Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 02:06 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
I think it does not matter if the Sigma 35/1.4 is ff lens or not. We are talking of D7000 and Pentax bodies here if this topic. None of them are ff.
Oh, it matters the whole lot, simply because in Nikon land you have a choice of either FX or DX body for your lenses.

09-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Oh, it matters the whole lot, simply because in Nikon land you have a choice of either FX or DX body for your lenses.
Yes, and no, many lenses that are "FF" are simply no performing enough anymore on a FF camera. The 17-40L from Canon comes to mind.

Most of the time, lenses designed for digital FF are signicantly bigger than their APSC brother (same focal lens) and film brothers.

For those who value compaticity, APSC only lenses do have some relevance.
09-16-2010, 04:19 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Be honest folks: are you getting nervous with the latest news on the D7000 "competing" with the K5?
No, not even when we do NOT see a K-7.
High ISO?? K-7 allows me to shoot 99% of what I want to shoot. Better AF??? Sure, but current AF allows me to shoot 98% of what I want.

Most important for me is rugged and sealed. Ofcourse D7000 has that as well (not sure to what extent but let's assume on par with K-7).
Size... I don't expect the K-5 to be much bigger than K-7.

Now, add sealed lenses....
Nikon has a few but they are expensive and most have no VR.
Size....
The "must have" Nikkor 24-70 weighs 900g, the big and bulky FA*28-70 800g.
24-70 has the edge on max diameter (83mm as opposed to 85mm) but is much longer (133m as opposed to 104 mm).(FA* isn't sealed unfortunately but it is just to compare size, DA* is sealed and smaller)

So, for my use Pentax kit is much more
09-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why should I be nervous? Do you really think that a new good camera from Nikon is going to push Pentax under? Yeah it's a nice camera, and yes it's competition for the K-5, but I'm not going to jump to Nikon for it, and I doubt that I'm the only one.

NaCl(this isn't going to kill Pentax folks, relax)H2O

09-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Same with me in respect of D7000, the only reason I would switch would be if I decided to go for a FF, and Pentax was not offering that to me. But then I'd still keep my K10 to be able to use my one Voigtländer lens.
09-16-2010, 05:33 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Yes, and no, many lenses that are "FF" are simply no performing enough anymore on a FF camera. The 17-40L from Canon comes to mind.

Most of the time, lenses designed for digital FF are signicantly bigger than their APSC brother (same focal lens) and film brothers.

For those who value compaticity, APSC only lenses do have some relevance.
Valid points... I agree.
09-16-2010, 06:21 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I'll either want a K-5 or I won't. Nobody can force me to buy one so why should I be nervous? In fact, why would anyone be nervous over the fact that he/she has a couple (or more) of attractive choices? We're the customers with the cash and the control - it's the manufacturers who should be nervous.

Also, help me understand why it's suddenly so shocking that the various camera companies offer competitive products. Such has been the case since I bought my my first MX in 1978. So what's new?

Frankly, I'm baffled by all of the hubbub - but maybe I'm missing something.

Jer
Funny how this is turning into.

It would appear that asking for one's opinion on a specific, if not sensitive, subject would suddenly animate one's dormant response.
Nothing personal.

JP
Please accept my apology, JP.

I didn't intend for my response to have such an acrimonious tone, but after re-reading it this morning, I must admit it does . The irony is that my message was - to me at least - positive: we customers are in the catbird's seat - we've got the power of choice and can patronize any camera maker we please. However, I should have chosen my words more carefully.

Anyway - once again - I apologize.

Jer

09-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Do I worry for me no, but Pentax needs to attract new users and keep them if hoya is going to continue to support the brand, that's the real issue. If they can't expand the user base and make money hoya will get out. They are in this as a business not a hobby. For me the D700 is the first camera in a while that has made me think twice. 1200 for the body is a hot price. SR and weather proofing are in Pentax's favour as is my small collection of lenses. Mind you lately unless i am shooting something that demands Digital (For Speed and cost od large amounts of pictures - Like shooting TIFF red carpets or live music) I am just as likely to walk around with my 35mm rangefinder or my Medium format.
I'll wait for the reviews and comparisons and the market price to settle before deciding but this camera is definitely tempting me to leave Pentax after several decades - Funnily enough prior to Pentax I was a Nikon F shooter until the kit I assembled was stolen and I had no Insurance (folly of youth) and had to replace it on a tight budget. I've never regretted it and been happy overall but there are times I wish I had gone either Canon or Nikon for the depth in their offerings and my ability to find a larger selection of used gear (albeit not always as lightly used as the Pentax used gear pros generally only give up gear when it's time to replace it)
09-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #69

Not Nervous, Very Excited

I've thoroughly enjoyed my Pentax K10D and the 30,000 exposures we have been through together. The K-5 looks mighty tempting. The only thing that put me off initially was the reported price tag of $1699. Now whether this price is MSRP or street price makes no difference thanks to the arrival of the Nikon D7000, whose street price will START at $1199. I don't believe the management of Hoya/Pentax are stupid. If they have any firing neurons, they will make sure the K-5 is competitively priced with the D7000. We will all benefit. I anticipate that by the time DPReview and many Pentaxians have reviewed the K-5, the price will be somewhere in the ballpark of $1199 to $1299. If the reviews are favorable, I for one will gladly purchase the K-5 in this price range.
09-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #70
Inactive Account

