Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Yes, that's a valid reason (except that it gives you less DOF, not more )
what I meant by more, is because you can get more shallow DOF.

10-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #77
Veteran Member

In regards to DoF:

How much/little do you need? How much is too much and how narrow is to narrow?

85mm lens on a 5D - f/2 & 12' of distance = 8.6" DoF
55mm Lens on a K-7 - f/2 & 12' of distance - 13.1" DoF.

That 5"s is not going to make a significant difference for the vast majority of subjects.
10-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #78
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
the k20 k7 k5 are all pro camera as good as d700..it0's not the camera that makes a pro it's the man behind...and your gallery show exactly my point.
While I didn't check the gallery I can equivocally tell you that the K10/K20/K7 (I've never held a K-5) are not even in the same ballpark as the D700. The responsiveness and speed (outside of shooting speed, I mean speed of everything) leaves the Pentax offerings in the venerable dust. That is simply a fact.

Pentax do not make a professional camera (I'm not going to get into an argument about the 645D), they make enthusiast cameras and they are amazing at what they do. Until they have a full lens line and a support infrastructure for their users that will all they will be.

Can you take great pictures with a Pentax? Of course you can (I started my business using Pentax), but don't for a second think that the K line and the D700 are the same league, because they are not.

c[_]
10-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
While I didn't check the gallery I can equivocally tell you that the K10/K20/K7 (I've never held a K-5) are not even in the same ballpark as the D700. The responsiveness and speed (outside of shooting speed, I mean speed of everything) leaves the Pentax offerings in the venerable dust. That is simply a fact.
The K-5 now leaves the D700 in the dust(yes its true). It does this in DR, and low light performance where the D700 has long reached its theoretical limits. Call it what you will, but the D700 is more along the lines of a brick in contrast to the efficiency that comes from K-5 camera.

I guess in this sense, we could say the K-5 runs circles around the D700
Perhaps if it wasn't so big and heavy, it would have a chance?

Anyways, I'll be throwing mine in the trash just as soon as I receive a K-5 this spring.

10-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #80
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
The K-5 now leaves the D700 in the dust(yes its true). It does this in DR, and low light performance where the D700 has long reached its theoretical limits. Call it what you will, but the D700 is more along the lines of a brick in contrast to the efficiency that comes from K-5 camera.

Anyways, I'll be throwing mine in the trash just as soon as I receive a K-5 this spring.
now that's funny!

Let me know if you are gonna "throw" your D700 in the trash. I'll be more than happy to take that piece of garbage off of your hands...

c[_]
10-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #81
Veteran Member

I'll gladly take it from you for $100.
10-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Well I'm sure then that there will be 100's of 2nd hand D700's and 5D MK11's for next to nothing on the market soon - as their users will be throwing them in the trash with their exodus to Pentax;-)

10-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The Sony A77 will be released by mid 2011 because Sony needed time to develop an almost perfect camera.
Haha, what have they been doing up to now -- just throwing stuff out the door to see what happens?
10-30-2010, 07:40 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Chase Jarvis, the photographer who made a promotional video for the Nikon D7000, posted a ISO3200 JPEG on his blog. Since this is most likely the same sensor as will be in the K-5, this may give an indication for the K-5 High ISO performance (of course, high ISO output will not be the exact same, but the K-x proved Pentax can process high ISO just as well as Nikon can, if anything).

You can find it here.
==================================

Where the D7000 TRUMPS the K5 is that it does continuous AUTOFOCUS in video @ 1080P.

10-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote

Where the D7000 TRUMPS the K5 is that it does continuous AUTOFOCUS in video @ 1080P.
That if does...
10-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

]
Looking at the speed of focus in live view, Pentax could fairly easily add that as a feature. The issue is that it tends to hunt a lot when used with video. You can see that in some of the road scenes on this video, where clearly the camera is trying to re focus. In that particular situation, manual focus would have likely worked better. Also, this particular video has most of the actual camera focusing situations cut out.

I still would like to see Pentax add auto focus to video, with the caveat that it won't look nice in many situations and will add a lot of extra noise to video when used with non SDM lenses.
10-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Originally posted by Rite

That if does... __________________
Click here to see the No. 1 reason why I will be buying a K-5 this year!
=================================

Fine. But honestly, how often do you shoot over 800 ISO?
10-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Looking at the speed of focus in live view, Pentax could fairly easily add that as a feature.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda? Why DIDN'T they? :ugh:
10-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

=================================

Fine. But honestly, how often do you shoot over 800 ISO?
I think a lot of people talk negatively in the past about high iso because it really hasn't been that good. This has been full frame territory till very recently and if it doesn't look good, who will use it? Clearly if dynamic range suffers, colors look bad and noise crops up, no one wants that.

I wish I could shoot more at iso 3200 to 6400. Considering that there are many times that flash is intrusive and yet I can't get shutter speeds that eliminate subject motion, I would use it more if it looked good. I certainly would use it more than I would ever use auto focus in video on an SLR.

Who knows what Pentax will add in firmware with regard to auto focus? I certainly don't, but I do know that those who shoot professionally don't use autofocus in video mode.

You could ask the same question about why Pentax didn't have more frames available in its buffer that they have just made available through firmware. It seems clear that Pentax rushed the camera to market and have been adding features to it until the last second.
10-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #90
Veteran Member

AFAIK, D7k users in Nikon forums consider the continuous AF in video a marketing gimmick which doesn't prove useful in real life.

The K-5 CAF could do better though if Pentax lowers their requirement for released features. But maybe, it isn't a bad thing they don't