Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who is becoming nervous after the K5 vs. the D7000 announcement?

Be honest folks: are you getting nervous with the latest news on the D7000 "competing" with the K5?

For those who were eagerly waiting for the magic Pentax upgrade, are you still 100% sure you will buy into Pentax?
I was certainly one who considered very seriously the K5 ... now what?

Well, that's it for me, until the official announcement of the K5, just before, at or after Photokina 2010:
I will stay put, giving no comment on rumours, comparisons and supposed specs, especially after having read the latest on the D7000 which, from what I read here and at other forums, "will give the K5 a run for its money".

As I previously posted: I will wait for the official and final specs on the K5;
: I will wait for tests and reviews from real users for the K5;
: I will wait for REAL comparisons tests re: K5 vs. D7000.

09-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Pentax hasn't made an announcement yet. So far the $1699 is speculation.
09-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Be honest folks: are you getting nervous with the latest news on the D7000 "competing" with the K5?

For those who were eagerly waiting for the magic Pentax upgrade, are you still 100% sure you will buy into Pentax?
I was certainly one who considered very seriously the K5 ... now what?

Well, that's it for me, until the official announcement of the K5, just before, at or after Photokina 2010:
I will stay put, giving no comment on rumours, comparisons and supposed specs, especially after having read the latest on the D7000 which, from what I read here and at other forums, "will give the K5 a run for its money".

As I previously posted: I will wait for the official and final specs on the K5;
: I will wait for tests and reviews from real users for the K5;
: I will wait for REAL comparisons tests re: K5 vs. D7000.
Nervous? Why nervous? K-5 announcement is not the end of the world; you may:
1. Like it and (sooner or later) go for it.
2. Dislike it and pass it for the next camera.
3. Get disappointed and finally switch to Nikon/Whatever.
I don't see it any different from the previous announcements in this regard.

Last edited by farhagh; 09-15-2010 at 08:55 PM.
09-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

More like I'm getting annoyed at Nikon D7000 hysteria...

09-15-2010, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

These forums are really odd.

I don't see how any new camera releases are going to stop me from picking up my 2 year old K200D and my nearly 20 year old Super Program and taking them to the beach this weekend.

Instead of sitting on these boards sweating about stats and spec sheets, I might actually go out and take some pictures. What a novel idea!
09-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Funny....

Let's say for argument's sake, the D7000 will give you 10% better bang for buck than the K-5. Just the way it goes this time around.

Are you so not invested in Pentax (lenses, strobes, accessories, etc.) that you would jump ship and get the Nikon instead of the K-5?

Because if you aren't, then I see no reason why you'd be nervous... hell, you can switch systems every other year, depending on the best camera that comes out that year, and buy that camera with the kit lens and shoot with that for 2 years.

But, if you *are* invested in Pentax, then I don't see why you'd even consider switching systems for a mere 10% better bang for buck.

So in either case, I can't see why this Nikon cam can have an impact on a Pentaxian.
09-15-2010, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #7

if k5 is as advertised then even if its marginly more expensive when first released than the d7000 they will be remarably similar cameras and the k5 will likely drop in price and even if you dont consider that then is that $200 or so really enough to make you swap all your lenses

i possibly would switch to nikon if i was starting from scratch but realisitically if i bought a d7000 i would be using it with the kit lense for quite a while before i could replace all my lenses and cant even get a fast stablised standard zoom for nikon

09-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Threadstarter, if by your admission

"I will stay put, giving no comment on rumours, comparisons and supposed specs, especially after having read the latest on the D7000 which, from what I read here and at other forums, "will give the K5 a run for its money".

then why in the world do you need to start a new thread and add to the speculation when I think you could very well have continued the discussion by posting on the other "K-5" threads?
09-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll either want a K-5 or I won't. Nobody can force me to buy one so why should I be nervous? In fact, why would anyone be nervous over the fact that he/she has a couple (or more) of attractive choices? We're the customers with the cash and the control - it's the manufacturers who should be nervous.

Also, help me understand why it's suddenly so shocking that the various camera companies offer competitive products. Such has been the case since I bought my my first MX in 1978. So what's new?

Frankly, I'm baffled by all of the hubbub - but maybe I'm missing something.

Jer
09-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm a bit nervous for Pentax, but not for me. Although it misses the nice compact design of the K-7, this camera looks like something I'd be really pleased to own and use. Nikon doesn't have anything like the Limited lenses, and without SR in the body they're never going to be as nice for hand-held shooting with compact prime lenses, but they make very nice cameras.

Previously, were I forced by an freak zombie plague attack to switch camera brands, I would have been a bit puzzled. Olympus, maybe, paired with the Leica D Summilux 25mm f/1.4? But with Nikon moving into this space, hey, there's an answer.

And, while I'd miss my DA Limiteds, Nikon has proved themselves serious about nice prime lenses, with the 35mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/1.4G, and 24mm F/1.4G all announced this year, and the 50mm f/1.4G a couple of years ago. These aren't cheap lenses — showing the expensive-for-Pentax FA 31mm Limited for the bargain it is — but it being Nikon, they're all but guaranteed to hold their value. (And Nikon has a 5-year warranty for lenses!) So I'd have to save my pennies to build a nice lens lineup, but I'd rather have one really nice prime than a dozen mediocre zooms anyway.
09-15-2010, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

A lot of us shoot with older lenses, MF lenses, or new lenses that don't offer OS in the lens......I remember the fuzzy shots I got with the DS too many times from low speeds.........so does the D7000 have SR? I didn't think so! Is it a deal killer....it sure would be for me, SR is a lifesaver many, many times. If you forgot how much it is a lifesaver, turn it off for couple of days......

The K5 is going to be a superb camera.....if you already shoot Pentax and have lenses, switching to a non-SR camera of any brand is going to be a big disappointment for you. I will guarantee you that....I hear the local Nikonians and Canonites whining about no SR all too often.
Best Regards

1/15 Hand held with Pentax SR.........I don't leave home without it!
[IMG] [/IMG]
09-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
For Pentax users with a serious lenses investment like me, the D7000 lacks 2 important features: SR and K-mount compatibility.

But it's more about not attracting new users. I'm afraid it will be the same with the K-r vs D3100. Weirdly the K-r and K-5 may be the best Pentax cameras ever with almost no flaws but they may end up as flops because they are in direct competitions with Nikon bodies. That's maybe the problem, up to now, Pentax more or less avoided direct confrontation. The K10D/K20D/K-7 were nicely slotted between D80/D90 and D200/D300 and they were often priced closer to D80/D90, even below. Now the K-5 and D7000 will occupy the same slot, the K-5 is more expensive and above all doesn't have the brand recognition.
09-15-2010, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I'm just guessing here, but I think maybe some Pentaxians thought, rightly or wrongly, that we are about to have a camera that is an obvious class-leader and not just a contender. Today's announcement by Nikon was pretty impressive and raises the bar that the K5 will have to surpass. That may make some of these people a little nervous.

Personally, I'm quite happy in Pentax land. I'm confident that the K5 will be an impressive body and I look forward to using it, regardless of how it compares to the competition, though I still think it will make us proud!
09-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
It certainly has piqued my interest - with the pentax jump in lens prices I could get out ok and move over - but as has been pointed out jumping for 10% more is a bit silly - jumping for 30% more would be worth my time. I really hope pentax comes through on the price/performance balance.
09-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Well, I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and my 41/2 year old K100D will still be taking pictures. No reason to be nervous.