Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #46
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
a55 exciting?
It is barely interesting (to me); because it is a sort of an hybrid concept, why not after all but what does it bring new? Compactness (compared to DSLR but not compared to EVIL) and EVF (and so, lack of OVF). Otherwise... I don't see the point. You still can't put it into a pocket and it takes 'big' SLR lenses.

I can't see the excitement ...

10-19-2010, 01:44 AM   #47
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
a55 exciting?
It is barely interesting (to me); because it is a sort of an hybrid concept, why not after all but what does it bring new? Compactness (compared to DSLR but not compared to EVIL) and EVF (and so, lack of OVF). Otherwise... I don't see the point. You still can't put it into a pocket and it takes 'big' SLR lenses.

I can't see the excitement ...
I too have a real problem understanding the interest in the A55. Seems like a quite boring compromise camera to me. If I were interested enough in video to want a real hybrid camera, I'd be looking at the GH2 instead, I think.
10-19-2010, 03:38 AM   #48
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 27
I have looked at it, and like it a lot, but it cost about twice as much. I only have 1 other lens for my k10. I take lots of landscapes on yearly vacations and kinda like the panoramic feature of the A33/55. I've thought about buying the sigma 10-20mm for the landscapes and letting that do the job. I'M HAVING
10-19-2010, 03:52 AM   #49
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Grand Rapids
Photos: Albums
Posts: 193
I played with a sony a33 at wolf camera and came away pretty impressed. its smoking fast, but i really dont want a small camera. Like someone else said, whats the point of a compact SLR if it doesnt fit in your pocket? Id rather have ergonomics of my K200d.

My wife wants an A33/55 because she uses video a lot and doesnt want to constantly chase our son with the focus ring.

10-19-2010, 04:44 AM   #50
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,253
QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I played with a sony a33 at wolf camera and came away pretty impressed. its smoking fast, but i really dont want a small camera. Like someone else said, whats the point of a compact SLR if it doesnt fit in your pocket? Id rather have ergonomics of my K200d.

My wife wants an A33/55 because she uses video a lot and doesnt want to constantly chase our son with the focus ring.
If you do a lot of video, it probably makes sense. Unfortunately, it seems like you take a hit on the still photography performance as a result. That translucent mirror is a double edged sword. The kr will probably beat the a33 in most other respects.
10-19-2010, 06:40 AM   #51
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
My wife wants an A33/55 because she uses video a lot and doesnt want to constantly chase our son with the focus ring.
Are there any compelling reasons (except maybe better high ISO performance) for choosing the A33 or A55 over the GH2 if video is important?
10-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #52
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bloomfield CO
Posts: 21
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
For the record, the D200 did *not* have the same sensor as the K10D, but a faster version (4-channel readout instead of 2 or something of the sort). The D80, however, did have the same sensor as the K10D. And the Sony A100 as well.


One thing puzzles me a bit when I look at the specs of the D7000 and those of the A55 and the rumoured K-5: the former's ISO range is listed as 100-6400 with 12800 and 25600 "expanded", while the latter are both specified as 200-12800, with 100 and 25600 "expanded".

There's also the fact that the D7000's sensor is reported to do 14-bit output at full speed, something the "stock" Sony EXMOR sensor does not do.

So I think it's highly likely that Nikon is using a customized version of the Sony sensor for the D7000, but not the exact same one as the A55, and the K-5 will presumably use.

What that says about the ISO and DR performance of the K-5 remains to be seen. From what DPreview says about the A55, I think we have reasons to be optimistic.
yes wait time will tell, keeping my fingers crossed
10-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #53
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perth Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,511
im not sure that the d7000 has the same sensor as the k-5.

DPR shows the sensors to be different physical sizes.

and even if they are the rest of the electronics inside wont be the same and this is still a large factor in the final output.

10-20-2010, 03:25 AM   #54
Pentaxian
bobmaxja's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Laval, Quebec Canada
Posts: 1,736
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
im not sure that the d7000 has the same sensor as the k-5.

