Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #31

Is the d7000 penatamirror or prisim. The big thing making me want to upgrade my k100ds to a K-7 or 5 is the view finder. Playing with a k-x and k-7 side by side made that desire even greater. The k-x maybe nice in low light, the the k-7 is 8 times the camera to take pictures with.

09-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #32
Veteran Member

No, I am not nervous. I bought into Pentax system long time ago, when pentax lenses were selling for much less than now. So, I'm bound to Pentax for now. If I would change systems it would be a change for full frame system, not FOR some excellent APS-C camera.

On the other hand, if I would be first time DSLR buyer, I would definitely choose Nikon D7000 now. With recent lens price hike Pentax lost it's appeal as a "very good value for the money" system.

However I know who are really nervous ― that's all other DSLR manufacturers. They will have very tough times competing against D7000. Interesting, Pentax is in quite good position here, they will have K-5, camera wich easily can stand against D7000, they just need to adjust pricing. Other manufacturers simply don't have model which can compete with D7000 in mid range.
09-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ramitt Quote
Is the d7000 penatamirror or prisim.
It's 100% coverage pentaprism.
09-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm excited by it. Just imagine what the D300s replacement is going to be like!

09-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #35
pdo

all these competition is good for us consumers. Pentax prices have climb ladders ever since Hoya takeover. Hope the K5 will sell under a grand in 6 months....
09-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I am not nervous. I see few possible scenarios:

1. I keep shooting Pentax with my present gear (K-7, assortment of primes and zooms). In this scenario I don't really care about Nikon, Sony, Canon, etc.

2. For whatever reason I decide to switch systems. This scenario is likely entail certain money spendage . Also likely I am to switch to the FF system for me and something smaller/lighter for my daughter.

3. I decide to start another system along with Pentax. Again, money to be spent.

4. Worst of all, Pentax looses on the market battlefield and:
a. I cannot fix my gear, should it break.
b. I cannot buy gear that I need, 'cause it is unavailable for whatever reason.
c. Karat Israel (official Pentax dealer) pulls the plug on Pentax in my country.

Then I will have to operate as per p. 2 above.

None of these scenarios make me particularly nervous. I may feel certain anticipation of new announcements, new gear reviews, new photographs made with the new gear that I will get chance of looking at in person, etc. But nervous? Nah!

Last edited by Boris; 09-15-2010 at 11:09 PM.
09-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #37

Photos: Gallery
i have hope that K-5 will a very good camera and a step for futures new cameras. I have the k20 and i am ok with it (except for AF an ISO), and i hope that i can buy the k5 next year.
i agree with Boris points.

09-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unless you're a pro shooting high level action etc you're not likely to need a camera that costs $1500-5000. A $1300-1600 DSLR is getting pretty pricey even for serious hobbyists. I'm not saying some people won't run out and get one, but in my mind there's often a real question as to whether or not they actually need and can properly use a camera that does all that.

I met a guy last night who has a $1400 Canon DSLR. In over a year since he's purchased it the guy apparently has yet to read the darned manual let alone update his firmware. He's totally messing up what look to be great pics given the right settings because he can't figure out the menus well enough to correct his white balance, et all for the circumstances he's shooting in. (He can't correct after in software either, clueless, definitely not a Photoshop Guru, this guy.) He has some basic understanding of aperture, I'll give him that, but otherwise he'd be better off selling it and using a pocket camera for all the good his $1400 DSLR is doing him.

Fact is he has the eye of a decent photographer. If he'd just sit down and read the manual, learn the camera, he'd probably do all right. Fantastic, if he'd learn some basic moves in editing software. But he says he's "too busy" to read and fiddle with all that, and yet, he insists upon using the camera in manual mode.

30 minutes with the guy and in my head I was ready to deck him, grab his camera and run, I swear. People like him drive me crazy. He has to have the best "toys" but actually learning to USE them? That's far too much effort apparently.

I don't get people who have decent cameras, computers, phones etc who upgrade nearly every time a new one comes out. Just because they can. I only upgrade because I really need to for purposes of work mostly. If I happen to have already a 5 year old computer that still functions and that does the job just fine and can run what I need to do my job sans fuss? Then why buy another one till it can't?

Ditto new cars. People who go out and buy a new car every other year? I just don't get that. I've never owned a car that was new actually, always buy used by a few years, saves $$$, but I only sell one when it's practically too far gone to keep on putting repair money into it.

I have no doubt that when I can finally afford my "work" DSLR's that I'll be using both of them until they just give up on me. I'm going to buy the best cameras I can afford that will do the job, sure, but you won't see me swapping them out every two years if they are still working fine.

