09-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i sense its going to be full frame! :P

not really.

09-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nah, there's no K5, it's all just rumours.
09-18-2010, 12:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
The K-r was announced at 12 noon, Japanese time.
Sweet, here in Australia we are 1hr in front of Japan so that will be around 1pm local time here if they anounce it on their noon

Also as for the kit lens, i think the 18-135 WR will be the standard kit lens.
09-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #19

The K-5 will probably be to the K-7 what the K20D was to the K10D. It will build on its predecessor's strengths, while improving on its weaknesses. Not a major change, but a good evolution of a great product.

With the K-x being the king image quality in low light for an APS-C DSLR, Pentax is showing it can offer products with better performance than competitors with much bigger R&D budgets, like Canon and Nikon.

But Pentax still needs to catch up with competitors on two points: the flash system (which is a bit outdated now) and the AF performance (not so much speed, but accuracy and reliability under all sorts of lighting conditions). With cameras like the D300s and the 7D in the same category (spec-wise), and, more important, cameras like the 60D and the D7000 in a similar price range, the K-7 is still far behind competition in terms of AF speed, accuracy and reliability. And I know first hand, having used all three of them (BTW, the 7D is the fastest and more accurate, but the D300s has the best tracking in AF-C — the K-7 just doesn't compare to either one).

A bit more DR at high ISO on the K-5 would be a welcome addition too. My K10D beats my K-7 hands down there (by about a full stop at ISO 1600). But it's not too big of an issue IMHO.

The rest is just perfect as it is: the K-7 has killer ergonomics, excellent image quality at low ISO, decent image quality at high ISO, a silent shutter, a small, light but tough body, a pretty efficient SR mechanism, a super level of customization, intuitive menus, a nice viewfinder, etc.

All these features are huge strengths, but if the K-7's successor is still lagging behind in terms of AF performance, products from competitors will still get the upper hand.

If the K-5 isn't a match for the D7000 or the 60D in terms of AF accuracy, this will just end up being another "Pentax cameras are great for advanced enthusiasts, but for serious photographers doing action or sports photography, they just can't match a Canon or Nikon DSLR". And that'd be sad...

It's about time Pentax cameras match the big two in terms of AF performance! If the new SAFOX AF system is has good as rumors claims it is, the K-5 might be the first Pentax DSLR to be equal or superior to products like the 7D or D300s on ALL aspects, except maybe the flash system, where Nikon is still absolute king (Pentax cannot fight competitors on all fronts at once — the flash system improvement will come in time... let them improve the AF first).

Personally, I got a pretty good feeling about this new AF system.

09-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even though I like to use film and older stuff - I have to admit I'm hanging out for this too
09-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #21

Adam, based on the unofficial specs of the K-5, can you just say that official specs will still be a surprise?
09-18-2010, 01:12 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have plans for an upgrade next year. DS for K-5 sounds attractive. I bought the DS because of my legacy lenses and TTL flash. Is there any chance that TTL will be rediscovered?

09-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

i thought it would be 19th.
09-18-2010, 01:39 AM   #24

How long can I wait - buy now or wait till it is a few months old... Guess we will see how what the release price is ..
09-18-2010, 01:47 AM   #25
emr

While it will be interesting to see the official specs and especially how the camera is in tests and real world use, I don't believe there will be any big surprises left. If there was some really amazing new feature, FF or whatever, it would've certainly have leaked by this time.
09-18-2010, 02:39 AM   #26
Forum Member

very interested to see if pentax can pull out any surprises.

looking back I think the great thing about pentax is that most bodies they have released have had features at a pricepoint that were not available before

k10d - 40d resolution/features released a year earlier as well as being cheaper. First in body SR + pro body.

k100d - breaking new ground for lowest price dslr as well as first (?) to have iso3200
in body SR at this price point also adds to the money saved. canikon didnt bundle SR in their kits lenses until much later.

k20d - highest mpx camera at price point at time of release. first to have micro adj for more than 1 lens in this class (?) wacky 21fps option @1.6mpx as its the last body released before movie mode.

k200d - cheapest weather sealed body available, still also keeps the top lcd.

k2000 / km - released 3 months after 1000d but severely undercuts it on price

k7 - first camera to have hdr - first to have pro body + movie clips (?) - first to have 100% viewfinder for this price level.

kx - raises the bar considerably on the iso front, especially considering the price, funky colours to appeal to wider market

kr - IR transfer? first to offer dual power source - first to offer 5fps at this price point (?)

k5 - with d7000 release - anything??

I think its pretty good that they have been able to do something special or undercut the competition for every release for such a small company.

Just really hope pentax can keep the ball rolling either on the features or price front.
imo improved flash/mpx/iso/af just to be even with canikon isnt enough. It needs to beat them in some way.

ok, just thought of 1 thing they can have, the rumoured 8fps at this price point. Just hope there is more.
09-18-2010, 03:12 AM   #27
Veteran Member

are we sure about 20th???

Even the date was a rumor!!!
So far I have heard 21st first, then it was 22nd and now we have 20th...

I guess by wednesday we know all...
09-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by silverknight Quote

k200d - cheapest weather sealed body available, still also keeps the top lcd..
I think they need to continue that way. IMHO a relative cheap sealed DSLR can do more for Pentax than a FF.
09-18-2010, 04:13 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I think they need to continue that way
Too late for this generation - that was the K-r 's prerogative. In terms of sales and production costs I think they decided for funky colours over weathersealing. I think the K-r is already creeping up in price and adding weathersealing would probably put it square above the prices of the 500d / 5000d which kills the point/value
09-18-2010, 04:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

is there any inside information that tell you that K-5 will use a non-crippled mount, Adam?

--