Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Nervous? not in the slightest, the K-5 will lose in every comparison between the 2 online and in magazine format, nothing new there...
The menu system will get a kicking for being too old fashioned and requiring too many button presses (Amateur Photographer UK). The Jpeg system will be beaten up by Dpreview, and Nikon will find a way of making the D7000 rank higher on DXOMark. Our forum members here will give out that it costs too much and that the K20 / K-7 will have better lower ISO for landscape work
And you know what, I couldn't give a damn! This will be equal to the best of any APS-C by any other manufacturer and probably even surpass them with some talent behind the viewfinder. Thats the way Pentax works , 'we will give you the tool, its up to you to use it!'
Jpeg? does not bother me, I use raw, the digital negative. Menu system? I have 2 dials for aperture and speed, there is a specific ISO button for the infrequent times I have to change that and after a weeks use I'll know it inside out so another non issue. The only thing that will stop me buying this in October is that there probably won't be a Katzeye available for it straight away... As soon as its available I will get one. Cost? hmm, Hoya are slowing moving Pentax away from the competition, they cost more, get over it, have pride in your Pentax, it is your choice to buy into this system and also this community. An extra couple of hundred dollars or euro will maybe cause some of us to leave, fair enough thats a pity but I would rather spend that and be part of this community and have access to the talent, advice and creativity available here and in some other places. And for the ability to mount an FA Limited, thats something the other 2 cannot compete with.
S!
I think the Katzeyes for the K7 will fit just fine in the K5, since the body is pretty much the same, just as the grip for one will fit the other.

09-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #122
music_lover

I'll add my 0.02 cents: The only way I would buy the Pentax over the Nikon is this: The Pentax will have to have some features that ARE NOT on the Nikon, example, a tilting Montor or just some eye catching thing that says MUST HAVE thingy
09-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Unless you're a pro shooting high level action etc you're not likely to need a camera that costs $1500-5000. A $1300-1600 DSLR is getting pretty pricey even for serious hobbyists. I'm not saying some people won't run out and get one, but in my mind there's often a real question as to whether or not they actually need and can properly use a camera that does all that.

I met a guy last night who has a $1400 Canon DSLR. In over a year since he's purchased it the guy apparently has yet to read the darned manual let alone update his firmware. He's totally messing up what look to be great pics given the right settings because he can't figure out the menus well enough to correct his white balance, et all for the circumstances he's shooting in. (He can't correct after in software either, clueless, definitely not a Photoshop Guru, this guy.) He has some basic understanding of aperture, I'll give him that, but otherwise he'd be better off selling it and using a pocket camera for all the good his $1400 DSLR is doing him.
Right on point. All this crazyness with camera announcements with big spec lists and high prices (and this includes the expected price on the K-5!), supposedly for the "enthusiast" market. Most of those people are buying whatever is reviewed on gadget sites (ex: D7000) and think that by just buying a reflex they automatically have better pictures than their P&S - while the opposite is more probable.

Not to mention that they invest on the less important, bodies that get deprecated in 1-2 years, instead of investing on good lenses. Then shoot forever on "Auto".

Oh god...
09-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #124
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
It might be that Pentax is able to sell more if that $10 000 camera than they would sell a $2300 FF camera....
That is the real (open) question.
I would pay $2,300 for a FF version of the K-5 before paying $1,600 for the APS-C version.

09-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #125
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I'll add my 0.02 cents: The only way I would buy the Pentax over the Nikon is this: The Pentax will have to have some features that ARE NOT on the Nikon, example, a tilting Montor or just some eye catching thing that says MUST HAVE thingy

The guy with a Kx and kit lens and maybe a 20 buck M series prime off e bay can make the move pretty easily, but not everyone who is looking at the new K5 has all of 3 months of photography under their belt.

The only way I would buy the Nikon over the Pentax is if the Pentax System was limiting my photography in some way. Say like the lack of long glass for birds or wildlife (hint freaking hint Pentax)

You go add up a basic nature photo kit, say a 12-24, maybe a 70 200, a 105 macro and one long lens say 400 MM or over and get back to me on switching because the Nikon is just a few notches above the K5 in one or two areas and a couple hundred less in price.

