Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the K-5's specs is confirmed, the K-5's RAW file will show a definite improvement in color depth (14 bit) over the the K-7's current 12 bit.
A 12 bit image can render 4096 levels whereas 14 bit records 4x more, or 16,384 levels. That will translate to improved shadow detail and smoother color gradients. That certainly has me excited...

09-20-2010, 12:25 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Ít's official: NO release today!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
We'll maybe somebody from Pentax decided not to release it today ....
It won't be released, it will be "announced"...
09-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #318
Veteran Member

Most people complaining about AF seems to have K2**. I don't see the folks with K-7 complaining, neither am I complaining on this regard with my K-x (and I shoot outdoors and birds regularly).

IMGP0478 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

I wonder if there's such a difference between those models regarding AF performance, or if some folks are just a lot more exigent/whiney? If that's the case, there's no reason to think K-5's AF performance won't be better.
09-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #319
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Most people complaining about AF seems to have K2**. I don't see the folks with K-7 complaining, neither am I complaining on this regard with my K-x (and I shoot outdoors and birds regularly).
I wonder if there's such a difference between those models regarding AF performance, or if some folks are just a lot more exigent/whiney? If that's the case, there's no reason to think K-5's AF performance won't be better.
Well, I had K10, K20, now both Kx and K7, and there were some real AF improvements between each one...

The Kx feels a little bit faster and sensitive than the K20... K7 really grinds them all in the dust...

09-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #320
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
The Kx feels a little bit faster and sensitive than the K20... K7 really grinds them all in the dust...
I'm glat that I'm not the only one experiencing the same AF improvements. There's just so much you can read from specsheets, and AF speed is not one of them. So from now on I suggest Pentax to include words like "much improved", "blazingly fast", "cutting edge", etc. in their specsheets. After all, we also have to attract first-time buyers
09-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #321
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Try to catch flying sparrow.
Pls ogl, show me a camera that will do this
Its all about sitting for hours in a bush to do this
09-20-2010, 01:58 AM   #322
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Pls ogl, show me a camera that will do this
Its all about sitting for hours in a bush to do this
?????????? "???????", ????????: ?????? ???????? - ??????? ? ???????, ????????.??
?????????? ???????????? Panurg - Photosight.ru
09-20-2010, 02:07 AM   #323
Veteran Member

Anything in context please ?

Because so far what I can see in the first picture is that the bird was landing on a hand (to pick some food) This looks very stagged to me, mind you, I don't see anything wrong with it and this is a good picture. But the background seems quite far away, the camera could have been prefocused on hand and even put at f8 or higher for a better DOF.

Without any story around it, I don't see any challenge for autofocus sorry. The challenge was on anticipation and choosing the decisive moment (and fast shutter speed)

09-20-2010, 02:11 AM   #324
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Anything in context please ?

Because so far what I can see in the first picture is that the bird was landing on a hand (to pick some food) This looks very stagged to me, mind you, I don't see anything wrong with it and this is a good picture. But the background seems quite far away, the camera could have been prefocused on hand and even put at f8 or higher for a better DOF.

Without any story around it, I don't see any challenge for autofocus sorry. The challenge was on anticipation and choosing the decisive moment (and fast shutter speed)
Dear friend, it's joke. With K-7 and DA*300/4 we can catch even hummingbirds
I saw such photos...
09-20-2010, 02:23 AM   #325
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
A 12 bit image can render 4096 levels whereas 14 bit records 4x more, or 16,384 levels. That will translate to improved shadow detail and smoother color gradients.
No, it won't. You can't discern that many hues, and the noise floor covers shadow detail that miniscule. Even MF backs don't show the extra 2 bits' details in 14 vs. 12 bit files.

For processing, though, more bits are good. But nobody says you can't process in a 16 bit color space from an 8, 12, or 14 bit file, and then write out an 8, 12, or 14 bit file when you're done.

14 bits is for

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Well, here I am (and I shoot indoors and people regularly). The K-7's AF is certainly good for static subjects. It isn't great for moving subjects at close range in dim light, however (though better than the K20D was). And nobody who has used a D300 and a K-7 has ever claimed the K-7 (or Pentax' SDM lenses) to be on par when it comes to moving subjects.

So quit calling people who are not entirely satisfied whiners, accept that there are people with higher demands on their equipment, and be happy you aren't one of them (because that's expensive and frustrating).
09-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #326
ogl
Pentaxian

it's more interesting new ring motor in DA18-135...
DC motor.
ROTARY ACTUATOR
09-20-2010, 02:54 AM   #327
Site Supporter

so finally a ring motor from hoyatax!

what does DC stand for?

in any case, the new 18-135 (16.5-135 tokina?) should be very interesting. hopefully the price isn't stratospheric
09-20-2010, 02:56 AM   #328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fzwo Quote
So quit calling people who are not entirely satisfied whiners, accept that there are people with higher demands on their equipment, and be happy you aren't one of them (because that's expensive and frustrating).
There will always be people needing more.
There are those people for every type of camera....

There are even Nikon D3x, D700 or Canon 1DsMksomethig shooters who complain!!!!
Not good enough, too large, too heavy.
09-20-2010, 02:57 AM   #329
Forum Member

Of course. But that doesn't give anyone the right to insult these people, does it?
09-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #330
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
so finally a ring motor from hoyatax!

what does DC stand for?

in any case, the new 18-135 (16.5-135 tokina?) should be very interesting. hopefully the price isn't stratospheric
it's not Tokina. Absolutely new lens from Pentax.
Closed Thread