Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #76
Forum Member

Whatever pentax bring us, I'm afraid that nikon will be the better buy this time, not only for current nikon users but also for many others.

09-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
AF will not be significantly better than K-7;

what are your surprised, expected, and dissapointed conditions?

Somebody please close the door behind me ......
09-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #78

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by claude21 Quote
Whatever pentax bring us, I'm afraid that nikon will be the better buy this time, not only for current nikon users but also for many others.
Uhhmmmm.. NOT FOR ME!

Sure I was intrigued by the D7000, but I wear glasses, and it's short eye relief distance = DO NOT BUY. Quite simple.

And I've thought about the D700/D800, even D400... but the cost of replacing all that glass I have (about 21 lenses, I think)... LOL!!!

I might as well get a 645D!

But it's nice to know we have a forum member that can see into the future and is looking out for us simpletons and can tell most of us what will work best ...
09-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by rt22306 Quote
I really want to see what is announced Monday, and later some reviews. Last time Pentax got me this excited about a new model, I bought it! (K10D..and would have a K-7 but....)

Same here. But no pediatrician's waiting room colors on this one, just basic black, please.

09-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #80
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
Uhhmmmm.. NOT FOR ME!

Sure I was intrigued by the D7000, but I wear glasses, and it's short eye relief distance = DO NOT BUY. Quite simple.

And I've thought about the D700/D800, even D400... but the cost of replacing all that glass I have (about 21 lenses, I think)... LOL!!!

I might as well get a 645D!

But it's nice to know we have a forum member that can see into the future and is looking out for us simpletons and can tell most of us what will work best ...
You reaction is understandable as a loyal pentax user, however, a first time buyer for exemple will mostly choose canon or nikon. If you look at specs and price of thoses cameras (60d vs d7000) nikon wins.

You don't need to replace ALL your lens but if the cost of replacing them frighten you, don't even thing about the 645D !
09-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #81

You reaction is understandable as a loyal pentax user, however, a first time buyer for exemple will mostly choose canon or nikon. If you look at specs and price of thoses cameras (60d vs d7000) nikon wins.

You don't need to replace ALL your lens but if the cost of replacing them frighten you, don't even thing about the 645D !
I'm not that loyal; my comments about moving to Nikon aren't in jest. I love how fast the AF on the D700 is, and I prefer the bigger body (although not for many hours of shooting). That's one reason I still shoot the K20D, and skipped the K-7.

And a first time user? Should they not consider SR? WR lenses? Or perhaps Pentax lenses that are already in the family? How about ergonomics and handling? Would they not have a preference for how skin tones and textures are rendered?

And maybe, just maybe, the K-5 will just plain kick ass. Then the decision is easy. But I forgot, you're under NDA or a beta tester, so you already know the K-5 sucks donkey balls. Good for you.

And yes, I'd replace ALL my lenses...eventually. At least a dozen are truly unique. I have a couple of duplicates in the 50mm and 135mm types. And I wasn't aware that you know my current inventory, too. Truly awesome are your powers!

The issue with replacing these lenses is the RELATIVE investment of moving from Pentax to VR/IS Canikon equivalents. It's not a dollar for dollar swap. I really don't want to lose $6k on the glass, PLUS the cost of the body (say $2500).

If I was going to jump to a new system I'm not kidding about moving to the 645D. The cost is really quite reasonable, in fact, downright affordable at $12k for a 'known quantity', compared to the loss on the glass swap + $2500.

I'm just waiting for the Canadian launch so I know what the warranty terms are going to be.

Will I jump? Let's see the K-5 first, a $2k body would mean I have $10k left over to buy a couple more 50-135's, because I burn them out every couple of months...
09-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote

The mod/owner started the thread.

09-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixel Pusher Quote
While I realize the need to discuss rumored new gear, there must be SOMEthing else worth mentioning on the homepage, right?
+1

Helps with the post count, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
+1
09-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #84
Inactive Account

was not a first time buyer, but I switched from nikon and sold all my glass as soon as I picked up the k-7 (I only had 5 or so lenses).

Went in to get the nikon 300, and just kept walking back over to k-7.. this went on for an hour or so, walked next door to a pub. Had a few drinks on it.. went back and left with the k-7

And I do not regret it in the least.
09-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #85
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #86

Am I crazy? I swear that I saw full frame k5 somewhere on our homepage.
09-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hidden content may not be quoted
Huh, is that a tease or a fact? Depends on how useful the image would be at 51200 I guess. OK I really can't wait for another day now.
09-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Getting more excited abt K-5
If it is FF... ... wow, just wow.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hidden content may not be quoted
09-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #89
Veteran Member

what are you saying adam? Do you know something we dont?
09-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #90
Veteran Member

I'm sure Adam knows something we don't know but can't tell us because he's in the "who knows" =)