Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Ok, just clearing something up:

The Twentieth of September: is it the Japanese 20th or the American 20th?

09-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Ok, just clearing something up:

The Twentieth of September: is it the Japanese 20th or the American 20th?
What's more relevant is whether it'll be the German 20th or the Japanese 20th. They might schedule the announcement according to where the company is located, or where Photokina is located. I guess we'll find out on monday.
09-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing like a little anticipation. This is the rumour section.

It could be a busy day. I'm wondering if N*on is going to announce a replacement for the D300s on the same day.
09-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #49
Forum Member

The point is that Pentax have c*cked up the marketing of this product big time. All the other manufacturers have got their main Photokina announcements out of the way before the opening, and put preproduction models in the hands of the photo mags.

I've just bought this month's edition of Chasseur d'Images, France's main mag. They rave about the K-r; but also about the D7000.

Pentax - boat seriously missed. It really doesn't matter how good or bad the K5 is, it's already dead in the water.

09-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tringle WP Quote
The point is that Pentax have c*cked up the marketing of this product big time. All the other manufacturers have got their main Photokina announcements out of the way before the opening, and put preproduction models in the hands of the photo mags.

I've just bought this month's edition of Chasseur d'Images, France's main mag. They rave about the K-r; but also about the D7000.

Pentax - boat seriously missed. It really doesn't matter how good or bad the K5 is, it's already dead in the water.
So what? The K-5 will be the star of next month's magazine. No doubt Pentax has got preproduction models out to magazines and such.
09-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I personally cannot wait until we have the K-3!!! I dream it will be awesome.

Jason
09-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
What's more relevant is whether it'll be the German 20th or the Japanese 20th. They might schedule the announcement according to where the company is located, or where Photokina is located. I guess we'll find out on monday.
German? Didn't the move the headquarters to france? or am I missing something?

09-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #53
Inactive Account

If Pentax ever market something properly, then you should start worrying.
09-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #54
Inactive Account

maybe you should go work for pentax, tell them a thing or two about your marketing prowess.

no doubt, pentax always saves the best for last.
how good will the k5 be is anyone's guess.
but there's nothing wrong with having a grand entrance.

i wouldn't be surprised if canon announces another body by photokina.

surprises, surprises. keeps you on your toes.
09-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #55
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
German? Didn't the move the headquarters to france? or am I missing something?
You're missing the post that you quoted yourself. Where the company is located = Japan. Where Photokina is located = Germany.
09-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
the K-5 needs to be MORE than just a K-7 with a better sensor. and "improved AF algorithms" won't cut it.

that may have been enough before the 7D and D7000, but its not enough anymore.
Personally, I don't think it needs much more. Yes, there are some minor things I think they could do, but the sensor and the AF are the two key performance features I will be looking at.

Other than a much improved sensor and AF what is next on the must have list?

Better VF
Better SR
Quieter shutter
Tethering
Faster frame rate
Better Contrast AF

I'm sure there are people who want better HD video performance.
09-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #57
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Personally, I don't think it needs much more. Yes, there are some minor things I think they could do, but the sensor and the AF are the two key performance features I will be looking at.

Other than a much improved sensor and AF what is next on the must have list?

Better VF
Better SR
Quieter shutter
Tethering
Faster frame rate
Better Contrast AF

I'm sure there are people who want better HD video performance.
ditto on that. i'll be looking for better IQ and AF, particularly low light AF accuracy and AFc tracking.

minor stuff would be:
1. DFS ability to turn OFF
2. Tethering
3. QuietER shutter (k7 was already pretty good)
4. Video AF
5. Better contrast AF (hopefully the drastic algorithm changes were drastically good )
6. supply the dang k5 w/ an AA battery adapter ala kr yeah, i know the grip takes AA's

for my application, my kx already works pretty good w/ outdoor sports, but i'd like it to be better (who doesn't?)
it's indoor chasing my 18 month around that's failing. dang that flash AF assist. good thing it's all a separate AF assist light now.

my wallet is STILL w/ the k5.
09-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Why ? Do you value the cameras by their announcement date ?
09-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by silverknight Quote
k100d - breaking new ground for lowest price dslr as well as first (?) to have iso3200 in body SR at this price point also adds to the money saved. canikon didnt bundle SR in their kits lenses until much later.
AFAIK, yes.

QuoteQuote:
k20d - highest mpx camera at price point at time of release. first to have micro adj for more than 1 lens in this class (?)
Yes.

QuoteQuote:
k7 - first to have pro body + movie clips (?)
No, the Canon EOS 5DII had a movie mode well before the K-7 (the 5DII was announced late 2008, while the K-7 was announced mid-2009). That still makes the K-7 the second semi-pro/pro DSLR with movie mode, AFAIK.

QuoteQuote:
first to offer 5fps at this price point (?)
AFAIK, yes.
09-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
better flashes
Please, may this be true!

A new, TTL flash metering system would be most welcome (along with really IMPROVED autofocus performance, the top priority, IMHO). My K10D underexposes quite a lot in P-TTL, while my K-7 overexposes by a large margin (especially with bounced flash). Can't have a decent flash exposure without dialing a flash EV compensation of +1 (K10D) or -1.5 (K-7).

A flash system improvement in the spirit of Nikon's i-TTL metering would be awesome.

I always said it. The best camera in the world would have Pentax's optics, weather sealing and ergonomics, Canon's sensors, A/D converters and AF speed & accuracy and Nikon's flash & ambient light metering and 3D AF tracking!

Add the K-x's (and probably K-r's too) noise handling at high ISO and a few rebranded or reegineered lenses from Canon (EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 70-200mm F/4 IS L and EF 70-200mm F/2.8 IS L) and Nikon (AF-S 24mm F/1.4 G, AF-S 14-24mm F/2.8 G), and you get'd the best camera system ever!