Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 06:01 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
According to Yahoo! Translate: "Absolutely insensitively with high sensitivity range." So it's a funny contradiction in terms.

(Hey, cool, I got to use the Opera right click->translate function!)
it should be more like "absolute insensibilty within high range of sensibilty" - its like A. Hitler and G.W.F. Hegel in one sentence....

09-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
honestly why would they bother photoshopping an old image would be more work than simply placing a k5 into position and snap shot taken
A new K-5 photo would have to be photoshopped anyway. Might as well take an already finished K-7 photo, change one or two things and be done with it.
09-19-2010, 06:13 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Comparing to D7000 they look very similar (each has a few higher feathers here or there) and I guess some expect it to be priced lower. However, I am sure Pentax will set the initial price at least 10% higher that D7000.

I am also wondering how much the new 18-135 will cost? Again, the 18-105 is dirty cheap in a kit, though it's not WR.
Probably the major flaw of the D7000 is the price for a sealed kit. Imagine you buy a D7000 , only to discover that you'd need a usd 1.600,00 24-70/2.8 to have at least one sealed zoom...

Ofcourse by then you won't skip to Pentax anymore but it is not very customer friendly

How much will this new baby will be? And for sure how it will perform is another curiosity.
It will probably perform a bit like DA18-55 WR.
Price?? Not sure yet. In a thread here initial pirce was 1399 for body and 1849 for body + this lens. which would mean 450,00. Rather steep for a kit lens but OTOH, the only other relative cheap sealed "kit like"lens in DSLR world is the Oly Zuiko 14-54 which now sells for about 550,00 with an effective range 28-108 mm, whereas the 18-135 comes to about 27-202mm. But the 14-54 is very good indeed and has a more usefull f-range
09-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Hahaha, the question you need to ask yourself is "Why would they do that?"

If they're just being lazy, you just contradicted yourself. Why would they spend time touching up the K-7 photo in such subtle ways, when really, all they need to do is swap the K-7 with K-5. Why add "1000" for the ISO? Absolutely pointless.
It could be a picture from the same shoot as the K-7 photo, it wouldn't necessarily have to be the exact same photo.

QuoteQuote:
And if you're suggesting it's a fake, that the brochure, and everything is fake, then the question is, why go through all that trouble with the fantasy brochure, only to use an image that is almost identical? (and have someone like you questioning its validity?).

It makes no sense.
The brochure doesn't have to be fake for the pictures to be fake.

09-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #170
Veteran Member

By the way, if we assume these picture are real in one way or another, we can kiss manual exposure control in video goodbye, seeing as it's a mode on the mode dial. For manual control it would reasonably be assigned to another button, so it could be used with M, Av, Tv, etc.
09-19-2010, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #171
Forum Member

Wow, I do like the specifications of this camera and I am anxious to reed the full official press release! If it performs as well as the specifications look on paper, it will be my next body.

What I do not understand reading this thread is a bunch of people who are already bashing this camera without having seen one single shot. A couple of months ago almost everyone here was hoping for a K-7 with an adequate sensor, something like the sensor of the K-x. There was also a strong demand for a better AF system. With the K-5 Pentax delivers us what could be everrything we wished for: good IQ, DR, extended ISO range, all in one of the most ergonomical and tough bodies that one can buy in the prosumer market. And yet some people are already calling the sensor rubbish, the update sluggish, the AF-system incompetent, etc.

Please start taking pictures with your camera and do not bother me with that nonsense. Lets wait for some real world results before we are going to discuss IQ, DR, AF, etc. For now just enjoy the news, two new bodies with interesting specifications and hopefully some new lenses as well. I for one am excited and thrilled!
09-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #172
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-r has SAFOX IX
K-5 has SAFOX VIII+....

It's strange. The mistake of 2 page of specs. First page shows 9+.
Q: How do you ge someone to read (I mean really read with great care) your sales brochure?

ANS: Use the oldest trick in the salesman's playbook. Offer a free drink at the exhibitor's bar for every mistake the reader can point out.

Now that you've exposed the gag... no free drinks for you, Debbie Downer!
09-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #173
ogl
Pentaxian

Comparing to D7000 they look very similar (each has a few higher feathers here or there) and I guess some expect it to be priced lower. However, I am sure Pentax will set the initial price at least 10% higher that D7000.

I am also wondering how much the new 18-135 will cost? Again, the 18-105 is dirty cheap in a kit, though it's not WR. How much will this new baby will be? And for sure how it will perform is another curiosity.
D7000 has 39 AF points and very GOOD AF-C. I think - better than K-5.

09-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
No mention of screwdrive its gooonnne haahahaha
I doubt that there is any need to mention screw drive. I seriously doubt there are new SDM KIT LENSES as well as the new 18-135mm being SDM.

Still miffed that there is no mechanical coupling to sense the aperture ring position, so manual glass users can stop being in "press and guess" land for exposure. Nikon got that right with the D7000!

Be interesting to see the official specs soon!
09-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
Still miffed that there is no mechanical coupling to sense the aperture ring position, so manual glass users can stop being in "press and guess" land for exposure. Nikon got that right with the D7000!
What Nikon did with the D7000 is equivalent with what Pentax cameras can do with A-series lenses. In other words: it's a feature Pentax cameras have had for a long time already. Nikon lenses as old as the K and M-series still can't meter at all on the D7000.
09-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
(...)
Price?? Not sure yet. In a thread here initial pirce was € 1399 for body and € 1849 for body + this lens. which would mean € 450,00. Rather steep for a kit lens but OTOH, the only other relative cheap sealed "kit like"lens in DSLR world is the Oly Zuiko 14-54 which now sells for about € 550,00 with an effective range 28-108 mm, whereas the 18-135 comes to about 27-202mm.
Be prepared to be slightly shocked by the RRP of the 18-135 stand-alone...
09-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #177
Pentaxian

Looks solid and not unsurprising.
If correct, I think the absence of dual SD cards and the 1/250 flash synch might be the most disappointing feature gap.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I'll be happy with a clean ISO 1600, better than 2.9 stops highlight range, and good colours out of the sensor.

And I have just sold my 16-45mm - I think if the 18-135 has been done right, it could be a very powerful attractant to anyone wanting a compact weather sealed lens for travel. Kudos.
09-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #178

If there's no manual video, I'm going to be bitterly disappointed.

By far the most important feature for me, and one that is probably ridiculously easy to implement.

Maybe I'll just have to invest in switching systems instead of the K-5, as painful as that might be, as I absolutely adore the feel of my K-7 and all of my MF K-mount glass (old cheap excellent primes are about the best thing an indie filmmaker could wish for).

Oh well, I'll just have to wait until tomorrow and hope, I guess.
09-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #179

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
D7000 has 39 AF points and very GOOD AF-C. I think - better than K-5.
Sure! K-5 has SR and slightly smaller/lighter body. It all depends on one's preferences.
Personally, if I decide to switch it's not because D7000 is a better body. It would be because Nikon finally has a body (with the feathers and bulk I like) to use with their lenses and third party lenses that are not available for Pentax.
09-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
Agreed! I think we can expect D7000-like behaviour in that regard from future Pentax models. Doing so would allow them to get more creative with their entry-level models. For instance, in an entry-level "student's" camera meant to sit beside the popular K-r line in price/size/sensor.
Closed Thread