Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Pentax Imaging

Mark Sherengo, Pentax Imaging: "We're going to bring to the market a different product, as we mentioned, mirrorless Four Thirds category. We're going to bring something that is just a little bit more individual, flexible, and to really penetrate different kinds of markets from the early adopters of young female, 13 to 23, to maybe the mother segment, maybe to corporations, so it's just something different."

Mirrorless Models Bring New Growth - 2010-08-30 04:06:00 | TWICE

Thanks To Ron Brand/BrandRx at DPR: Pentax product will be different, supposedly.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

09-17-2010, 06:54 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P« Quote
Heres a radical idea .. release somthing BEFORE anyone else instead of just following all the time.
That way you can't have less sales than them
Radical indeed!
But that was Olympus, and even in that way it didn't work. Remember they introduced live-view in the DSLR market, among other innovations now used everywhere?
09-17-2010, 06:56 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
...from the early adopters of young female, 13 to 23, to maybe the mother segment, maybe to corporations, so it's just something different."
...fear...
09-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
So that only means a bigger market for interesting lenses
Hmm, that's a good point But I think current m4/3 sensors s**k, it would be better that Pentax uses APS-C (maybe even Sony E-mount?). OR something much smaller to make a really tiny system: if somebody could make a sensor in the large gap between the 1/1.6" sensors and 4/3 sensors.

09-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Why not, there are not that many interesting m4/3-native lenses out yet.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a new short-flange narrow-diameter mount (e.g. both 28 mm) together with a K-mount adapter with built-in screw drive AF motor? How much place does the AF motor of current bodies take up?
Any mirrorless camera that Pentax develops will have to be able to use K mount lenses to be successful. It should also have to be able to use DA and FA lenses and retain full auto focus and exposure or nobody is likely to buy one. Pentax will want to keep selling their lenses. The smaller LTD's would work nicely on the small camera body and they aren't SDM. I don't know if they can make that happen with a micro 4/3 or not. There are already adapters available for m4/3 to mount just about any lens you can think of on those camera bodys but I think most of them is for manual operation only. I might be wrong as I am only looking at ads, not specs.
09-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #21

would it be possible for pentax to add an additional lens in the body that reduces the registration distance of k-mount lenses thereby allowing for a thinner body? perhaps making aps-c or even ff evil with full k-mount compatability in a much thinner body?
09-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #22
emr

Mark Sherengo, Pentax Imaging: "We're going to bring to the market a different product, as we mentioned, mirrorless Four Thirds category. We're going to bring something that is just a little bit more individual, flexible, and to really penetrate different kinds of markets from the early adopters of young female, 13 to 23, to maybe the mother segment, maybe to corporations, so it's just something different."
Please, somebody tell this isn't a real Pentax Imaging presentative but some camera news parody. Please!
09-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Let's hope for a nice Auto 110D mirrorless camera.

09-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Just suppose ......

Pentax were to do a deal with Sony to pressure the others: share the new Sony mount.

A pox upon CNOP.

The third parties (Sigma, Tamron, et al.) have to look at prospective sales volumes before building to a mount. Sony + Pentax may be enough to tip the scale and get glass we want into production.

Doesn't mean that Pentax and Sony cannot design and/or adapt and/or build their own. Many have have noted that Pentax does not have the revenue and customer base to cover the desired range of lenses. We need the third parties and we're more likely to get them if they can lump our sales volume with another maker.

A K-mount adapter is already available and, with Pentax support, perhaps a new and more capable (AF) adapter can be developed.

Pentax and Sony have executed a series of sensor deals so the business relationship, important in Japanese business, is already in place. I will assume it's a good relationship until someone can convince me otherwise.

Sony sensors have been generally well-received by the Pentax community and the market in general. They seem to be an excellent partner.

We're both more worried about CNOP than we are each other. Why not?
09-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #25
Pentaxian

PS: I am not particularly fond of Sony or their products in general. No fan boy here. Just thinking when I should be doing something else.
09-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Mirrorless Models Bring New Growth - 2010-08-30 04:06:00 | TWICE

Thanks To Ron Brand/BrandRx at DPR: Pentax product will be different, supposedly.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Hello Kitty EVIL!
09-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #27
Pentaxian

We've had discussion of the import of the word "category".

I'm not quite ready to read a great deal into the 4/3 reference.
09-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #28
Veteran Member

EVIL women Pentax Power, a whole new dimension to PP
09-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

May I suggest a new Pentax spokesman?

09-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Hmm, that's a good point if somebody could make a sensor in the large gap between the 1/1.6" sensors and 4/3 sensors.
That's been done - early "bridge" cameras like my ancient Sony F717 have a 2/3" sensor.