Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #16
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not nervous about the announcement! When I look at the prices of the glass from c&n I will stay with Pentax even if I have to buy Sigma or Tamron. So I will be buying the K5 but I will give it some time for the price to drop. So in the end it's cheaper for me to stay with Pentax for now but in 5 years who knows.

09-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
Banned

Why would I be nervous. I'm a pentax shooter with pentax glass, The D7000 won't work with them. Bodies matter much less than glass. Though it's taken a while for me to learn that fact.
09-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'm a bit nervous for Pentax, but not for me.
+1, I have a camera what can still take picture, I would be worry for Pentax if it loss more market share to other company tho.
09-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Why would I be nervous. I'm a pentax shooter with pentax glass, The D7000 won't work with them. Bodies matter much less than glass. Though it's taken a while for me to learn that fact.
yep...

09-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
These forums are really odd.

I don't see how any new camera releases are going to stop me from picking up my 2 year old K200D and my nearly 20 year old Super Program and taking them to the beach this weekend.

Instead of sitting on these boards sweating about stats and spec sheets, I might actually go out and take some pictures. What a novel idea!
Very good statement and I might do just that!
You've taken me "back to earth".

JP
09-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Funny....

Let's say for argument's sake, the D7000 will give you 10% better bang for buck than the K-5. Just the way it goes this time around.

Are you so not invested in Pentax (lenses, strobes, accessories, etc.) that you would jump ship and get the Nikon instead of the K-5?

Because if you aren't, then I see no reason why you'd be nervous... hell, you can switch systems every other year, depending on the best camera that comes out that year, and buy that camera with the kit lens and shoot with that for 2 years.

But, if you *are* invested in Pentax, then I don't see why you'd even consider switching systems for a mere 10% better bang for buck.

So in either case, I can't see why this Nikon cam can have an impact on a Pentaxian.
Another excellent point, and thanks for the reply.
Of course, I am quite "invested" in Pentax gear actually.
Glad to read this.

JP
09-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
More like I'm getting annoyed at Nikon D7000 hysteria...
That pretty much sounds like hysteria and maybe I should stop looking at the "rumours" from other brands.

JP

09-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Threadstarter, if by your admission

"I will stay put, giving no comment on rumours, comparisons and supposed specs, especially after having read the latest on the D7000 which, from what I read here and at other forums, "will give the K5 a run for its money".

then why in the world do you need to start a new thread and add to the speculation when I think you could very well have continued the discussion by posting on the other "K-5" threads?
Sounds like I hit a nail here.

Why did you answer to that thread anyway?

JP
09-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I'll either want a K-5 or I won't. Nobody can force me to buy one so why should I be nervous? In fact, why would anyone be nervous over the fact that he/she has a couple (or more) of attractive choices? We're the customers with the cash and the control - it's the manufacturers who should be nervous.

Also, help me understand why it's suddenly so shocking that the various camera companies offer competitive products. Such has been the case since I bought my my first MX in 1978. So what's new?

Frankly, I'm baffled by all of the hubbub - but maybe I'm missing something.

Jer
Funny how this is turning into.

It would appear that asking for one's opinion on a specific, if not sensitive, subject would suddenly animate one's dormant response.
Nothing personal.

JP
09-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I have the k-7 and I am happy with that. Nothing can replace that since I like the body ergonmics (don't like any of the other brands); and I like my three Limited primes. I am watching it with interest that some day I may upgrade to k-5 or the next model after that. If Pentax loses market share or stop making cameras, perhaps I can pick up one or two of the k-r or k-5 real cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I want Pentax to do well. Even if they don't, I am not worry at all.

Last edited by aleonx3; 09-15-2010 at 08:33 PM.
09-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Nuked

I think that the unspoken underlying anxiety being expressed is that the Nikon announcement is being seen as though it were a nuke tossed into the entire DSLR world

and maybe more specifically that while some other companies can withstand the D7000 "nuke" blast, perhaps smaller companies face a real threat to their future

thus leaving say, Pentax owners (or some other small company:ugh out

Also assumed is that in the near future Nikon looks like they will be tossing more nukes (D300, D700 replacements)

Me? I think that people could really benefit from having multiple systems. I also think that Pentax had better really elevate its line to play in this environment

IQ from the new cameras will mean a lot to me as I compare

One thing that I havent seen mentioned too much is the effect of price in this announcement. The $1199 Nikon is stunning, but what this says to me is someone is finally bringing the economics of a mature market forward. All electronics are supposed to drop while improving. Well DSLRs have been massively expensive since they arrived on the scene ( especially when Canon tossed out their own D30 "nuke" in 1999) $2000 cameras!!!!

Well maybe we are seeing the expectations of electronic goodies falling more into line- MORE inexpensive, MORE quality/usefulness. Frankly I think they need to fall MUCH MUCH further
09-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am absolutely terrified the camera police are going to come take my obsolete piece of crap camera and send me to a nikon re-education camp.

Was I interested in the d7000 and explore maybe if it would be a better system for me? Absolutely. Nervous? Why would I ever be nervous about a new consumer level camera? Fact is, it might draw more people nikons way. Nikon has something pentax doesn't, existing market share. Pentax is doing the smart thing (in my mind) and growing their entry level offerings. Get a young generation of photographers shooting pentax and you'll have people looking to upgrade as they grow.
09-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #28
Raylon

I can kind of see the original posters nervousness though. I have a K200 and an investment in a flash, and am seriously considering getting a K5 next summer. But I am a little worried that Pentax is a dead end. I would like to get a more advanced camera, and if Pentax for some reason starts making crap, I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of pentax stuff, I would rather just switch to CaNikon now and have a bunch of upgrade room later.

But this is all speculation and garbage. I'm sure if I stick with Pentax I will be plenty satisfied.
09-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe a bit disappointed that Pentax probably lost this round for advanced amateur level cameras, but certainly not nervous.

New cameras just don't change the fact that I able to take photos that I like with my existing camera and lenses. They just give added convenience and sometimes some new shooting options (eg. lower light shooting with higher ISO; higher FPS).

Canon shook the market with the low priced 300D. Pentax did it recently with Kx. Now its Nikons turn. Hopefully it will encourage those holding back features to give more on their next cameras.
09-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What the d7000 means to me is that Pentax may come out a bit lower with the pricing of the K5. Am I frightened because of that? Sounds good to me.

Now Canon should be worried. The features for the new Nikon (except for pixel count) are much more impressive than for the 60D. The new Olympus looks good too. Where's Sony in the prosumer market?