DPR shows the sensors to be different physical sizes.

and even if they are the rest of the electronics inside wont be the same and this is still a large factor in the final output.
The sensor is the same, but every company exploit the data out of it diffently
10-20-2010, 04:32 AM   #55
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: italy
Posts: 411
QuoteOriginally posted by dmgabe Quote
Nikon has stated that the D7000 sensor is built by Sony to Nikon specifications. Also, it is easy to see how much more Nikon can get out of the same sensor than Sony can by looking at the a900 and D3X. I know the prices aren't even close, but they use the same sensor, and the D3X blows the Sony out of the water.

If only Pentax would have released, or at least mentioned an actual pro camera. I would have loved to stick with the brand, but in the end had to leave for greener pastures, and I am loving my D700. Just wish I didn't have to spend so much to make the transition.

the k20 k7 k5 are all pro camera as good as d700..it0's not the camera that makes a pro it's the man behind...and your gallery show exactly my point.
10-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #56
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 43
Wow, the ISO make me want trow my gear to trashcan,
damn.....
10-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #57
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Grand Rapids
Photos: Albums
Posts: 193
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Are there any compelling reasons (except maybe better high ISO performance) for choosing the A33 or A55 over the GH2 if video is important?
Price.
10-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #58
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
Sony A77 with 24MP Sensor

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I too have a real problem understanding the interest in the A55. Seems like a quite boring compromise camera to me. If I were interested enough in video to want a real hybrid camera, I'd be looking at the GH2 instead, I think.
"According to my sources Sony has chosen to use a completely new sensor for the upcoming professional SLT (Translucent) camera. The sensor will have 24 Megapixels but donít worry, I have been told the noise performance of the sensor is equal if not better than current 14-16 Megapixels Sony sensors used for the NEX and A33/A55 cameras. It will feature the highest resolution APS-C camera on market (The Canon 7D is on top with the 18 Megapixel sensor). The Sony A77 will be released by mid 2011 because Sony needed time to develop an almost perfect camera. There will be many innovations (Paul Genge of Sony UK said that ďthis camera will include such high specification features that current A700 owners will be amazedď). It will have an improved BIONZ processor (based on the current A33/A55 processor), micro af adjustment and record 1080/30p, 720p60 and 720p30 (But we canít exclude last minute improvements like 1080p24). I also do know that Sony original plan was to release the A750 with Optical Viewfinder but I donít know yet if Sony will indeed bring that prototype to the market (letís say there is a 50% chance)."

sonyalpharumors | Home


Sony A77 with 24MP Sensor Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources
10-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #59
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The sensor will have 24 Megapixels but donít worry, I have been told the noise performance of the sensor is equal if not better than current 14-16 Megapixels Sony sensors used for the NEX and A33/A55 cameras.
Good news for the K-3
10-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #60
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 119
QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
the k20 k7 k5 are all pro camera as good as d700..it0's not the camera that makes a pro it's the man behind...and your gallery show exactly my point.
Your first point is incorrect. Once you have held and used a real pro camera then you will see and feel the difference.

Your second point is correct that it's not the camera, but the man. Man can only make up so many shortcomings though and in the same situation, with the same man, the pro camera will always do a better job and do it faster.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
d7000, iso, jpeg, k-5, nikon, pentax news, pentax rumors, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D7000 pictured deadwolfbones Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 10-18-2010 04:19 AM
Nikon D7000 officially announced! JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 41 10-04-2010 02:30 PM
K-x Sony Sensor vs K-7 Samsung Sensor karl79 Video and Pentax HDSLRs 9 09-23-2010 09:35 AM
Will the Pentax K5 have 16MP from sony? Belnan Pentax News and Rumors 19 09-10-2010 06:06 AM
Does the K10 have a sony sensor or not? slip Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 11-23-2006 02:49 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top