Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I went from the K10D to the K20D to the K-7 and I wouldn't want to touch a K20D or K10D after I got the K-7.
I went from K10D to K-7. But whenever I take K10D in my hands (and I do sometimes), I find it the most capable tool for the job I require it to perform...

Last edited by Boris; 09-19-2010 at 02:27 AM.
09-19-2010, 01:34 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Higher resolution? Check
Better frame rate? Check
Better High ISO performance? Check
Better autofocus? Check
Bonus: Better movie mode? Check
Question is (depending on one's shooting style) - how much of all this is going to be put to use? Personally, I see no reason for me to upgrade from K-7...
09-19-2010, 01:37 AM   #108
ogl
Banned

That would be unfair. I went from the K10D to the K20D to the K-7 and I wouldn't want to touch a K20D or K10D after I got the K-7. It's a MUCH better camera than you would expect from the specs alone.

Maybe you should stay with your K200D, it's "good enough" for you.
K20D is the same K10D with new sensor.
K-5 is the same K-7 with new sensor.

Where is mistake? Do you understand what I mean?

It's the same way - sluggish evolution.

Of course, no any choice again - I'd prefer to stay with K200D. Maybe I wil buy K-7 in several months. The last camera with beatiful picture from CMOS sensor.
09-19-2010, 01:40 AM   #109
ogl
Banned

The second question - where is 12 bit RAW?
All cameras with 14 bit has 12 bit mode too.

It seems to me that second page of specs are not 100% true and full.

09-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What the heck is up with that 8 frames in RAW claim?
Anyone else think that's a little absurd?
09-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #111
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
What the heck is up with that 8 frames in RAW claim?
Anyone else think that's a little absurd?
for 14 bit is normal...but where is 12 bit mode? I think 8 RAW for 14-bit, 14 RAW for 12-bit.

Last edited by ogl; 09-19-2010 at 02:13 AM.
09-19-2010, 02:07 AM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Question is (depending on one's shooting style) - how much of all this is going to be put to use? Personally, I see no reason for me to upgrade from K-7...
Higher resolution is always nice to have but 14MP is good enough IMO.
Movie: happy with 720p but I wouldn't dismiss 1080p.
Better AF: not id everyday use, but a good AF-C will make me think about upgrade.
Better ISO: hopefully we have good lighting in the Studio so not in a hurry but usable 6400/12800 iso would be cool.

All in all, a very nice camera. I'll probably wait, because:
  • I don't want to pay full price twice in a row,
  • I don't have money anyway right now.
  • There may be other priorities in the photo department (photo courses), a bag and reflector already, soon scalpels (yes you read that right) ...
The 18-135WR has me interested but I'll wait optical/price verdict before. If it is a good as my 16-45 and is /3.5-4.5 (which I doubt very much) I may replace the 16-45.

09-19-2010, 02:12 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Sure, if the sensor is really the same as the D7000, there's no way that the K-5 will be fundamentally better at high ISO. I still maintain that if the K-5 can and will produce acceptable results at ISO51,200, then that is a good thing, even if it's only because of the fact that they can use it to market their camera.
The pentax K-X was ahead of the D5000 by atleast a half step, if they can do that again with the same sensor then we are flying.

(again, from real pictures and not from DXO)
09-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
for 14 bit is normal...but where is 12 bit mode?
16MP +2 FPS + 14bit = I suppose so...

I hope things improve with DNG(compressed?) because 8 frames is way to short to use on a gig tbh.

I also hope the dual card option can work to reduce write times too.

-

Someone on dpreview claiming to have the K-5 brochure(apparently) mentioned predictive tracking...
09-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #115

my only concern is the buffer - higher frame rate and greater mp without increased buffer is abit pointless - 8 raw frames until buffer fills - 7 frames a second thats just over 1 second before your full - not very handy for getting the shot - if true they better have a mode for 5 fps and 12bit images to at least give us something close to the k-7
09-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
All in all, a very nice camera. I'll probably wait, because:

* I don't want to pay full price twice in a row,
* I don't have money anyway right now.
* There may be other priorities in the photo department (photo courses), a bag and reflector already, soon scalpels (yes you read that right) ...