I'll pay a few hundred more for the Pentax and save a couple grand not replacing the lens I already own. We'll see who comes out ahead at the end of the year.

09-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #126
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AGWoodard Quote
. . .

The only way I would buy the Nikon over the Pentax is if the Pentax System was limiting my photography in some way. Say like the lack of long glass for birds or wildlife (hint freaking hint Pentax)

. . .

[/COLOR][/LEFT]
I see the argument come up from time to time. However, until recently Pentax had the FA* 600/4 available but they were special order and people weren't lighting up the phones making orders. Furthermore, I find it absolutely hilarious when I see someone threaten to leave Pentax to buy a Nikon AF-S 600/4 ED VR or the AF-6 500/4 or AF-S 400/2.8 ED-VR lens. Frankly, if I had that kind of money for one of those lenses, I would just add a body to my current line up.
09-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #127
Forum Member

Bonsoir,

I stay with my one year old K-7. I've still many things to discover and much fun to enjoy.

Don't forget the learning curve with new gear.

Best regards,

09-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #128

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
The biggest problem with the Nikon for me is still the mount - it's the most un-adaptable mount out there. I want to be able to use my M42s with infinity focus without extra glass! Canon has the advantage here but I generally don't like their offerings.
+1

...and not to mention using K-mount glass with Nikons
09-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
It might be that Pentax is able to sell more if that $10 000 camera than they would sell a $2300 FF camera....
That is the real (open) question.
I compared Pentax to Nikon and Sony in the monthly sales numbers of BCNranking, and the 645D outsells both the a900 and the D3x, and seems to be close behind the D3s.
09-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #130

someone at dpreview just posted a link to a photozone.de forum exchange re the k-5. go down to about the middle of the exchange re the k-5 is discussed. pentaxians will be pleased...i think. maybe i shouldn't be so sure, there's always someone with a complaint.

Photozone - What? No Olympus E-5 bashing? -
09-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #131

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
someone at dpreview just posted a link to a photozone.de forum exchange re the k-5. go down to about the middle of the exchange re the k-5 is discussed. pentaxians will be pleased...i think. maybe i shouldn't be so sure, there's always someone with a complaint.

Photozone - What? No Olympus E-5 bashing? -

Some interesting opinions in there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Klaus, Chief Editor, photozone.de:

"The K-5/7 is a D300 class body, the D7000 is an upgraded D90 or downgraded D300, whatever you wish."

"I think there's absolutely no doubt that Pentax has, by far, the best APS-C lineup out there. It's not even a close call. Full format lenses on APS-C DSLRs are always a compromise - at least in terms of size/weight."
09-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #132
Veteran Member

I am hoping the K-5 would be a contender to compete with 7D and D300s, not D7000. I don't think it is a bad situation; if K-5 turns out to be similar to D7000 in spec, it will find it's market price to be close to that - then I still would choose K-5 over D7000 since I already have most of the glass I need.

A year ago when the K-7 came out, someone Rice*** predicted the demise of the Pentax and worried about its future. A year later, we have the K-r and K-5. Next year or later, we will have K-3 etc. I am not nervous, just excited to see how this unfold.
09-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the Katzeyes for the K7 will fit just fine in the K5, since the body is pretty much the same, just as the grip for one will fit the other.
Hopefully but really we don't know for sure just yet! They may have re engineered the mirror box...
09-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I am hoping the K-5 would be a contender to compete with 7D and D300s, not D7000. I don't think it is a bad situation; if K-5 turns out to be similar to D7000 in spec, it will find it's market price to be close to that - then I still would choose K-5 over D7000 since I already have most of the glass I need.

A year ago when the K-7 came out, someone Rice*** predicted the demise of the Pentax and worried about its future. A year later, we have the K-r and K-5. Next year or later, we will have K-3 etc. I am not nervous, just excited to see how this unfold.
Simply Put...Ditto.
09-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #135
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by music_lover Quote

Could there be anything more important that SR....which is not on the Nikon.......any Nikon! It is a huge difference, and when removed, places a severe handicap on anyone used to having it.
Best Regards!