users. if the new 35mm lenses could provide such IQ rendering, then it could affect the price of the FA35. otherwise, the price of the FA35 would remain constant or even increase.

+1 Rep.

You got my point exactly. There are now a finite amount of FA35. It has a perfect balance of what the others have, and some of what the other don't (unless you combine their features).

FA35 ugly and heavy? Ugly is subjective, but I'd hardly call it heavy.

Last edited by Rory; 09-17-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: I guess rep doesn't mean anything from me since I'm a newb. Sorry. :(