Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 02:03 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Nobody wants insensitive AF points. Small doesn't mean insensitive.
Small is only good for tracking.
The smaller a sensor gets the less light sensitive it is.
Also the larger the measuring base, the smaller will be the residual error.

09-17-2010, 02:12 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
LOL

(Is it just me that sees the irony in this statement)
No, no... you're not alone
09-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I'm not so sure that is how it works. A smaller sensor looks at a smaller area, but light/area would be the same so the sensitivity shouldn't change.
09-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
It wouldn't matter....well not for me anyway.

The current "High-precision 11-point wide-frame AF" system that we've all grown to know is perfect for stationary subjects but horrible for tracking small subjects.

More AF points would/could/should allow for different AF configurations as needed. Being able to switch between the current wide-frame and/or a tight-frame, (to assist with tracking small subjects), is why I'd like to see more AF points.

bazz.
Why is that? You do realize that the AF points are so wide that there aren't really gaps between the AF-points? When tracking small objects, they will very rarely fit "between" AF points (there is a gap between diagonal points, though)

The coverage with day a 39-point AF camera is the very close for fast objects moving around the frame, it's just that they can have the option for more precision with slower-moving objects (i.e. focus on model's left eyeball).

09-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #65
Veteran Member

To hell with more AF points, just make a camera that makes people love the pictures they take and you will sell all you can produce.
There are allot of other problems that concern most of the pentaxians and it's not AF points.
09-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #66
Veteran Member

so,last contact is done and the fact about the same af system like 645 and k-r is very possible.
sure,its good....but its not enough for me to buy it,cause my k-7 does a good job till today.
of course,i can work very good with the k-7 ore the new system,but my wish was a system with more configuration and a complete redesigned af spot field for fine af tracking and other smart things.
but,will hope that the first information is the right one and not the last informations.
only problem is,the last one comes from japan.....
09-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
once the AF is accurate, as fast as my 5D and there is no sensor heat issues I'll be happy. Happier if it can track @ 7-8 fps to, then I'll revive my DA* lenses and have a k-5 for sports stuff vs rental of a 7D
09-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #68
Veteran Member

I agree they need a completely redesigned AF System, the 645 Is better than the K-7 but it's still not up to par with Canikon systems. And I doubt that the SAFOX IX+ is going to be that much better than the K-r's SAFOX IX.
I know no one really gives a chit what I do but, I think I'll stay with Pentax till March of next year to see if anything changes, but now that Nikon has a WR great midrange camera it's getting harder to be loyal.

Last edited by Fl_Gulfer; 09-18-2010 at 10:46 AM.
09-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Also the larger the measuring base, the smaller will be the residual error.
Don't know about tracking, but I would think small is good for precision. I have had to delete some otherwise good photos only because the AF did not lock on the subject. I'd trust AF a lot more if the focusing point areas were smaller.
09-19-2010, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't doubt that there are users of the other focus points, but even in other Forums with other brands, center focus seems to be the wide margin favorite. "Just" eleven should not be a deal breaker...should it? No SR...now that is a deal breaker for me.

I think it is hard to get everything we want in one camera, and although it appears that the K5 will come very close for my needs, I sure don't want to say that it will or should fit everyone. Mostly, you have to be happy with what you shoot with, and if you aren't, the fun is gone. Whatever the brand, I want everyone to have the camera that best suits their needs. This is a lot of enjoyment for most of us, and with life being so short....we need to enjoy to the fullest extent.
Best Regards!
09-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I don't doubt that there are users of the other focus points, but even in other Forums with other brands, center focus seems to be the wide margin favorite. "Just" eleven should not be a deal breaker...should it? No SR...now that is a deal breaker for me.

I think it is hard to get everything we want in one camera, and although it appears that the K5 will come very close for my needs, I sure don't want to say that it will or should fit everyone. Mostly, you have to be happy with what you shoot with, and if you aren't, the fun is gone. Whatever the brand, I want everyone to have the camera that best suits their needs. This is a lot of enjoyment for most of us, and with life being so short....we need to enjoy to the fullest extent.
Best Regards!
Thank you Rupert! I couldn't have said it better myself if I worked on it for a week.
09-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #72

Photos: Gallery
Yes, more focus points helps for tracking (as opposed to simple AF-C) because when the subject 'leaves' one focus point it is more quickly caught by another.

More focus points do not help with focus speeds unless they are on top of each other. Anyone tried Sony's dual-cross system should know.

As someone pointed out 11 'awesome' points is beaten by 12 'super' points from a marketing perspective because 12 is more than 11. That's why some camera specs say thing like '19 points including 8 assist points'... So we just have to count. Even Nikon knows its a pain to select between 51-points, so in most modes you select a group of points and the camera chooses among them.

Having many focus points is useful too when shooting from a tripod.. but you can usually shoot manually almost just as easily in such case.

I personally use the center point 98% of the time, so I'd like to see Pentax make an obsolutely instant central point... maybe quad-cross or star-formation point

- Itai
09-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #73
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Itai Quote
So we just have to count. Even Nikon knows its a pain to select between 51-points, so in most modes you select a group of points and the camera chooses among them.
it's easy to set 39, 21 or 11 AF points in D7000.
the same in D300.

but it's unreal to make 39 from 11 AF points