My Fuji has actually been with me since late 2002. It's just now getting to the point where I can tell it's probably on it's last legs. It's been bit a bit limiting that camera, but it was a good camera for a point and shoot, it's paid for itself many times over now. I will miss it when it's finally gone even if I have upgraded to a DSLR by then.

The goal of the retail industry is to keep people motivated to buy. I think it's far too easy sometimes to get trapped into a mindset of doing just that. I used to be that way about my other hobby. The new toys would come out every year and I'd plan and save with the goal of getting new ones every year whether I really needed them or not. Even in years where the offerings were only so-so I'd find myself still spending money on new stuff just because everybody else in my groups online was.

I don't do that anymore. I had to quit that crap for the sake of my wallet. I don't think I have to "keep up with the Joneses" anymore. I've finally come to realize that I just can't afford to be like that anymore. I always admire it when people want to show off their new toys, but I try to pull myself back from getting too interested.

The way I see it my goal is to look at what I'd like to buy, see what my actual requirements are for said type of item, then buy the least expensive item I can that will do most of what I want if not all. Preferably I want to buy used, but if I can buy new and not spend much more, maybe get a warranty, I usually will.

Over the years I've found doing that actually saves me a lot of grief. It's all too easy to get into the specs, to get so impressed that you end up spending far too much $$$ on something you really won't be using to full capacity. If you can, fine, but to buy when you may not need to, to buy far more that way than you actually need specs-wise and to break the bank doing it just doesn't make much sense to me.

I really like the K-x/K-7, but the only reason I'd likely not buy a used Pentax that's a couple of generations back is because the people who sell them used apparently seem to think that they can get me to pay practically the same $$$ for an older, used one as I can spend on a new model. Way I see it I'm just not going to spend $500 on a 5 year old Pentax DSLR when I can buy a K-x for the same or only a bit more than that.

Personally I think most of the stores online that sell used cameras are a bit nuts. I mean who in their right mind would buy a 5 year old DSLR for the same price as the similar new model on the shelf? Unless that older camera is really something special that's not very sensible.

PS: Rupert that's just beautiful.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
1/15 Hand held with Pentax SR.........I don't leave home without it! [/url] [/IMG]
09-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does Nikon have a nice set of primes aka the limiteds? (they'll need to have VR in them to compensate too)
09-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Does Nikon have a nice set of primes aka the limiteds? (they'll need to have VR in them to compensate too)
(sarcasm)
Does Pentax have a set of fast 1.4 primes: 24, 35, 85? And they'll need to be manufactured right now, not in some remote past?
(/sarcasm)

Let us not however decline towards "does A have B or does C have D" kind of arguments.
09-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

1/15 Hand held with Pentax SR.........I don't leave home without it!
One of those "beat that" images, i like it!

Built-in SR is a bliss, but it not as much now since you can push ISO up to 3200 or above.
09-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #42

I am not.

I love Limiteds and SR is crucial for me, and I prefer compact bodies.

Sure it may hurt Pentax -willbe- market share
but entry level is more important for that and K-x does good, hopefully K-r will too.

I am OK with Pentax bodies are not cheaper or even more expensive-not much though - than Canikon's.
Pentax bodies generally have more features, and K-5 price will be settled down as K-7's did in months anyway.
But new bodies would better have good AF!

No need for to be nervous or to rush.
I will see specs. and wait for reviews.

Give me a much better AF and high ISO
and I'd upgrade from K20D no matter how terrific are the D7000 and other bodies are.
I'd even choose a K-r.

will i be able to take these shots with a D7000 handheld?
I don't think so : )
DA40mm 0.3s.

09-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #43

K5 looks like a great camera, however I am still happy with my K20D, maybe think about the K5 next year where I expect the price has fallen, most likely skip this round and pick up the next pentax flagship model.

the D7000 also looks very good, we still miss the official specs of the K5 and real-life testing of both models.... it looks a possibility that both will be closely matched and if this is the case Pentax will likely need to adjust price accordingly.

While I have quite a bit invested in Pentax I am an optimist... development is good and both the K5 and D7000 look like strong contenders... looking at spec sheets its the Canon 60D which looks a bit of a mismatch in favor of Pentax/Nikon)
09-16-2010, 12:02 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
then why in the world do you need to start a new thread and add to the speculation when I think you could very well have continued the discussion by posting on the other "K-5" threads?
+1

And this is neither news or rumors!
09-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Let us not however decline towards "does A have B or does C have D" kind of arguments.
I was asking a serious question because I don't know. Do they?