I'm just wondering if all the people who heaped shit on Pentax for backwards compatibility ("Yeah, but MF lenses don't count,") are gonna hold Nikon to the same standard...
09-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I believe I have to clarify my opening post. After having gone over it and the responses this morning, I realize that I inadvertently opened a can of worms, with no intention of causing trouble.
So, let me then go over each comment I have made in this opening post. It may be too late to convince any of you of my sincere "convictions", but I will give it a go:

Be honest folks: are you getting nervous with the latest news on the D7000 "competing" with the K5?
The title, to start with, is all wrong from the start. I should have written "annoyed" instead of "nervous". Too late for changing that, sorry.

For those who were eagerly waiting for the magic Pentax upgrade, are you still 100% sure you will buy into Pentax?
I was certainly one who considered very seriously the K5 ... now what?
I admit that I have been very excited with the K5 announced (rumoured) specs ever since they started to trickle all over the forum.
I was trying to find out, in all honesty, if there are members of this forum who became annoyed (I said "nervous") at the announcement of the D7000 vs. the K5. And truthfully, I am not nervous about this. Simply wanted others' opinions.

Well, that's it for me, until the official announcement of the K5, just before, at or after Photokina 2010:
I will stay put, giving no comment on rumours, comparisons and supposed specs, especially after having read the latest on the D7000 which, from what I read here and at other forums, "will give the K5 a run for its money".
This again was wrongly worded by myself. Until the Photokina 2010 OFFICIAL announcement of the K5, and until the REAL tests come out, either for the K5 on its own, or by comparing it to "similarly good" cameras, I will stay away from making comments.

As I previously posted: I will wait for the official and final specs on the K5;
: I will wait for tests and reviews from real users for the K5;
: I will wait for REAL comparisons tests re: K5 vs. D7000.
Does that mean that I am ready to jump ship? Not at all actually, although my opening post might have seemed to indicate that.
I am already heavily invested in Pentax gear, and I have been a Pentax brand user since the late seventies ... yeah ... I'm that old already! If anyone wants to know what gear I have, just ask.
Now, why should I wait for the comparison of the K5 vs. the D7000 .... ? Maybe to satisfy myself to know that Pentax is going to come out with a camera which will have what I have been waiting for: ass-kicking AF and better high ISO handling.
I sincerely apologize to those who have been offended with this thread.
Until Photokina 2010, K5 reviews and tests ...
Cheers to all!
JP
09-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #72
Veteran Member

The K5 is a step in the right direction for someone already with Pentax, to make even more use of all those Pentax glass they have been collecting, the D7000 is a step towards empting your wallet buying into a whole new brand and in the end the images will more or less be the same depending on the photographer's abilities and what's being shot.

That said you choose the tool needed for what and how you photograph; for example, why choose a body that does a gazillion frames per second when all you shoot are landscapes and individual portraits?

Being content is frustrating sometimes being a photographer just needs patience and sane self confidence.
09-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #73

Pentaxians, stop being frustrated.
i dont believe that you are all exceptional users that need this Pentax only spec (SR) or that one whatever it is.
Stop thinking and sell out your gear and buy this Nikon D7000 and 1 or 2 lenses

I'm sure that will be the more relaxing experience you ever had
your mind will be free and light after that, you'll have plenty of nikonians friends you'll be able to exchange with, plenty of accessories for you in shops, plenty of softwares and tutorials on internet, and you'll finally stop being frustated with your gear

why are you still forcing yourself with reasons you dont even believe in?
09-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Not in the slightest, I am simply entertaining my self. As it happens, this wait for Photokina occurs in the same time as I am recovering from an operation and I am so bored and have nothing else to do but hanging around here in PF

Seriously the coming K-5 does interest me highly, I am finally looking for an upgrade to my k10. but nervous, no way.
09-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Most important for me is rugged and sealed. Ofcourse D7000 has that as well (not sure to what extent but let's assume on par with K-7).
I'm surprised this was the first mention of weathersealing. That was one of the first things I looked for on the D7000 - and as far as I can tell, it has no sealing whatsoever. If it does, it's probably the minimal sealing that Canon puts on their mid-level DSLRs - maybe enough for a little sprinkle but nothing like the full-on sealing of the K-7.

I know that this is unpopular with the "traditionalists" but I also find 24fps to be a rather silly restriction on video. Virtually all display devices (except in PAL locations) playback at 30fps. You can't even show true 24fps without a 120hZ TV (or similar PC monitor.) The earlier Nikons also recorded audio at only 11kHz vs 44 on Pentax and Canon. As someone who just wants to do the occasional video for fun, I want 30fps and 44kHz. 1080p is nice but I'll take 720p/30 over 1080p/24.

The biggest problem with the Nikon for me is still the mount - it's the most un-adaptable mount out there. I want to be able to use my M42s with infinity focus without extra glass! Canon has the advantage here but I generally don't like their offerings.