Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hoya on EVIL: "We want to release products with an individuality that shines through"

More evidence, if somewhat circumstancial, that Hoya/Pentax are coming with their own mirrorless camera.

QuoteQuote:
"In Japan, in particular, the mirrorless camera market is growing and is positioned to capture approximately 30% of the SLR market.

[...]

Overseas, mirrorless cameras are selling to some degree in the United Kingdom. Manufacturers may not have got around to sales yet but one way or other the mirrorless cameras are starting to catch on, and all companies will be focusing on sales from now. I think they will have about 30% of the global SLR market within two years or so.

[...]

We have looked carefully at the situation but since sales are not good even when we release the same products as other companies, we would like to release products with an individuality that shines through.”
Mirrorless Rumors | Home

09-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, the key words are "we would like" ...
09-17-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

To avoid more comment about "Pentax is doomed", everybody shall that note that Hoya's representative was speaking about compact cameras on his last quote.

The compact camera lineup is not very exciting, and this is an understatement.

If Pentax would sell a "Leica X1", or even better with an optical viewfinder (and mayde some focus indications) i would certainly digg for such a compact camera.
09-17-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
Forum Member

Well, the other way to read the last words quoted here is:
if we don't find something to distinguish our product, we are not going to make mirrorless cameras...

09-17-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

With Canon rumored to be releasing a what appears to be a very significant mirrorless camera in the 2Q of 2011, one would think Pentax will be headed that direction within the next 2 years. Especially since they sell so well in Japan.
09-17-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
With Canon rumored to be releasing a what appears to be a very significant mirrorless camera in the 2Q of 2011, one would think Pentax will be headed that direction within the next 2 years. Especially since they sell so well in Japan.
The real thinking around here it that what's hot at the moment is "big sensor, mirrorless camera" The Leica X1 sells well too in spite of its premium price.

So anything like EVIL, Compact camera with big sensor (like X1), or even telemetric camera (with an electronic coupling if a new mount has to be developped) can be relevant.
09-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I'd say any brand willing to stay alive has to develop alternatives to the SLR.
The era of a slapping mirror has just started its ending. Perhaps there will be space enough for a 21st century "Leica" (they kept alive the rangefinder), that is to say maybe one make will go on with very expensive and elitarian SLRs...

The cost/benefit proportion does not leave a long life to the traditional systems, and technology is almost ready; look at that cheap SLD with 10fps while it keeps focusing: higher performance, lower production costs...

09-17-2010, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
"with an individuality that shines through"
I'm guessing mirrorless cameras in pink, yellow, purple with orange spots, lego-covered...
09-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alessandro63 Quote
I'd say any brand willing to stay alive has to develop alternatives to the SLR.
The era of a slapping mirror has just started its ending. Perhaps there will be space enough for a 21st century "Leica" (they kept alive the rangefinder), that is to say maybe one make will go on with very expensive and elitarian SLRs...

The cost/benefit proportion does not leave a long life to the traditional systems, and technology is almost ready; look at that cheap SLD with 10fps while it keeps focusing: higher performance, lower production costs...
The SLR didn't ended the telemeter era (Leica remainded king of the photojournalist comunity until the autofocus)

SLR will remain an important design for higher end camera, where Evil will stand in the future is another question. I'm quite sure I'll still use SLR in many year.
09-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
The SLR didn't ended the telemeter era (Leica remainded king of the photojournalist comunity until the autofocus)
SLR will remain an important design for higher end camera, where Evil will stand in the future is another question. I'm quite sure I'll still use SLR in many year.
Of course it's not going to be an instantaneous event!
But once you can give the same quality and higher performances at a cheaper cost, I can assure it's not going to be our own choice what we will use in some years.

Personally, if it existed at a "human" price, I'd use a rangefinder.
And perhaps I will not have money enough to buy a DSLR, in some years.
09-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it would be rather idiotic if Pentax admitted mirrorless is going to be a big market, then explain how they would envision a mirrorless camera themselves, but in the end not make one.

My guess is we'll see a prototype next week at Photokina

Though, his remark about 'individuality' does point to their own mount. I'd rather they joined m43 or another existing mount. I don't think Pentax is strong enough as a brand to carry its own mirrorless mount, but we'll see.
09-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
i think it would be rather idiotic if pentax admitted mirrorless is going to be a big market, then explain how they would envision a mirrorless camera themselves, but in the end not make one.
See this post above: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1184089
09-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Heres a radical idea .. release somthing BEFORE anyone else instead of just following all the time.

That way you can't have less sales than them
09-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Though, his remark about 'individuality' does point to their own mount. I'd rather they joined m43 or another existing mount. I don't think Pentax is strong enough as a brand to carry its own mirrorless mount, but we'll see.
Why not, there are not that many interesting m4/3-native lenses out yet.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a new short-flange narrow-diameter mount (e.g. both 28 mm) together with a K-mount adapter with built-in screw drive AF motor? How much place does the AF motor of current bodies take up?
09-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Why not, there are not that many interesting m4/3-native lenses out yet.
So that only means a bigger market for interesting lenses