The 18-135WR has me interested but I'll wait optical/price verdict before. If it is a good as my 16-45 and is /3.5-4.5 (which I doubt very much) I may replace the 16-45.
Scalpels??? Well, I will write you off the record ...

Presently, I am looking for a camera like Bessa R3M and Voigtlander 35/1.7 or 40/1.4 lens... Gonna pay a visit to local film shops...
09-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
my only concern is the buffer - higher frame rate and greater mp without increased buffer is abit pointless - 8 raw frames until buffer fills - 7 frames a second thats just over 1 second before your full - not very handy for getting the shot - if true they better have a mode for 5 fps and 12bit images to at least give us something close to the k-7
I beleive the D700 shoots 11 frames at 8 FPS in 14bit RAW.
But those are 10MP files also... so if you factor in file size it should be quite close.

TBH. I feel the same way, and if the 12/14bit advantage is justifiable, it will only motivate people to shoot in 14bit mode that much more. But... there is still room for lossless compression RAW also. So I wouldn't say all is lost just yet.

FTR. I get aprox. 3 extra frames shooting DNG with a class 10 Sandisk than I do with PEF. So perhaps the K-5 will see a continuous shooting advantage with larger DNG's as well.

I sure hope so ..
09-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #118
axl
Veteran Member

That would be unfair. I went from the K10D to the K20D to the K-7 and I wouldn't want to touch a K20D or K10D after I got the K-7. It's a MUCH better camera than you would expect from the specs alone.

Maybe you should stay with your K200D, it's "good enough" for you.
That is very personal assumption. I have been trying K-7 on several occasions but for my shooting style it's not better than K10D. It's just too small and the colours coming from the Samsung chip are nowhere near as nice as from K10's Sony CCD. Not to mention the effects of AA filter... I'll wait and see how the IQ of K-5 will be...

Again, this is just my personal opinion and that's after reading this thread from OP to last page 8reply in one go..

On the paper this seems nice camera. Time will tell...
09-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote

Im really disappointed with the lack of dual SD and the 1/80 sync speed but oh well.
Ofcourse that could/would be nice but we know have SD cards with 4 to 8 times the Gb we used to have when we first demanded dual slots.

I don't even think dual slots wold sell more, especially in brick wall stores....
"what do you want in you camera, sir?"
"um, dual slots"
"ah but you dont need them "
'why not?
"well in the past we had mainly 1Gb cards but now you can pop in 8Gb cards and with those you can take 500 pcs on a single card. that is more than you will usually shoot in a single day, and you could even use 16 or 32Gb cards.... That should me more than enough for a week, the battery probably would not last that long ..."
"you have convinced me, single SD slot is more than enough"

QuoteOriginally posted by tupelo Quote
, what else do I need.

A beer... thats what.
best remark since rumors of K-5 started...

QuoteOriginally posted by tupelo Quote
a

Can an iso that high even be useful. . or will it just be a noisy mess?.
Only usefull if you cannot get what you want any ther way, but t wil be noisy. However, 512000 would mean probably mean usefull 256 and very usefull 126 so i can print 6400 at A2 size without a hint of noise. .

Anyways, the 18-135/WR has been a personal "wish list lens"for a lng time, migt as well get that lens with the K-5 kit-camera....

Not much use in waiting for prices to drop K-7 prices in Holland haven't dropped much...
09-19-2010, 03:09 AM   #120

Original Poster
Priyantha, why didn't you post these here like you did on the Dutch forum? I think there are many readers able to read German.

I'm personally not so sure about the specsheet because of the apparent SAFOX version error and some of the wording, but we'll see tomorrow

That was because I thought we Dutch could read German but the most people here not, but that was certainly a mistake I think :P
Closed Thread