Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 12:12 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
+1

And this is neither news or rumors!
I think the news/rumor section needs a bit of refinement.

09-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I was asking a serious question because I don't know. Do they?
Nikon, like everybody today, has a premium series of their glass, which I think (not sure) is designated by letter G in lens nomenclature. And this glass is as good as comparable glass of other manufacturers...
09-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #48

I am totally happy with Pentax and a new Nikon will not change that.

IMO the only features in D7000 that are above K-7 are better high ISOs and AF. The build quality in K-7 body is in higher level (steel chassis with magnesium allow covers in K-7 vs. plastic chassis with plastic/magnesium allow covers in D7000).
K-7 even has some features that D7000 does not have. (SR, electronic level function, proper interval shooting etc.)

K-5 will have all the good things in K-7, better high ISOs than K-7 and (probably) much improved AF so why to worry ?

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
(sarcasm)
Does Pentax have a set of fast 1.4 primes: 24, 35, 85? And they'll need to be manufactured right now, not in some remote past?
(/sarcasm)
To me the limiteds are much more desirable than f/1.4 primes with comparable focal lenghts in Nikon lineup. I think the limiteds look like luxury items compared to plastic looking Nikkors. Although the builg guality is in high level in f/1.4 Nikkors too. Another advantage in Limiteds is their size/weight.
And 31/1.8 + 77/1.9 limiteds only cost about half as much as Nikon 35/1.4 + 85/1.4 here in Finland.

It is not hard choice to me.

Last edited by Jyrkira; 09-16-2010 at 12:52 AM.
09-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
To me the limiteds are much more desirable than f/1.4 primes with comparable focal lenghts in Nikon lineup.
Absolutely. I was trying to make a point that every manufacturer has its own audience to which they cater. Specifically, if for sake of your shooting, you absolutely had to have 35/1.4 with autofocus, you simply couldn't do it on Pentax. Likewise, Pentax limited lenses have their own benefits, that differ from those of Nikon or Canon premium glass...

Just a small side note: as far as I understood from DPReview article, Nikon D7000 does have electronic level function of some sort. It is shown here (Live View/Movie displays section). Text around has it that it is available in Live View mode, but likely it is available to other shooting modes as well.

09-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I am looking so forward to the appearance of the K-5, hope it will be like k-7 with better sensor and it will. However, it will be heavier ...
Which brings me to nervousness about the new Nikon d7000. Must be a happy day for all nikonians with older nikon glass as it will have a coupling for that old glass.
It made me sit down and contemplate adding one to my system, feeling a bit off with a rather heavy cold. Sat shivering on the couch and contemplated the miracles of Nikon.
Then the doorbell rang, and my favourite postman brought me my new toy. After unwrapping I held a stunningly beautiful old Takumar in my hands, so small, so light, a "limited" of the early sixties, a preset takumar 105mm 2.8 all black version, ready to work with my k-7. I forgot all about Nikon. I can never switch and why add, I already have way too much. If anything, and this might make you all feel sick, I wish for a turquoise 645d. Maybe when I am truly old a third hand one maybe never know maybe lucky one day.....
Well, that makes me nervous. We will see how Pentax fares. My new preset meahwhile takes fabulous pictures and is easy to focus and easy to use as it is preset, it works quite fast. No, I am not nervous about d7000, a full format would make me that, but the lenses they come with are so heavy with Nikon. Mind you, I know a 645d weighs something too, but that would be worh it (specially if by miracle it could be a turqoise one). Have fun all you, be happy, things will be well.
09-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I think the news/rumor section needs a bit of refinement.
I think the news/rumors section needs an active moderator.
09-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I think the news/rumors section needs an active moderator.
That would definitely help, but did you notice the level of direction associated with the forum?

ie. What is the News and Rumors section all about? How should we use it?

I'm all for organization, but without proper guidelines its hard to determine what actions are appropriate and not.
My two cents.

09-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
These forums are really odd.

I don't see how any new camera releases are going to stop me from picking up my 2 year old K200D and my nearly 20 year old Super Program and taking them to the beach this weekend.

Instead of sitting on these boards sweating about stats and spec sheets, I might actually go out and take some pictures. What a novel idea!
Heh, couldn't agree more myself.
09-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #54

Specifically, if for sake of your shooting, you absolutely had to have 35/1.4 with autofocus, you simply couldn't do it on Pentax.
It is not possible with Pentax lenses but it is with Sigma 35/1.4.

Just a small side note: as far as I understood from DPReview article, Nikon D7000 does have electronic level function of some sort. It is shown here (Live View/Movie displays section). Text around has it that it is available in Live View mode, but likely it is available to other shooting modes as well.
It only shows if the camera is in level or not. Pentax corrects the level automatically by rotating sensor.

Last edited by Jyrkira; 09-16-2010 at 12:50 AM.
09-16-2010, 12:46 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Im not nervous one bit, the d7000 will not swing me. I will be getting the k5 this year, as long as there is no nasty surprise's once it gets properly reviewed and tested.
09-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Jyrkira, I am thinking you're confusing with Sigma 30/1.4 which is not a full frame lens.

Pentax has shake reduction... I am not aware that Pentax automatically rotates the sensor in electronic horizon scenario.
09-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Jyrkira, I am thinking you're confusing with Sigma 30/1.4 which is not a full frame lens.

Pentax has shake reduction... I am not aware that Pentax automatically rotates the sensor in electronic horizon scenario.
My K-7 does, but only if I want it to of course! Not that it really matters though because I found the electronic level completely out of whack on my copy so I never used it since I bought it. Hopefully the K-5 will be better in this regard.
09-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
My K-7 does, but only if I want it to of course!
Yes, that was my understanding too - you put the camera on tripod and then play with this feature. As a matter of fact, I honestly find it a bit of a gimmick. It is as if one has an extremely difficult to set up tripod configuration and once they tightened up all the joints, they find that they missed the level by 1 degree. So they will use this feature.

My K-7's level is probably not 100% accurate but is really close to be that way. So, because I tend to fail aligning horizon almost always, I use it for reference. Then at least the error to correct in post is minimal and consistent.
09-16-2010, 02:00 AM   #59

I think it does not matter if the Sigma 35/1.4 is ff lens or not. We are talking of D7000 and Pentax bodies here if this topic. None of them are ff.

K-7 can automatically correct rorizon if I turn horizon correction on. And my K-7 does it well.

What I meant by listing K-7 features (including horzon correction) was that even 1,5 years old K-7 has some nice features that D7000 does not have. And K-5 is coming soon.
09-16-2010, 02:05 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
What I meant by listing K-7 features (including horzon correction) was that even 1,5 years old K-7 has some nice features that D7000 does not have. And K-5 is coming soon.
I completely agree with you. But then again you can always take a pair of cameras and find some features that one contains and another doesn't. Then, depending on particular user, there might be deal makers or deal breakers among these features. In particular, I am fascinated by the compatibility between D7000 and older Nikon glass. Hopefully, K-5 or the camera after it (which would fit my own camera body buying pattern accurately) will have an answer for that.