Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Until I see RAW files processed by LR3 it does not matter.

Even if it is the same sensor there can be a lot of variation. The color filter and low pass filter will be different and both Nikon and Pentax will chose differently. The new E-5 does not even have a low-pass filter as the work is done with software. Pentax will decide how much amplification to apply at each ISO since there is no standard. Rumor was that Nikon applied their own micro-lenses to the Sony sensors, and that they lease space inside the Sony fabrication plant. Who knows.

Will Pentax choose a heavier color filter for better colors, or a lighter filter for better high-ISO?
Will Pentax select a heavy AA filter or have they developed the software to deal with the issues in processing?

Canon uses a light color filter to get better high ISO performance, but the Canon colors always seem to be a bit off to me, but better RAW processing and color profiles definitely help.

The Sony A900 has a heavier than normal color filter, but produces some of the best colors of any camera in its class.

Anyway. Even if Pentax/Nikon/Sony are all using the same sensor there can be a significant difference in the images given all the variables.

Of course this could be a pointless argument if the K-5 comes out with the 18MP Sony sensor that is rumored to be going into the A700 replacement. Sony uses sensors to differentiate its bodies more than most. Since they make their own it makes it easier for them to do this.

09-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Looks good. No "pattern" noise and chroma noise can be handled in gimp/photoshop/etc.
I agree, the noise is pretty pleasant. That said, it looks to be about average ISO 3200 performance for a recent crop sensor, nothing spectacular.

If we really were to believe the claims that keep cropping up about how every new sensor is something like "a stop" better than the previous, we'd all be shooting noise free 102400 by now...
09-16-2010, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Imo aps-c CCD sensor at 100 iso 10/12mp still gives better per pixel sharpness than all these aps-c high iso cmos sensors

I constantly check out these pics and then refer to my K10D and feel I'm not missing anything.

But when looking at files from a FF - only then do I see a quantifiable improvement worth spending the extra moola.
09-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Imo aps-c CCD sensor at 100 iso 10/12mp still gives better per pixel sharpness than all these aps-c high iso cmos sensors

I constantly check out these pics and then refer to my K10D and feel I'm not missing anything.

But when looking at files from a FF - only then do I see a quantifiable improvement worth spending the extra moola.
I totally agree...Here is a JPEG compressed 9/12 in Photoshop to fit in the Gallery, therefore not the best quality.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-highlighting-k10d-sensor-21566/

Attached Images

Last edited by benjikan; 09-16-2010 at 03:35 PM.
09-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Lovely and thanks for backing up my statement:-)
09-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

Agreed. ISO 100 in daylight from K10d looks better than any other camera since. High ISO's have definitely been getting batter, but low ISOs have also been getting worse. K-7 was a decent compromise I think, but K-x was too soft in the low ISOs. I hope the K-5 still has a strong priority on the lower ISOs, where most of us do most of our shooting.
09-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, am I the only one seeing the blue everywhere? Apparently according to my friend and his calibrated monitor there is no blue in the shadows

09-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Agreed. ISO 100 in daylight from K10d looks better than any other camera since. High ISO's have definitely been getting batter, but low ISOs have also been getting worse. K-7 was a decent compromise I think, but K-x was too soft in the low ISOs. I hope the K-5 still has a strong priority on the lower ISOs, where most of us do most of our shooting.
Agreed, if the k7 does low iso better than the k5 i will be upgrading to k7. Low iso tests is what i care about.
09-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Agreed, if the k7 does low iso better than the k5 i will be upgrading to k7. Low iso tests is what i care about.
I shoot with two K-7's right now, and I will likely pick up a K-5 for the better AF and high ISO. But I get the feeling that I'll still be reaching for the K-7 a lot when it's low ISO conditions.

There's a very obvious trend away from Pentax's older priorities of sharpness and color rendition. I think that their priorities were great, and I think the color and sharpness of k10 through K-7 beats anything out there that I've seen. I constantly get remarks on my images about them. But Pentax made a clear deviation from standard practices with the K-x, and in my opinion, it does great in High ISO, but it just shoots like a canon. Soft details, washed out colors, no contrast. They made a good stand, but when no matter what they do, people just bitch about the high ISO and how is not as good as blah blah canikon, while ignoring the trade-offs, that in my opinion are well worth it, they had to cave in eventually.
09-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Those D700 sample shows me very heavy handed noise reduction past 800 iso, no defined detail or texture. When we see raw results we'll know better. This is like the 7D vs 5D scenario, the 7D's sensor was out resolving what lenses could project on the sensor making it look soft and muddy, the 5D images just looked that much better. The 50D as well to a point had the same problem but that was due to crappy kit lenses giving people the impression that canon had soft details, washed out colours and no contrast ( well ok it probably is still true for all the xxD series canons still ).

So lets wait to see what the K-5 does in raw first then I'll see if it can join the K20D, theres and empty spot where a K7 used to be in the bag.
09-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Those D700 sample shows me very heavy handed noise reduction past 800 iso, no defined detail or texture. When we see raw results we'll know better. This is like the 7D vs 5D scenario, the 7D's sensor was out resolving what lenses could project on the sensor making it look soft and muddy, the 5D images just looked that much better. The 50D as well to a point had the same problem but that was due to crappy kit lenses giving people the impression that canon had soft details, washed out colours and no contrast ( well ok it probably is still true for all the xxD series canons still ).

So lets wait to see what the K-5 does in raw first then I'll see if it can join the K20D, theres and empty spot where a K7 used to be in the bag.
Nikon's jpegs have always sucked.... RAW is where its at 100% in nikon land.
09-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
For the record, the D200 did *not* have the same sensor as the K10D, but a faster version (4-channel readout instead of 2 or something of the sort). The D80, however, did have the same sensor as the K10D. And the Sony A100 as well.

One thing puzzles me a bit when I look at the specs of the D7000 and those of the A55 and the rumoured K-5: the former's ISO range is listed as 100-6400 with 12800 and 25600 "expanded", while the latter are both specified as 200-12800, with 100 and 25600 "expanded".

There's also the fact that the D7000's sensor is reported to do 14-bit output at full speed, something the "stock" Sony EXMOR sensor does not do.

So I think it's highly likely that Nikon is using a customized version of the Sony sensor for the D7000, but not the exact same one as the A55, and the K-5 will presumably use.

What that says about the ISO and DR performance of the K-5 remains to be seen. From what DPreview says about the A55, I think we have reasons to be optimistic.
Your might be correct. i beleive as a sensor manufacture you can ask them to make you one based on your specs. I believe pentax is capable to develop a sensor based on the basic sony snesor then modified to pentax specs.
09-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #43

Nikon has stated that the D7000 sensor is built by Sony to Nikon specifications. Also, it is easy to see how much more Nikon can get out of the same sensor than Sony can by looking at the a900 and D3X. I know the prices aren't even close, but they use the same sensor, and the D3X blows the Sony out of the water.

If only Pentax would have released, or at least mentioned an actual pro camera. I would have loved to stick with the brand, but in the end had to leave for greener pastures, and I am loving my D700. Just wish I didn't have to spend so much to make the transition.
10-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #44

When I read about the A55, I became giddy. I'll probably sell all of my Pentax K10D stuff. I'v ehad it for a three years, and it has been a joy. But, I want something exciting, and I think that's the A33 or the 55.

rangerbob
10-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rangerbob36 Quote
When I read about the A55, I became giddy. I'll probably sell all of my Pentax K10D stuff. I'v ehad it for a three years, and it has been a joy. But, I want something exciting, and I think that's the A33 or the 55.

rangerbob
Have you even looked at the K5? Looks pretty good to me...